Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

How do I drill a 4 bolt strat replcement neck?

I have a new scalloped strat neck on the way and have never tried drilling one for install.any insight would be much appreciated.i am a fairly accomplished carpenter with plenty of tools.what are some dos and donts??Thanks.

barnartpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Usually the neck comes pre-drilled to fit standard Strat hole spacing. However the neck holes may not fit your Strat exactly, escpecially if your guitar is one of the many Strat clones out there.

I've had this problem, & solved it by buying some small dowels at a modeler's hobby shop which were the right size to fit Strat screw holes (take in a screw to compare). Glue them in & when dry cut off the dowels then sand flush.

Position & CAREFULLY clamp your new neck in place taking care to line it up right. I installed the bass & treble E strings to use as guides, making sure they lined up properly down both sides of the neck. Then I clamped.

A drill press is best if you have access to one, but I didn't, so I used a hand drill with a "bubble" guide in it's top to be as accurate as I could. Just drill very lightly through the holes on your new neck to mark the hole placements. Or you could use a sharp punch for the same purpose.

Then check the depth you need to make the new holes & use a depth guage when drilling. A simple piece of masking tape taped around the drill bit at the proper depth will work.

Good luck!
orcslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

A couple of points I'd add...make sure the the screws slide through the mounting holes in the body; they should not bind or thread into these holes. If you don't want to waste two E strings, you can use monofilament fishing line or heavy thread to line up the neck. Finally, wax the screwthreads before installing.

Orcslayer's post is right on the money...if you have further questions check Rob DiStefano's webpage, Frettech.com. He has a good tutorial on neck installation there.

And welcome to Strat-Talk!!!
dman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Here's another suggestio; if the neck has no pilot holes, align as suggested, and put the screws thru the body, as centered as best possible. Tap the screws to mark the neck hole positions. Drill as stright as possible. if no drill press available, have someone check to see if your holding the drill straight in two axis, and drill the pilot hole(smaller than the thread size). The body holes are bigger than the screws for allignment reasons.... the tape on the drill bit is what I use for depth....
Razorc195 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
----------------------

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/squi...rew-holes.html
fenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenson View Post
I thought I was having deja vu!
dman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member!

Thanks orcslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcslayer View Post
Usually the neck comes pre-drilled to fit standard Strat hole spacing. However the neck holes may not fit your Strat exactly, escpecially if your guitar is one of the many Strat clones out there.

I've had this problem, & solved it by buying some small dowels at a modeler's hobby shop which were the right size to fit Strat screw holes (take in a screw to compare). Glue them in & when dry cut off the dowels then sand flush.

Position & CAREFULLY clamp your new neck in place taking care to line it up right. I installed the bass & treble E strings to use as guides, making sure they lined up properly down both sides of the neck. Then I clamped.

A drill press is best if you have access to one, but I didn't, so I used a hand drill with a "bubble" guide in it's top to be as accurate as I could. Just drill very lightly through the holes on your new neck to mark the hole placements. Or you could use a sharp punch for the same purpose.

Then check the depth you need to make the new holes & use a depth guage when drilling. A simple piece of masking tape taped around the drill bit at the proper depth will work.

Good luck!
Thanks for your response.I do have a drll press and the idea of using 2 strings as parallel lines for placement is just the kind of idea
I was looking for.Just what is an orcslayer anyway???

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member!

thanks for the respose.I would not have thought to over size the neck pilot holes.also using 2 strings as guides is brilliant.thanks.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member!

Excellent idea on marking neck holes.Thanks.Im loving this forum.

Old October 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member!

I'm in the process of rebuilding a "Strat" and the above suggesions are fantastic. However, I have one question re:
"Position & CAREFULLY clamp your new neck in place taking care to line it up right. I installed the bass & treble E strings to use as guides, making sure they lined up properly down both sides of the neck. Then I clamped."
What type of "clamp" is best and how did you protect the frets?
faulcond is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

This is how I do it ...

DGW_Strat is offline   Reply With Quote