Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Low E Intonation

Hi folks,

I've been intonating my strat and can't get the low "E" right. When I fret a harmonic at the 12th and then play the fretted note at the 12th the fretted note is about a quarter tone flat. Therefore I need to shorten the scale length?

Thing is I've wound the screw all the way out and it's still flat. Should I get a longer screw? Is it a dodgy string and should I replace it and try again?

I'm using Ernie Ball 9's tuned to E flat.

thanks!

David

choronzon777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
The One

Does it sound flat to your ears? Are you using a reliable tuner?

https://soundcloud.com/goodkat_st
Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
LeftyStrategist

Quote:
Originally Posted by choronzon777 View Post
Hi folks,

I've been intonating my strat and can't get the low "E" right. When I fret a harmonic at the 12th and then play the fretted note at the 12th the fretted note is about a quarter tone flat. Therefore I need to shorten the scale length?

Thing is I've wound the screw all the way out and it's still flat. Should I get a longer screw? Is it a dodgy string and should I replace it and try again?

I'm using Ernie Ball 9's tuned to E flat.

thanks!

David
String length needs to be longer for flat. If you can lower the action on that string you may be able to dial it in easier.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

From what your saying David you might be going the wrong way .. Your low e saddle should be closest to the bridge not the nut. Most people have trouble with it being to sharp not flat in which it could be other setup factors like action etc..
Nightprowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightprowler View Post
From what your saying David you might be going the wrong way .. Your low e saddle should be closest to the bridge not the nut. Most people have trouble with it being to sharp not flat in which it could be other setup factors like action etc..
Exactly rite and as mentioned before is your tuner reliable? I had a problem intonating my Strat until i invested in a good Boss Tuner, If you need a new tuner i recommend the Bos TU 80

Craig
kraigeyroxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightprowler View Post
From what your saying David you might be going the wrong way .. Your low e saddle should be closest to the bridge not the nut ...
If it's already flat with the saddle pushed in the opposite direction it's going to be even more flat if he tries bringing it closer to the bridge.

Also, bringing the action down will make the intonation even more flat...

https://soundcloud.com/goodkat_st
Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Bad string is often the cause of this kind of problem. Get a new E string and start again. I would check the nut height and where the string breaks, too. Even more critical on the bigger strings for intonation, though you might not notice as much playability-wise.