Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Dyeing a strat neck

This is my 1st time dyeing a guitar neck. I used 2 coats of fiebings leather dye USMC black and used 1 coat of tru oil after the dye let me know what y'all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Dyeing a strat neck-forumrunner_20120731_105343.jpg  Dyeing a strat neck-forumrunner_20120731_105441.jpg  

astacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by astacks
This is my 1st time dyeing a guitar neck. I used 2 coats of fiebings leather dye USMC black and used 1 coat of tru oil after the dye let me know what y'all think?
Looks great! Much more uniform. What year is the neck? What does the back look like?
burro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Awesome result, looks very dark like ebony but you can still see the grain.

Cheers,
Robin
Robins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

where did you get that leather dye? and how'd you do it? Cool. Will it rub off on your fingers?
nickmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I got the dye from Tandy Leather (don't know how common that store is). In the box was the dye and some type of cotton on a metal rod I used that to put the dye on.

I dipped it in the dye then went up and down the neck making sure to cover all the fret board. Don't worry about the frets or the inlays it'll wipe right off. Then I used a soft cloth to wipe the extra off you probably should wipe the sides of each individual fret to remove any dye that's right up on the fret.

As far as rubbing off on your fingers it hasn't I even let my fingers get sweaty and none came off I think it soaked in the wood pretty good.

It was just a squier neck by the way.

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Personally, I like the prominent rosewood grain it had originally, but it certainly doesn't look bad darker, if that's your preference.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadzab
Personally, I like the prominent rosewood grain it had originally, but it certainly doesn't look bad darker, if that's your preference.
Yea it was nice but most of my strats have milk chocolate looking necks when I get it all together you'll see why I wanted a dark neck on this one

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Just a Squier neck?.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by astacks View Post
I got the dye from Tandy Leather (don't know how common that store is). In the box was the dye and some type of cotton on a metal rod I used that to put the dye on.

I dipped it in the dye then went up and down the neck making sure to cover all the fret board. Don't worry about the frets or the inlays it'll wipe right off. Then I used a soft cloth to wipe the extra off you probably should wipe the sides of each individual fret to remove any dye that's right up on the fret.

As far as rubbing off on your fingers it hasn't I even let my fingers get sweaty and none came off I think it soaked in the wood pretty good.

It was just a squier neck by the way.
Not wishing to start something, but Some Squiers have wonderfull necks, most are as good as Fenders, they are all made pretty much the same way. People are always looking for Squier Bullet necks, they happen to be very nice. Ace Hardware has an Ebony wood stain that works very good on necks, just rub it on with a soft cloth and let it dry then wipe the frets, no clear coating on Rosewood. ......poppa
MrPoppa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoppa2

Not wishing to start something, but Some Squiers have wonderfull necks, most are as good as Fenders. ......poppa
This is true (not trying to start anything either lol) but for the 1st time I played a USA strat a couple of days ago let's just say I haven't been missing anything at all.