Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

What color is my red Strat?

The documentation that I've found shows it being "TRD" which I assume stands for Torino Red. I was told on one of these forums that my guitar was definitely not TRD. What is the actual color of my guitar? It's a fairly dark red, more of a slightly dark medium red. I know how hard it is to get accurate photos of guitar colors, but does anybody have a guess? Is it like the "Daphne Blue" (really Surf Green) Squier Bullet?

Here are some shots of my Squier Contemporary Series ST-331 short-scale Strat. It was made in Japan circa 1985. It has an A serial number on the neck plate. It has a rosewood fretboard, black headstock, single humbucker, short Gibson 24.75" scale. The output jack is in the pickguard. The two switches are a coil tap switch and a killswitch that I added in the early '90s. The pickup that was in it when I bought it was an Epiphone humbucker, but I put in a cheap EMG Select pickup when I droppedp the guitar and ruined the Epi pickup. It is a very unusual guitar and I've only seen one other one like it (it was black) and a scant few pictures online. This was my first guitar, and I would grab it if my house were on fire and I only had time to grab one of my guitars. I hope to never part with it until my dying day. Plans for this guitar include a Red Dually Lace Sensor since the guitar is not all original. Here is the document in question:

Fender Japan Boxer Series Electric Guitars and Basses Catalog

Note that the ST-331 comes in BLK,TRD, and SNW (I assume SNW means Snow White.) Here are some snapshots:

Carter the Cat approves of the Stratocaster:

This was my first guitar amd I love it to death. The short scale and humbucker give it a Gibson-y sound. It's a unique guitar. I'd buy another one just like it sight unseen if the price were right.

bugo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Cool! I've always fancied a short scale strat, how does it play?
slide5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

it looks like magenta on my screen ...

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

It plays wonderfully. It will keep up with and defeat a lot of much more expensive guitars (I got it for $125 in 1992) and, I dare say without trying to start another Mexican\American/Japanese/Chinese/etc troll thread, but it's a better guitar than some American Fenders that I've played. The short scale makes ends bendless, and it has a bit of a Les Paul sound. The only bad thing about it is the lack of a neck pickup, but since this guitar is bone simple it doesn't bother me.

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

It's not magenta. It's definitely red.

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

How is that a short scale strat?
What is the measurement from nut to bridge?
I wasnt aware there was such a beast...
levonhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think it is red.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Strat 50s vintage white

Hello,
Here is my Strat classic 50s of vintage color 2003 white

isdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

It is definitely not Torino Red. That looks like this:

softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

torino red

Old September 7th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Red.
"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"
Jimmy R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

It looks dark pink to me...
Gibson67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Well, according to the brochure it's Torino Red (TRD) but apparently either the desctiption was a bit generic or the color has somehow faded over the years. It now looks a bit like fiesta red to me. You can take off the pickguard and have a look at the color underneath in order to get a better idea of how the guitar looked when it was new. Great little guitar by the way
blackstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

It looks like seafoam green, or surf to me....

Old September 7th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstrat View Post
Well, according to the brochure it's Torino Red (TRD) but apparently either the desctiption was a bit generic or the color has somehow faded over the years. It now looks a bit like fiesta red to me. You can take off the pickguard and have a look at the color underneath in order to get a better idea of how the guitar looked when it was new. Great little guitar by the way
It looks nothing like Fiesta Red... that color is orangey, kinda like Tomato Soup.

This guitar has a pinkish-magenta-ish kind of color to it. Perhaps it started out looking like Torino Red and faded... or maybe the color was mixed bad. I've noticed that some of the imports have the colors off a bit from what the original vintage colors were.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
It looks nothing like Fiesta Red... that color is orangey, kinda like Tomato Soup.
This also depends on the origin of the fiesta red! For instance, I have a Japanese fiesta red strat and it's not that different, although this guitar is indeed more pinkish and less orangey than mine.
blackstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by levonhelmet View Post
How is that a short scale strat?
What is the measurement from nut to bridge?
I wasnt aware there was such a beast...
It has a Gibson 24.75 inch scale. I didn't even know it did until recently when I measured it. Fender made several models of short scale guitars in the '80s, mostly in the Contemporary Series.

Old September 7th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5 View Post
Cool! I've always fancied a short scale strat, how does it play?
Like a dream. It keeps up with my more expensive guitars and in some ways, outshines them.

Old September 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstrat View Post
Thanks! I love it to death. Its only weakness is a lack of a neck pickup, but the stripped down pickups and controls are part of its appeal.

Old September 7th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Let's all keep in mind that we're dealing with uncalibrated photography and visual displays here.

But to me, it looks kinda like a raspberry-ish color. A cooler shade of pinkish red.
borismcorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote