Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old September 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Ways to keep a strat in tune?

Anyone have any tips? I dont want a floyd on my sunburst, can i adjust the springs on the bridge? Or are there any overall setup tips? Thanks guys.

Hendrix and Gilmour For Life!

Stratman117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Most tuning problems on a trem-equipped guitar (or a stoptail, for that matter) are at the nut, not the bridge.

Mine stays in tune decked, blocked or floating. I'd start by lightly lubing the nut, bridge saddles and trem screws. I use Big Bends Nut Sauce, but I hear chapstick works VERY well for lubing the nut slots. If that doesn't work, have a good tech look it over and see if maybe the nut needs some work.
David Garner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I put graph tech saddles on one of mine and it stays in tune great now. I also lubed the nut and trees with chapstick.
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

These are good recommendations.

First, make sure your strings are properly stretched when you re-string.

1. You want to make sure your trem starts and stops in the same place obviously.

2. If the string binds in the nut or on the string trees, or somewhere on the bridge, the string will not return to where it started from, so you will be out of tune.

3. If the string moves on the string post and does not return to where it started from, you will be out of tune.

That pretty much covers it!
ant_riv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Also helps to keep it in tune by keeping it in tune... when NOT playing.

Always tune your guitar perfectly after playing it before putting it away.
Wood is slow to change and has a "memory". If your guitar has been hanging around out of tune for a day, the whole guitar has stabilized itself to that off tuning; so when you correct that before playing, all through your playing time the guitar is having to adjust to the new correct tuning. So you end up going out of tune and making further corrections.
You can avoid this by keeping the guitar in tune when you aren't playing it.

When the guitar is not fighting itself because of wood memory trying to catch up and adjust to a corrected tuning the guitar will play for hours, even on stage, without having to touch the tuners.
pauln is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Puck of Paradox

1. Deck the trem
2. If the trem is not decked, be deliberate about string gauge.
3. Put it in a stand, don't dangle it by the headstock on a wall hanger.
4. Get use to tuning.
oatsoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

With a fresh set of strings I tune up to pitch, bend all the strings directly on the saddle, behind the nut at the tuners and string trees, then I tune to pitch again go crazy with the tremolo (2 point on my latest strat build) tune and go crazy again with the trem then tune and go crazy and tune again until it doesn't go out of tune when I go crazy with the trem lol.

It def works, so good that if I'm doing whole note bends (that will put any guitar out of tune) a simple wiggle of the tremolo will bring it right back. I'm not a heavy trem user but I have it setup to where if I wanted to dive bomb I could and it would be in tune afterwards.
astacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Lots of good advice here.

You may need another spring
or two on your trem.

Tabdog
tabdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I've finally started using the trems on my strats. Lots of good advice already mentioned. But heres my two cents. Lube the nut. I've been using a little bit of graphite from pencil at the nut when I change strings. Pay attention to the tuning posts when you first restring your guitar. I'll cut my strings about two and a half tuners longer than the one its going into and then make sure they wrap around neatly as I tune the guitar. I like to get at least three full tight and neat wraps around the post. This gives me a nice break angle behind the nut and makes sure the strings are nice and snug. Tune up to pitch and then stretch your strin9gs and retune. As far as the trem goes I keep it flush against the body. I use three springs and usually keep the bass side side of the claw screwed in a bit more
stratdragon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Way Awesomer

hanging guitars by the neck puts them out of tune?? first time i have heard this i have all my guitars on wall hangers in the studio. they are all in tune when i grab them off the wall. maybe my walls are lucky?
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have no tuning problems on any of my 6 electrics and they are all on wall hangers. They stay in tune very well, but I don't dive-bomb. They are all set up floating to Fender spec. I had to lube the nut on one of mine when it was new, but not since.

I sometimes wonder how often string guage relative to the nut cut is a problem for a lot of folks. The nut needs to be cut large enough for the gauge being used.

Last edited by Michael919; October 1st, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Michael919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratdragon92 View Post
I've finally started using the trems on my strats. Lots of good advice already mentioned. But heres my two cents. Lube the nut. I've been using a little bit of graphite from pencil at the nut when I change strings. Pay attention to the tuning posts when you first restring your guitar. I'll cut my strings about two and a half tuners longer than the one its going into and then make sure they wrap around neatly as I tune the guitar. I like to get at least three full tight and neat wraps around the post. This gives me a nice break angle behind the nut and makes sure the strings are nice and snug. Tune up to pitch and then stretch your strin9gs and retune. As far as the trem goes I keep it flush against the body. I use three springs and usually keep the bass side side of the claw screwed in a bit more

All that sounds pretty solid to me. The graphite in the nut slots is a big help.
I like to get 3 full wraps of string on the 3 higher strings... at least 2 on the bass ones - so 3 is good too. Once you get it working well, you need to stick with the same gauge of string so that its got the same pull.

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Instead of having multiple wraps around the tuning post, use the tie technique to lock the string to the post. I use this technique and only have one wrap around the post.
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Way Awesomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael919 View Post
I have no tuning problems on any of my 6 electrics and they are all on wall hangers. They stay in tune very well, but I don't dive-bomb. They are all set up floating to Fender spec. I had to lube the nut on one of mine when it was new, but not since.

I sometimes wonder how often string guage relative to the nut cut is a problem for a lot of folks. The nut needs to be cut large enough for the guage being used.
bam. bingo right here.

I play 11-54's and i have to file all my nuts (teehehe) in order for them to sit properly. bone nuts do not smell good when you file them, thats for sure
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Staggered claw to reduce tension on strings 4-6 seems to help for me, I can float the trem quite a bit and still have a lot of stability on my Strats. I agree that tuning them every day is important.

'61 Strat, '61 Melody Maker, '83 Tele and a whole bunch more
StoogeSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Just play the heck outta it! The nut will "work" itself out eventually. I use my trems pretty heavily, and this is how it usually goes. If I get a new guitar, these days, I swap the nut and tuners for modern stuff straight away. But in my younger days, these weren't available and I was poor! Chapstick or graphite the nut and play, play, play!
Jeepocaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have Graph Tech String Saver saddles, nut and string trees on my Strat. I also have the trem floated with 5 springs. Using flatwound 10-48 strings, my guitar stays in tune very well. I must admit the trem is fairly stiff, but I don't go nuts with it, just use it for a occasional accent on chords.
ras1500 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

+1 on staggering the claw a bit. Bass strings should have a little more tension. I always tune my low E up to and F when changing strings and it comes down naturally as I tune. A lot of times a slight depression on the tremolo will bring it back to proper tune when it goes out, but it must have the proper lubrication to snap back.
robotguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

This may not be the answer for everyone but if you live in Memphis Tn. take your Strat to Walter @ Lane Music in Germantown. I think he may be some kind of wizard
rwyjunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Stretch your strings well. Lube the hang up points. I also stagger the claw ala Carl Verheyen. Stays in tune great, even with heavy wanking.
jovima69 is offline   Reply With Quote