Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Any Strat Pawn Shop '51 Owners here?

Played one at my local GC recently and I'm thinkin' I need to bag this one... it's a bit of an odd bird (Tele neck, Strat body, Texas Spl. neck pickup, Enforcer Humbucker bridge pup), it sounds and plays (and to my eyes, looks) awesome! Just wondering who else here may share the enthusiasm? The quality of the Japanese build is impressive. Labor Day 15% discount... brings it to like $680. This hobby is so addicting.

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart
Played one at my local GC recently and I'm thinkin' I need to bag this one... it's a bit of an odd bird (Tele neck, Strat body, Texas Spl. neck pickup, Enforcer Humbucker bridge pup), it sounds and plays (and to my eyes, looks) awesome! Just wondering who else here may share the enthusiasm? The quality of the Japanese build is impressive. Labor Day 15% discount... brings it to like $680. This hobby is so addicting.
I tought these were Chinese? Like the modern players since Japan isn't selling guitars in America anymore.

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Juan... this one was made in Japan.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

That's really cool I'm a sucker for oddly shaped fenders I don't know why I always love it when fender does something different.

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Way Awesomer

ive messed around on a few of these pawn shop guitars, they are built really nice, after an electronics change to make it more my style i would be very happy with one thats for sure. 600 bucks.. not bad. if they were 450 they would be flying off the shelves
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjosebh View Post
I tought these were Chinese? Like the modern players since Japan isn't selling guitars in America anymore.
The first series of Pawn Shop guitars were made in Japan, the newer Pawn Shop models are MIM. Some Japanese Fenders are made for the American Market, however the majority are Japan only
1962 Epiphone Sheraton 50th anniversary
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The entire first wave of Pawn Shop series and Geddy Lee basses are all MiJ.

The 51 was originally a Squier model and quickly became a favored platform for modders. I had two myself.

Any Strat Pawn Shop '51 Owners here?-image-2321814072.jpg

The blonde had no mods.
The black was a complete makeover.
Gfs dual blade in neck pos, Duncan in bridge, new tuners, GFS bridge and pickguard, and a custom refinned headstock with water decals. The volume control was moved to pickup selector local and selector replaced with three way toggle.
firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi

The first series of Pawn Shop guitars were made in Japan, the newer Pawn Shop models are MIM. Some Japanese Fenders are made for the American Market, however the majority are Japan only
You are correct. They seem to have placed less emphasis on the series name for newer models like the Jaguarillo.
firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

MIJ .I played one in a store for about an hour through various amps and its a fine guitar .Typical MIJ high quality.I bought a thinline MIJ tele from Ishibashi in the end but the 51 was a good guitar as indeed was its Squier forunner which I owned .I wish they would make a Pawnshop strat/tele ,strat body ,tele bridge and pickups etc .
musicalmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

NGD for me... the Pawn Shop '51 I just bought from GC is a MIJ model and the quality is superb. I'd never know it from a MIA model, honestly. Sure plays great, that I know for sure. Now I'm eager to see what tones I can squeeze out of it that differ from my '76 Strat and 2012 Select Strat.

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Interestingly enough, the body is NOT actually a strat body, it's modeled after the precision bass. Notice how the contours aren't quite as smooth as a strat's (hard to explain it kinda). The pickguard was based off of the early 51' "tele" P bass, like this:
ZackiHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

I own a 1952 RI Fender Telecaster, but man....this guitar looks real good the way it is and a lot cheaper than my RI. Love the shape of the pick-guard & the colour of the body....Nice axe bro!!

Last edited by RorySquier; September 7th, 2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spell
RorySquier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I tried a modern player at GC a few weeks ago. I wasn't too impressed. It had poor tuning stability, and the frets ends were a bit sharp.
Maybe I just got a bad one. I guess yours was better.
BHighkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHighkin
I tried a modern player at GC a few weeks ago. I wasn't too impressed. It had poor tuning stability, and the frets ends were a bit sharp.
The modern players are the MIC ones! Now I remember!

Old September 7th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have the old Squier version and it's a really great guitar, the design is functional and you get a lot of useful tones. My only gripe is the lack of a tone control but it's not that much of a problem anyway.
blackstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHighkin View Post
I have no idea what you mean when you say a "modern model", but I guess the model you're thinking of might have been a Chinese-made model? Just which one are you speaking about?

I found this Made-in-Japan Pawn Shop '51 at Guitar Center, Clackamas, OR. Perhaps near where your are?

Gotta say, this MIJ axe plays as fluidly and easily as almost any I've played and the quality is as good as any Fender I've seen or played. If my MIJ Pawn Shop '51 is any indication, the MIJ models are golden!