Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old December 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Full sized humbucker vs single coil sized

Does anyone have any experience with either? I'm torn for my next pickup between full sized or single coil sized. Is there any real tonal difference between the 2 sizes? I always think that full sized sound bigger and fuller but that's probably in my head

feebleknievel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleknievel View Post
Does anyone have any experience with either? I'm torn for my next pickup between full sized or single coil sized. Is there any real tonal difference between the 2 sizes? I always think that full sized sound bigger and fuller but that's probably in my head
I have had the duncan everything axe and not really cared for it, but loved the full size duncans.

On the other hand the duncan rails pickups i love and they are single coil size.

Soooo...thats kinda both sides i guess.

Old December 11th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I absolutely love my JB jr. In the bridge position on my Strat.
Mulefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 11th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Well I've only got a ceramic rail pickup atm, it's a little too high output for me, sounds really nice high gain, really sings. Great for stuff like van halen, some metal or skid row type stuff. But can't get the lower gain classic rock sound. So I'm looking for a pickup than can do both well.

Old December 11th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I have a Pearly Gates for Tele in the bridge.

It is hot and sustains well.

Overall tone is similar to a P-90 to my ears, but just a bit fuller.
Attached Thumbnails
Full sized humbucker vs single coil sized-100_0776.jpg  

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Well I've only got a ceramic rail pickup atm, it's a little too high output for me, sounds really nice high gain, really sings. Great for stuff like van halen, some metal or skid row type stuff. But can't get the lower gain classic rock sound. So I'm looking for a pickup than can do both well.
What brand rail pickup? Ive had a few brands, duncans are my favorite, and dimarzio is ok, IMO....ive had some off brands like gfs, and dragon fire and they went nearly as good as duncans. I use a hot rails bridge is several guitars and a cool rails neck in several and just love how smooth they are.

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasphemoustrat View Post

What brand rail pickup? Ive had a few brands, duncans are my favorite, and dimarzio is ok, IMO....ive had some off brands like gfs, and dragon fire and they went nearly as good as duncans. I use a hot rails bridge is several guitars and a cool rails neck in several and just love how smooth they are.
Just some unknown brand of eBay, just wanted to try a humbucker like pickup in the bridge. i like it now I want a better version of either a single coil sized or full

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member!

I have a SDS-1 (DiMarzio) in the bridgeposition, single coil but gives a nice bite to the sound compared to regular singles

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Really after a humbucker to be honest. Never got on with single coils in the bridge

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Really after a humbucker to be honest. Never got on with single coils in the bridge
Well, i would recommend trying a higher quality rails pickup...it really does make a huge difference, IMO...ive had the cheap ones, and the expensive ones and some people might say that they are all pretty much the same, but i dont agree with that sentiment. I run fairly high gain and play blues, so i like note definition as well, the duncans really do it. I could give you a sound sample if you are interested.

Old December 11th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasphemoustrat View Post

Well, i would recommend trying a higher quality rails pickup...it really does make a huge difference, IMO...ive had the cheap ones, and the expensive ones and some people might say that they are all pretty much the same, but i dont agree with that sentiment. I run fairly high gain and play blues, so i like note definition as well, the duncans really do it. I could give you a sound sample if you are interested.
Yea I am tempted, I did only pay £20 for this one lol. Any suggestions? Less metal more hard rock. I like the heavy distorted rhythm tone of skid row. Feeling a trip to dimarzio.com

Old December 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:

Yea I am tempted, I did only pay £20 for this one lol. Any suggestions? Less metal more hard rock. I like the heavy distorted rhythm tone of skid row. Feeling a trip to dimarzio.com
Well, this clip is mostly cool rails, with a bit of hot rails, its through line 6 mobile in on their mesa model with the gain around 7-8...so lots of it. And its still pretty clear IMO. If only i could hit the notes i was looking for

Id recommend a fast track 2 for dimarzio... Unfortunately i dont currently own one to throw in a guitar to show you.

Btw...this clip is a blues improv thing from last weeks strat talk challenge thing. Totally off the cuff. Hence the errors, please dont mind them.

Edit...hot rails is from 154-225ish....

Old December 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

good evening to you all - i have a seymour duncan "lil 59" in the bridge position of one of my strats and i have to say that i love it . it is a single coil sized humbucker , i also considered the seymour duncan "pearly gates" as they are making that in the slim configuration but it was twice the price of the "lil 59'er" and i already had a previous strat that i really liked with the "lil 59" so i stuck with it . i don't feel like there is any tone lacking because of the slim size and it is definately hot !
Attached Thumbnails
Full sized humbucker vs single coil sized-4-pearl.jpg  
09' Custom Shop
texasfl0od is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I love the hot rails, earlier in the year I owned a custom tele with pearly gates pickups real sweet sound should have kept it
Attached Thumbnails
Full sized humbucker vs single coil sized-image-1864984997.jpg  
RonChase is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

I don't think the size of the pickup tells us everything we need to know about how it sounds.

If you're looking to replace an existing bridge single coil in a Strat, you could do another sort of humbucker, not a PAF sized one.

There's the Seymour Duncan Lil '59, which Se7775 used on his Strat project:

Not a bad pickup at all.
Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I've tried a couple of sc sized hbs, but I'm happier with the sound of full sized hbs, and they're easier to tweak and adjust to your liking!
kaipartai is offline   Reply With Quote