Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Clapton & Mayer Strats

Hey fellow players! I'm currently mulling over what guitar to go with for my next purchase. I currently have a '11 Am. Std. Strat and an '06 Lite Ash Tele (trying to sell) and I'm currently looking at the Clapton and Mayer Strats. Just would like some input from those who have or have played either of them. Just to help me make the best choice. Although I probably shouldn't mention it here Im also considering a '12 Les Paul Studio...much thanks to all those who can chime in. And trust me, which ever I decide to get ill be sure to post a NGD with pics a plenty :D

DGGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

In my opinion you are probably better off with a higher grade strat than a lower grade Les Paul.. For Not a lot more than the Mayer or Clapton Strats you could get a Les Paul traditional if it's something like that you are after.

The Clapton is probably more versatile. The 25db boost was made for him to be able to sound a bit more like a Les Paul.

I've heard great things about the Mayer, but also that it is kind of a one trick pony. Albeit, it does that trick rather well.

Also the necks are quite different. Clapton has a soft V whereas the Mayer has a fairly substantial C shape I believe.

I would go for the Clapton, or save up for a Les Paul traditional if I were you, but hey, that's just my opinion.
martynrss2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Aside for the obvious difference in pickups, the Clapton neck is a deep V, Mayer is more of a full C...both pretty meaty necks. I personally don't like the neck on either and I have pretty big hands. Silent Octave has had both recently, he could probably tell you more about the differences.
Southy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Great input guys. Anyone able to explain exactly how the Clapton dB boost works and how it works without traditional tone pots?

Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The Mayer neck is one of my personal favorites. Next to the Strat Plus neck which is pretty close except for a 1 11/16 nut instead of a 1 5/8. I've played the Clapton neck and it's pretty nice too. They are different necks totally. It really depends on what your hands like.
bowtiefanatc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Yea, I'm totally aware of the neck differences, which I'm not too worried about. I'm mainly concerned about my options with the Clapton strat not having traditional tone pots, but I love the idea of a 25 dB boost in my guitar. But at the same time Mayer is pretty much the reason I started playing. But I don't wanna be THAT guy if you know what I mean.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGGriffin View Post
Great input guys. Anyone able to explain exactly how the Clapton dB boost works and how it works without traditional tone pots?
The way the mid-boost circuit is set up on the Clapton is as follows:

1. The top knob is a volume control.

2. The middle knob is the TBX tone control at the halfway point it has a detent, up to the detent it functions exactly like a standard tone control. After the detent it cuts bass giving almost a treble boost like effect.
The TBX is a master tone working on all pickups.

The Fender TBX Tone Control, Part 1 - Premier Guitar

3. The bottom knob is an active mid-boost. It is always providing some boost,so even if set on zero it will be louder than a normal guitar. On 10 it provides 25db of boost.
slowesthand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Just a thought. Rewire your standard so that it has a volume, a master tone control, and a volume boost as the third knob. I doubtit would cost much even if a tech did it.

Then buy the les Paul studio.

I have one and I really like it.

Best of both worlds and a lot more variation than two strats.
SkinnyMan1825 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Ok cool, thanks for the rundown on how the controls work. I've thought about modding my Strat before. But I just feel like I've got a really good one and don't wanna mess with it.

Old July 24th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGGriffin
Ok cool, thanks for the rundown on how the controls work. I've thought about modding my Strat before. But I just feel like I've got a really good one and don't wanna mess with it.
I was in the exact same boat. But altering the electronics won't effect the playability. It will effect the sound a little. If you like the idea of a mid boost or a knob to fatten you sound, you can always just by an Mxr micro amp, eq pedal or tubescreamer variant to yield similar results.

I bought the les Paul studio. I ended up altering the electronics on my strat too. Didn't change the play or feel of the guitar at all. I didn't get a boost knob, I have pedals for that. I went with a blender pot that blends the bridge in with the neck for the 3rd pot. And my 2nd pot now is a master tone which took a lot of the harshness off the bridge pickup.

Buy the les. And then mod your strat or buy a pedal.

You have wider tonal options with a Paul, a strat and a pedal than with two strats IMO.
SkinnyMan1825 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

during my quest to aquire more gear last year i tried a clapton strat and was very disappointed. i hated the noiseless pickups (very thin and weak) and couldn't really understand the difference between using the boost circuit and cranking the amp up a bit! haven't tried the JM strat but love the tone he gets, although i suspect that he doesn't always use one himself.

i ended up spending a little more and getting a custom shop deluxe, which is a freakin' amazing guitar.
himijendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I love my Mayer strat- the neck is a beauty, but you really have to have a set style/genre of playing to use the sound that is produced by it. The clapton strat will be far more versatile but I wouldnt trade.

My personal favourite guitars at the minute are my PRS Custom 22 artist which is set up so well and produces so many different sounds I barely use anything else....and my Ibanez JS1000 because the damn thing is so easy to play and the tone is un-earthly...
IbanezDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

The Clapton strat is exceptional.
Just remember you'll have to feed it.
And keep a backup 9v in the case.

Some rave about Mayer's pickups.
But it's fun to note he has been seen playing a Jeff Beck model on his recent TV appearances.
firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Has he? I might have to check out some of those videos then. I really love my current strat, feel, sound, just everything about it. I'm starting to think the Mayer strat might be my best bet. I mainly play in multiple church bands, and blues when I'm at home. Plus I just love that Mayer tone.

Old July 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGGriffin
Has he? I might have to check out some of those videos then. I really love my current strat, feel, sound, just everything about it. I'm starting to think the Mayer strat might be my best bet. I mainly play in multiple church bands, and blues when I'm at home. Plus I just love that Mayer tone.
He Has! And I first watched the videos from a link on this site too! Woah!!!

Old July 24th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stra...eck-strat.html

Old July 24th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Love the sarcasm...anyways. That video is quite old, any links to any newer videos with him playing the Beck strat?

Old July 24th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Also, the clapton has vintage frets if I recall correctly. I am not sure the Mayer is a 'one trick pony' either. The pups do the fender clean thing VERY WELL. Maybe my favorite fender branded clean pups. They don't do as well with a single overdrive pedal, BUT, they do the overdrive pedal into another overdrive thing heavenly. BD-2 in front of TS-808 is rocking with that guitar.
AmericanSun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Awesome, already have a BD-2, playing through a BJrIII. I think I'm leaning toward the Mayer, and picking up a JHS Klon.

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Just a bit more info on the Clapton. The soft V neck is, to my hands, *very* comfortable - particularly if you have a "thumb over" style. Also, the mid-boost is just a gain boost... On less extreme settings it adds a bit of extra mids to the sound to fatten the tone up - Clapton wanted it to be able to get him into Les Paul territory without having to swap guitars. It does that very well - I use it on mine for things like AC/DC tunes, Free covers, Cream songs... And although the EC sig has vintage gauge frets, I believe it does still come with a 9.5" radius neck.

Personally, I'd go for the EC sig... In pewter, please! Unless anyone would care to donate me an older Candy Apple Green model!

On the other hand, I'm leaning towards a Les Paul Trad at the moment. Great guitars - don't rule a Les Paul out, and I seriously suggest looking just a little higher up the tree in terms of Les Paul models - those Traditionals are great and don't come with the silly push-pull coil splits the 2012 Standards and Studios have.