Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

1979 yes or no please help

I have an option to trade my les paul studio for a monaco yellow strat 1979. Concerns does not have original pick ups and neck looks beat bad and the rest i just dont know so please help.
Attached Thumbnails
1979 yes or no please help-img_2237.jpg  1979 yes or no please help-img_2240.jpg  

Itnixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I would play it beforehand. If you lie it by all means go for it

Fuzz
bigmuff113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I would trade a LP Studio for it for sure.
airmanbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I don't know about authenticity, I'll leave that to the forum experts, but it looks amazing!
srvwannab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member!

the neck seems to be the only real thing the tuners are wrong and the body is mint and the yellow is off

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member!

I think its a yellow white reissue with a 79 neck

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

it could be the lighting, but it looks too dark/greenish to be monaco yellow... And as someone else pointed out, the tuners aren't original.
ZackiHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

It's a COOL color. One of the International Series? If so, it could be a good find. Will probably be on the heavier side.
mutato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Monaco Yellow comes from the "international colour series" strats which were issued in 1981 and included other colours like Morocco Red, Capri Orange, Maui Blue, etc. The original ones had black pickup covers and knobs. The necks were of the large headstock, 3-bolt + bullet truss rod configuration, just like the 70's models.

So, although the serial number would indicate that it's a '79 neck, it might actually be the guitar's original one as it's not uncommon to find strats with earlier serial numbers - probably due to either neck or decal overstocking.

One thing I noticed - although the pic is not that clear - is that the neck apprears be scalloped (and refretted) like the Malmsteen strat, so you might want to try it first plus you should be aware that such a modification might devalue the guitar a bit.

But overall you are right, the wear on the neck is not consistent with the wear on the body and hardware so proceed with caution. The seller should be willing to take the neck and pickguard off so you can see some heel/neck/body dates - if he doesn't, walk away.
blackstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

That neck looks great!, However, there's no way that it got that well played on that body, unless there are alot of scratches and dings that don't show in this picture. Or it's a refin. My guess is it's NOT a refin, but, a rebod, I would have a good look around under the hood, and see what else has gone on, besides the changed pick-ups, tuners, rebody or refin, new pick guard. etc...etc...etc...
Having said that, how does it play & sound? Do you like it better than your LPS?
The guitar looks way cool to me! love the oddball color, and that old, comfortable well worn neck!
Strat edgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I would not do it. Late 70's Strats where hit and miss at best. I owned a few so I know.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itnixon View Post
I have an option to trade my les paul studio for a monaco yellow strat 1979. Concerns does not have original pick ups and neck looks beat bad and the rest i just dont know so please help.
Agree with the others, something looks off about how clean the body is compared to the neck. It'd be like checking out a used can with 30K on the clock but the leather and steering wheel are all beat to ****. If you can verify the body is legit, I'd trade a Les Paul Studio for it in a heartbeat. Late-70s Strats may have been relatively hit-or-miss compared to today's quality control, but I've played some GREAT 70s Fenders, and some of the occasional problems like the sloppy neck joint can easily be fixed with some shimming.

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

From the prices on EBay a 1979 Strat neck alone is worth as much as a used LP Studio.
slowesthand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I love 70's Strat's but I wouldnt do that trade. That guitar looks like a partscaster essentially, and not a very good one. I'd bet the neck is the only 70's part on it, and it's in pretty bad shape.

Also, with what 70's Strats currently sell for, nobody who has a fairly original one is going to trade it for an LP studio, imo.
Stringbender11 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

The color, IMO, is ugly as sin.

If you like it, and have thoroughly checked out the authenticity, then go for it.
nickmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

After reading this thread I say don't.
SkinnyMan1825 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

I'm all for vintage and beat up strats. But I wouldn't trade your Les Paul for this. If it was a strat from'54-'70 I would go for it
mozzarate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmsmith View Post
The color, IMO, is ugly as sin.

If you like it, and have thoroughly checked out the authenticity, then go for it.
Lol. "The colour reminds me of...

...but the important thing is if you like it !!"

Seriously though, It looks like a good player. It depends on your personal tastes. LP or 79 Strat. We can't make those type of decisions for you. Well.....we can ....but this situation doesn't call for it.

Good luck.

Old May 21st, 2012, 07:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

The hardware should be black the original black plastic could cost up to £500 with pups mine sounds great with cs69s, the off colour is due to the nitro overcoat of the poly, ageing
garyhoos1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzarate View Post
I'm all for vintage and beat up strats. But I wouldn't trade your Les Paul for this. If it was a strat from'54-'70 I would go for it
That would be like someone offering to trade a '54 to '70 Vette for your used Accord.
slowesthand is offline   Reply With Quote