Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Deluxe Players Stratocaster

This thread pertains to anything in general about the Deluxe Players Strat. I own one myself and love it's versatility and build quality. I'm just curious who else owns one and what there opinion is about this guitar. I know what I want In a guitar and this one seems to be my cup of tea. I am relatively new to fender so I was wondering if the bridge on this guitar could be up graded to a higher quality Fender bridge and if so have you heard of one with a gold finish so it would match the rest of my hardware?

bbarber9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I love my deluxe players strat. It was my first and will always be my favourite.

Old February 8th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Oh a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Deluxe Players Stratocaster-image-3707373639.jpg  

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Sweet! My guitar found its long lost brother Lol. Nice to meet you and thanks for the reply.

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Just changed the pickguard on my baby!!
Attached Thumbnails
Deluxe Players Stratocaster-dscf0858.jpg  
fenderman21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Ive got a Deluxe Super Strat, the precursor to Players Strat… same guitar with a 9.5 fingerboard and SuperFat Super Strat pickups and I Love it. The single button is so much more user friendly then toggles or push/pull pots. Switched mine out with a mint guard
Attached Thumbnails
Deluxe Players Stratocaster-imgp0506.jpg  
fishfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I've got an '11 Honeyblonde/Maple. I tried real hard to like the stock VNs, but couldn't. Tried several other sets of pups before ending up w/Texas Specials, which, coupled w/a GFS brass trem block, make this guitar sound phenomenal- I find myself using the word "smoky" to describe the tone. Perfect for Blues.

Been toying w/the idea of a matte black pickguard, which prompts a question for Fishfly: how difficult was it to remove the push switch from the old 'guard, and what did you use to re-attach? Looks great w/the mint, BTW.
railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Changing out the new pickguard was simple, I carefully pried the switch off with a sharp knife, didnt really take much at all to get it off. After that i cleaned all the adhesive off the switch then roughed up both the pickguard and sides of the switch with sandpaper. I used a "super glue" type adhesive to re-attach it to the new pickguard, thats what it seemed like they used at the factory. The factory hole is drilled to 3/8th, just be carefully when glueing to the new guard that you get it perfectly centered, otherwise it will stick when going back and forth between off and on.

Good Luck, Im sure it will look great with a matte black pickguard
fishfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I used to have one and agree. They are fantastic guitars!
sportrider24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfly View Post
Good Luck, Im sure it will look great with a matte black pickguard
Thanks, Bro- much appreciated.
railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

It is so nice to see all the different flavors of the deluxe. Fenderman21 your pick guard change looks great.

Last edited by bbarber9; February 8th, 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Old February 10th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

2007 honeyblonde Deluxe Players here. My opinion of this guitar? Its built like a tank! Mine just very recently broke down(the neck split)after over 2000+ hours of non stop rehearsing, gigging, jamming, auditioning etc. I pounded on it without mercy(yet still very carefully wiped it down including the strings and fretboard after every session/show whatever. I once was forced to use it as a weapon in order to defend myself from some crackhead that somehow got backstage at a show! The hard as a rock polyurethane body has my 100% approval after that night I can dftly say that much!

Mine is the maple board trans-honeyblonde and the fretwork from the very day my late father brought it home the fretwork, trem, neck angle etc were so jacked up it was unplayable(thanks ALOT Chuck Levins Music of Washington DC). He bought it to play at church but couldnt cause it had zero set up of anykind when he got it. He got so frustrated he passed it onto me.

It took nearly a year to learn all about strats to find out what was wrong and why(this is my first strat). I painstakingly took it apart including the neck and slowly reassembled it to where it was moderately well set up at least. The fretwork was atrocious from the factory. It looked like somebody was pounding on the frets with a hammer very very fast. Fret ends were poking out both sides of the neck either barely noticable or so much Id cut a finger on my playing hand.

Off to a very very good local luthier it went. A week later it was well....amazing...They way Fender advertised it I like to think. Then in went a Seymour Duncan SSL-6 to the bridge as the original VN bridge pup was just weedy and lifeless. D*MN what an improvement one pickup change can make! I never dreamed it could put out tone like the SSL-6 does! It also works unexpectedly well with the remaining VN pups.

As for the neck, I just bought an unplayed Classic Players 60s neck online and should have it early next week. I cant wait as its my only axe. That and the rosewood CP 60s neck is nothing short of astonishing. Was going to put on a AmStd neck before I went to the local mom n pop music store and checked out the sonic blue CP 60s they had on the wall. I cannot wait...at all. My axe is in pieces in a box with a split neck just aggravating the heck outta me.

I LOVE the ash body for the trans honeyblonde!! How they got 5 pieces of ash bookmatched so good it looks like one solid piece of ash!!! It weighs a ton and sustains like a lunatic, the grain pattern visible through the trans coats is downright beautiful!

When I took it apart the very first time and took off the pickguard...to my extreme dismay I found myself looking down at a strat body that was FULL of sawdust and TRASH from the factory! Little bits of torn paper, any print was in Spanish.

I got over it and cleaned it out etc. My luthier did a fret level crown and polish as well as getting the frets properly seated etc and it then served me very well for the next 3+years.

I understand all about how maple is super sensitive to temperature and humidity change but having done my best trying to trace its journey from factory to here...if that was the cause of the trainwreck condition of the frets then it all happened just going from the factory to the music store. However long that took Idk but it sat somewhere it really shouldnt have been for a good while before it got to D.C.

So as of now my opinion is actually still very high for the Deluxe Players. The hardware and electronics are all what youd find on many American made strats. The trem is American made and would fit on most American strats that have a 6 point trem.

The push button thingy drove me nuts. It is gone now. The tones it pulled up are through the VN pups and without the TBX boost etc like the Clapton sig has that makes those VN pups scream. I could barely tell the difference at all so stopped using it.

What other bridges fit it? A LOT. I just replaced the beaten to death corroding gold trem on the honeyblonde with a brand new Super Vee Bladerunner in chrome. It fit perfectly and was so easy to install it didnt even take me 5 minuites. How does it sound? Dont know. Dont have a functional neck for it at the moment. Believe me, when that rosewood 60s CP neck shows up and I am finall able to get it put back together I will be posted pics all over Strat Talk! Cant wait. ...oh the Bladerunner is available from Super Vee with your choice between block saddles of their design, Babicz strat saddles and even Callaham saddles already screwed in and screwed in so the saddles are in the most likely sweet spot for intonation on most guitars which is how mine arrived. I was very impressed!

Hope this helps!
Stratsir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
stationcalling?

one of my favourite strat-series for sure.

Old February 10th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Here's my DP (at the top of the pic)

I love it to bits, it plays so incredibly well too. The action is lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut !!

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

They are really great guitars, I changed all the electronics on mine though, and the pick-guard too. But I love how it feels and it was my first fender so its gonna stay with me forever.
Attached Thumbnails
Deluxe Players Stratocaster-104.jpg  
ronald_burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Well it is about 1:00 AM. and I spent the last 5 hrs. Doing the Eric Clapton mod on my deluxe players Strat. It is now one of the most versatile strats I have ever owned. I added the TBX tone control in the middle knob position and 25Db. Active mid boost kit in the second tone position. The TBX controls tone for every pickup position and I was able to retain the pickup button and have it function as normal giving a total of 7 position pickup selection. Gotta love fender!

Old February 20th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderman21 View Post
Just changed the pickguard on my baby!!
How did you make this HOLE on the pickguard to fits the passing lane switch button???

I have an american deluxe that came with that dark brow pickguard, I would like to put a white pick guard, but the dont make this with this hole in white and to fit HSS

Did you buy this pearloid pickguard and made yourself the hole to this button?

Thnks
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bruce
This Telecaster....

Is this the Nashville POWER tele? Or the normal NAshville tele?
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Here's mine, bought as a loaded body from Stratosphere.

The neck is from a Deluxe Strat thus has non-matching hardware but this doesn't matter as the two aren't staying together anyway (I've just bought a Mighty Mite CBS-style maple neck to go on here, which will have the correct gold tuners and string trees) I just put them together for now so that I can play it.

It's been assembled for a couple of months now and the project has ground to a halt 'cos I just can't stop picking it up and playing it for an hour every time I walk past it!
Attached Thumbnails
Deluxe Players Stratocaster-dps-4.jpg  

Old February 20th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Hi Bruce.....Just buy a regular scratchplate, with same amount of holes etc, lay old, over new, and drill hole through old hole into new!!
fenderman21 is offline   Reply With Quote