Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old July 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Strat Intonation

So i picked a Wilkinson 2-point and a GFS 2-point.

One is dead on with the intonation but the other is slightly off. So when I'm in tune though-out the 1-6 on the 5th fret.

Then I move up to the 12th fret and though the notes are dead-on at the open position they are running slightly dharp on a couple at the 12th fret. NNot all of them most are right on but one or two are off.

So am I screwing the Steel screw in towards me to bring these specific saddles into tune?

Thanks im advance fellows. These twp points still are not like my 6 OLD Style harware Trems. Very touchy. But with the Wilky and GFS USA 2-point units I'm already getting great sustain and Tone. Once I'm intonated correctly I'll be in da House!

Strat-Man-Do is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Yes,If you are slightly sharp lengthen the string by turning the screw back,I have a Wilky and they are very touchy,,But once set they are lovely!!!
bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Here's the two-point trems. Notice how similiar the GFS is to the Fender Deluxe. Nice unit for sure. Both are a breeze to install.

Sometime today after the intonation is set right I'll add the photo's. The Sienna USA Lonstar in the Avatar has the GFS 2-point added to it. I LOVE IT!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I have the bottom one,,I have the intonation,Right on the money,Make sure you have the set screw in the back touching the top screw.Check at 12 fret with tuner,Slightly loosen top screw,turn back screw out just a hair,tighten top and check until you get it,You may have to push saddle back till it bottoms on set screw,Remember to move just a hair at a time,,Thats how I set mine and its been right on the money..check to make sure the high E is set at 251/2 from nut and go from there!!

Old July 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

You have a shot of what your Strat bridge actually looks like Totally intonated? I have the guitars completed since speaking with you yeaterday bRO. BTW what a difference in the Tone of them. trully amazing.

While the Tuning is spot on now the low-e saddle seems very close to the rear of the bridge now? No big deal, and I'd rather have it look this way then be intonated wrong.

At any rate I'm happy with the Tone of the Strat,

I also was fooling with the American Series Strat Trem.. There really is NOT much STEEL on those units. The Block is not Steel, The saddles are not Steel, and if I'm not mistaken the bridge itself isn't attracting the magnet either? Have to double check but from memory thats what was happening. OH the Arm was also not Steel, BTW this was with the American Series Trem Unit I'm speaking on and its a 2001 unit. I could easily check the American del;uxe unit also. But I already know that Block is not steel, the saddles do appear tp be steel but I have a notion they are not.

This is a EXTREMELY important part to have right on your Strat for sustain and Tone. This and very well cut BONE NUT are imperitive!

Old July 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Hey,,I will post a detailed pic of my Wilky as soon as the wife gets up!!lol,The saddles couple of my saddles are kinda far back,,On a couple of strings but the intonation is spot on,,You can play (example) an E bar chord 12th fret and play an E chord anywhere else and it is spot on,,Same in all keys,,Will have a pic for you today!!!!!!!

Old July 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Here ya go,,,Hope these pics help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Strat Intonation-wilky1.jpg  Strat Intonation-wilky2.jpg  Strat Intonation-wilky3.jpg  

Old July 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

From what I understand you installed the Wilky on a Strat that had a two point trem.already,,Or did you have to drill the holes for the anchors,,I had to drill the ones on my Bullet,(Pictured)Its about as close as I could get so the Strings were straight down the neck.I wouldn`t have done it if it were a more costly Strat..Though I love the unit..Just curious how your Strat was.

Old July 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
LeftyStrategist

Looks like there's plenty enough room on each side of the saddle screws for more adjustment. Get it all your open strings with the tuner, then fret your root up to like 9-12 somewhere and trust your ear string to string try a root and the 7th, pull the next 7th strings note and if it pulls into tune, you are flat. If it pulls more outta tune you are sharp. Those top screws on the saddles look like they take a little more patience. I find this method a bit easier, because how many have a true strobe tuner at home ?