Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old June 24th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Do I need to use Lacquer after painting a guitar

Hi,
I'm building my first strat
I wanted to refinish the body, so I stripped the paint to a primer level and painted it with a spray - Looks great. After that I sprayed some kind of lacquer on the paint, and it made some tiny ugly brown dots on the finish, so I'm planning to strip it again. Any suggestions whether it's necessary to finish with lacquer or the paint is enough? Thanks.

mulic3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

depends on what paints you,re using. Auto paint will have a gloss finish that can be polished up to a shine,but if you want a deeper finish you ,ll need to spray clear lacquer on top. Tiny dots sound like moisture in the finish
CeltRocka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

It looks great. I'm asking in terms of stability. Won't the color peel?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 24th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

It will be more sensitive to chipping and wear, but if you don't mind the "well worn" look it'll work for you.
crapthatsloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Do I need to use Lacquer after painting a guitar
Lacquer IS paint…. just a certain kind…. it's like ya asked do I need to use paint after painting my. . . .

but… I think you were asking if you need to use a clear coat after applying the color coats…. answer, not necessarily, it just depends on what kind of finish you want…

r

"When you want to help people, you tell them the truth, when you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." Dr. Thomas Sowell
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

When you are using spray cans of paint like Krylon, you really need to let them cure for a long time. Real lacquer should stick to most anything so it sounds like the lacquer you used might have been old. It does have a shelf life and you should use good stuff.
With that said though, clear coat is just paint with no color and it will wear the same as your colored coats. The best way to ensure durability is to let the paint get hard. I cure my paint for no less than 6 weeks, and most of the time I let it sit for a few months.
You can buy Epoxy paint in spray cans. That stuff is really durable.
You only get out what you put in. Buy good paint and ask questions where you purchase these products. A lacquered (Nitro) finish is not a very durable finish. It is not supposed to be but if you use it properly and really let it cure for a long time... You can get professional results with a little practice. Don't be cheap and never rush. That will cost you more and slow you down...
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Well, Why's my tele feels like solid stone, and the spray paint color can be pierced with my fingernail? Is it just a matter of time, and will get strong even without lacquer? Thanks guys.

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I use fast dry enamel for the color, then wet sand with 800 wet dry sand paper, you can rub that out with a good polish....to get a gloss shine, or cover it with clear gloss polyurathane, then sand it once its dry, then put on a final clear coat, this will be more durable and very glossy! Just take your time to let the different coats cure fully before the next coats. Seems that for me...the big problem is sanding at the body edges, so you don't sand through the finish...a very light touch is in order! ..........poppa
MrPoppa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

painting results.............

Here is my latest paint job on a 1981 Fender Bullet, without a clear coat final!
Attached Thumbnails
Do I need to use Lacquer after painting a guitar-1981-fender-bullet-004.jpg  Do I need to use Lacquer after painting a guitar-1981-fender-bullet-007.jpg  

Old June 25th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

same guitar with clear coat poly, just didn't like the purple!

The purple monster! I have given this guitar back to my son, He found it in a dumptser but only the body and the tele neck, cool guitars!, the electronics are out of a Squier Affinity, a new hars tail bridge was needed, but the thing sounds awsome!................poppa
Attached Thumbnails
Do I need to use Lacquer after painting a guitar-012.jpg  Do I need to use Lacquer after painting a guitar-011.jpg  

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thank you Poppa. She looks beautiful! If I'll go without clear coat finish too, will I be at risk of paint chipping?

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoppa2 View Post
Here is my latest paint job on a 1981 Fender Bullet, without a clear coat final!
Poppa, can't quite put my finger on it but I reckon there is something wrong with the upper horn. Think you might have a fake there
xoso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I did two guitars, without primer (on your own risk, if you like a bit of grain sinking) and without clear. The paint can be sanded smooth and polished to high gloss when hard enough. You just need to put more of it because some of it will be sanded.

Most of the paint in cans will chip/scratch a lot easier than very durable poly finish. But that is what most of us are after ;) Some high quality nitro cans from well known suppliers are very durable and hard to scratch.
SurfStrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The first thing you need to do is understand what kind of paint you are using and what it is compatible with and what it's not compatible with. Lacquer is pretty good at destroying some types of new paint (like enamel). If you plan to end with a clear lacquer, I'd start with a BIN shellac white primer over sanding sealer, then lacquer color, then lacquer clear. I find that it takes me 3 months to properly spray enough coats, let them cure, sand, let it cure some more, sand some more, polish and hang it for a bit longer. If you hurry it, you'll get grain coming through a month later.

The guitar in my avatar was done with the process above.

Old June 26th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

No matter what paint you use on a guitar, with or without clearcoat, it is going to get scratched and dinged up over time, but if it is white that you are looking for, You can get white epoxy paint from Wallmart. That is pretty much the toughest paint you are giong to find in a spray can. It will stick great to most anything and it comes in high gloss. It takes about 12 hours to dry to touch. They actually use it for appliances but it works great on guitars. It comes in white and black only. Some stores may have it in red as well.
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote