Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old July 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Hey all,

I have a line on a 54 reissue from 1994 at a local guitar shop. It is a limited edition two tone burst with the U neck, not the 40th anniversary edition with the 'keep rocking' ect badge on the neck plate. The neck plate has a serial number starting with the V. The body is a beautiful two piece ash with a nitro finish and no poly undercoat. There is a Hector Montes neck, but there are no markings on the back of the headstock. Anybody with experience with this guitar? And...what is a reasonable asking price for one in good condition?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
1994 54 reissue limited-image-896571983.jpg  1994 54 reissue limited-image-2971140136.jpg  1994 54 reissue limited-image-3339563842.jpg  

1994 54 reissue limited-image-1193895503.jpg  

Last edited by guitarnutz; July 5th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
guitarnutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Nice hunk of wood. Around my parts, around $1K or so.
73Fender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Yup it s a nice guitar, but what is it?? The neck is 1994 but there are no markings on the back of the headstock and the neck plate isn't a 40th Anniversary... It is not Japanese as the neck is a Hecto Montes neck.

Last edited by guitarnutz; July 6th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Anyone?? I'd like to buy this guitar but I'm confused as to what it is. The neck is dated 1994 and is American but the guitar has no 40th Anniversary markings and no custom shop markings...

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

If it was the 40th Anniversary 1954 Reissue it would have a number on the back of the headstock 1-1954 so it must be something else.
32soundz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, exactly...and it has no markings indicating it is one of the custom shop Masterbuilds from 94 either, but the neck is a 94 from the custom shop. As well, when I removed the neck at the shop I'm sure that was the first time the neck had been removed. The other interesting thing is the '1954' stamped into the trem cover.

Old July 7th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Sounds very interesting, I'd buy it if the price is right. You can always email Fender support with the V***** number for full specs.

Old July 7th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Well..problem is...I'm in another country for a few weeks and it is Very expensive here in Brazil. The fact that it is in Brazil makes me careful too. If it was a North American price I'd snap it up for sure. I love the neck, the sound, the look...and everything (except for the nut) looks right to me, right down to the rust. In short, I'd pay more for this guitar cause I think it is 'the one' for me. However, due to the price I really want to be sure about it is all and I just don't understand what it is if it is not a custom shop 94 54 reissue and not the Anniversary limited run...

I've emailed Fender but haven't heard back yet.

Old July 7th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Well in that case wait for Fender to get back to you with specs, they can take up to 48 hours to get back, then you'll know for sure.

Old July 7th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The V sn on the neck plate usually means an American Vintage Reissue (not custom shop). I don't know the history of these back in the 90s but that info should be searchable if no one here chimes in. The CS guitars have the CS logo on the headstock back.

I just put this into google: American Vintage Reissue 54 Strat, 1994 Looks like there was a 57 RI in that year..maybe that's what it is. The 54s where just recently issued.

Old July 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
The V sn on the neck plate usually means an American Vintage Reissue (not custom shop). I don't know the history of these back in the 90s but that info should be searchable if no one here chimes in. The CS guitars have the CS logo on the headstock back.

I just put this into google: American Vintage Reissue 54 Strat, 1994 Looks like there was a 57 RI in that year..maybe that's what it is. The 54s where just recently issued.
I have a 1992 Cray Custom Shop Strat. Mine is a first year model. I have a V serial number on the neck plate, and the old brown CS logo. The guitar is basically a 62 Reissue with a few Cray tweaks like the colors and pickups.

So my guess is the guitar mentioned here is a 57 RI. I don't remember a 54 RI back then, but I may be wrong.

Old July 7th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

No I don't think it is a 57 reissue as it has the two piece ash body and nitro finish with no poly underneath. As well, the neck profile is a U shape, like a 54, and the trem cover has '1954' stamp on it. I've seen the neck pocket and there is no V impressed in the wood either. My current strat is a 57 reissue and has the V impressed in the neck pocket.

I'm stumped as it is not a custom shop, not a 40th Anniversary, but has the 1994 American neck and the specs of a 54...

I'll wait to see what Fender says.

Old July 7th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

my Grandsons 54 custom shop reissue-

2008 Custom Eric Clapton Fender Antigua Strat-
2011 PRS Swamp Ash Special NF
2012 PRS Artist Package Studio----- 2008 MIM Strat
Seneca SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The tremolo back cover was for the 1994 anniversary strats. I have one. Wish I knew more than that.

Old July 8th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, I noticed a 1954 stamp on a 40th Anniversary pic. The neck plate and neck just don't make sense on this guitar. But, as I said, it really looks like the parts have not been added. There is rust on screws that bled on to the pickguard and I was there when the neck came off, and It really looked like it had not been off before. One other thing I forgot to mention is that it has a 5 way selector too.

As far as I know Fender only made the 40th Anniversary limited and Masterbuilt Custom shop 54's in 94, and this guitar seems to be neither...

Old July 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnutz View Post
Yeah, I noticed a 1954 stamp on a 40th Anniversary pic. The neck plate and neck just don't make sense on this guitar. But, as I said, it really looks like the parts have not been added. There is rust on screws that bled on to the pickguard and I was there when the neck came off, and It really looked like it had not been off before. One other thing I forgot to mention is that it has a 5 way selector too.

As far as I know Fender only made the 40th Anniversary limited and Masterbuilt Custom shop 54's in 94, and this guitar seems to be neither...
Maybe try calling Fender Cus. Support with the sn?

Old July 8th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Solved. It is a 'Yamano Special'! I bet no one has ever heard of that. The serial number checks out at Fender as an American procuced 54 reissue made for the Japanese market in 94. The Fender rep told me 180 were made and they have 57/62 pickups in them, but had no other specs. It makes sense as I'm in Sao Paulo which has a large Japanese community.

Last edited by guitarnutz; July 8th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Old July 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I don't know how much it is but if you can get an idea of its worth ect. im sure it is a really nice guitar. the wood on it looks really nice.

a lot of the best stuff goes to the Japanese market.
mabley123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

They want about 3500 for it. Even if it is rare it is a stretch in Canada or the US. The neck is a little less chunky for the Japanese market too. I like it though I wish it had a bit more to fill my hand.

Last edited by guitarnutz; July 8th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Old July 8th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

yes that is a lot.

I just acquired all the parts for a partscaster. Basically money a small consideration.

the only thing that was cash limiting was ORIGINAL vintage pickups.

I don't have the money to go and get a complete 57 ect wiring harness and pickups ect.

but I did buy 2 original 66's and 1 65 strat pickup.

I bought an early 82- fullerton 57 reissue body. had USACG make a custom neck that I suppied the wood for. the best gotoh locking gears available. 510 Delta series 1:21 gear ratio. Illitch noise reduction backplate, Mannmade USA tremolo. I have about 3800 in my partscaster.

Also if you would know exactly the specs you like you could have USACG make a body and neck and have someone paint ( also using the very best paint job available. ) them and then buy all the best parts. it would still be way under 3500.
closer to 2000.

625 for 1 piece lightweight swamp ash pick by hand personally by tommy and sent to RS Guitarworks.. who have the best paint jobs in the business 225 for the body. 400 for paint.

1 piece maple and best finish. 250 for neck and 200 to paint.

1100 for the best body and neck available and a Custom Paint Job By the arguably best people in the business for paint jobs.

that would still leave 900 left over for everything else.

and 400 to paint the body is a guees and is for probably the most expensive candy finish and not sunburst.. although they may cost the same. but last week I was quoted a candy paint job from them at around 400.

and you can get a great finish for lees from USACG affiliate. these are just high estimates so show what you can get for 200 or so dollars.

I will probably never buy a fende brand guitar again considering you can get masterbuilt qualityand any feature you want for what a fender reissue costs. or less.

and tommys bodies are an exact reproduction of his ORIGINAL 54 strat. So in reality if a person would buy a fender custom shop strat of any kind. masterbuilt ect.

it will be no more exact than tommys because his are exact 54 bodies. the only thing is the headstock is not fender correct.

and Vancouver is really close to USACG.

But I do think the body on that guitar is really nice and looks about as good as any ive seen.
mabley123 is offline   Reply With Quote