Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Nicholas Lee Custom Shop Guitars - George Harrison Pre-Rocky Sonic Blue Strat!

Decided to start a new thread devoted to my all time favorite- Mr. George Harrison & the guitar of legends: "Rocky". Just purchased my new "Pre-Rocky" today (from Nicholas Lee Custom Shop Guitars).. & I must say.. although I don't smoke.. I LOVE AN ASHTRAY! Thought I'd attach the video of George playing it . http://
Attached Thumbnails
Nicholas Lee Custom Shop Guitars - George Harrison Pre-Rocky Sonic Blue Strat!-georgeharrisonblueedit.jpg  

StratMasterJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

That's a beautiful one, so what's the story of the guitar?

Old September 24th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

My response was referenced/cited from: George Harrison’s “Rocky” Fender Stratocaster Guitar | FeelNumb.com

In a consolidated version: When The Beatles were in the studio recording “Help!“, John Lennon and George sent roadie Mal Evans out to go get a couple of Fender Stratocasters. Evans came back with matching 1962 Sonic Blue Strats. Both Strats had maple necks & John soon customized his with a rosewood fretboard, ashtray cover & mint green- pick guard. In weeks to come, George would customize his strat, quite similar (rosewood fret & mint guard) and the guitar would eventually be custom painted into the NOTORIOUS "Rocky" which we know today.

George first played the original, maple neck & fret (pre-rocky) Sonic Blue strat on “You’re Going To Lose That Girl.”

On “Nowhere Man,” both John and George played their Strats together.

The bright, sparkling tone is evident in George’s ringing chord-melody solo.
StratMasterJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 24th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

This is a great looking guitar, congratulations!!

I just wanted to point out that the sonic blue/maple neck guitar in the video can't actually be Rocky because that footage is from 1970-71 and by that time Harrison's original sonic blue guitar had already been repainted (probaby around 66-67 I think). Also, being '62 strats both guitars should have had rosewood boards and mint pickguards from the factory. My guess is that the strat in the video is probably John Lennon's original sonic blue strat with a retrofitted maple neck (the pickguard is still mint). If that's true, I think that would make the guitar even more special!
blackstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Love 'Rocky'! Some cool reading about it here, as well as his other guitars:

George Harrison's Guitars in the Beatles
theactor19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstrat View Post
This is a great looking guitar, congratulations!!

I just wanted to point out that the sonic blue/maple neck guitar in the video can't actually be Rocky because that footage is from 1970-71 and by that time Harrison's original sonic blue guitar had already been repainted (probaby around 66-67 I think). Also, being '62 strats both guitars should have had rosewood boards and mint pickguards from the factory. My guess is that the strat in the video is probably John Lennon's original sonic blue strat with a retrofitted maple neck (the pickguard is still mint). If that's true, I think that would make the guitar even more special!
This is pretty much correct. The Strats John and George bought in 1965 had rosewood fretboards. George gave his the "Rocky" paintjob in 1967 and added to it through the years. John was always abusing and tinkering with his guitars, so it's very possible that something happened to the original neck on his Strat and he replaced it with a maple one at some point. Sadly, John's Strat has disappeared and would be priceless if it ever surfaced again and could be authenticated.