Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Stratocaster Discussion Forum (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Best Value/Quality for Necks - Warmoth Or Stratosphere (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/242714-best-value-quality-necks-warmoth-stratosphere.html)

johnny35 August 1st, 2013 12:32 PM

Best Value/Quality for Necks - Warmoth Or Stratosphere

I suppose its all been said before, and probably debated to death. Here goes anyway! I'm looking for a neck for a build, I live in the UK so I always look at postage/customs costs when buying from the USA. Seems I can get a deluxe Fender neck loaded with tuners and a nut installed and cut from Stratosphere; for around the same price as an exotic wood neck from Warmoth, with no tuners or nut.
Opinions please guys. Your experience and input is most welcome.

albala August 1st, 2013 12:59 PM

very simple

it's hard to beat a high quality Fender neck and Stratosphere has great stuff. I bought a Beck neck and am very happy with it. Warmoth necks are possibly slightly better (I have two) BUT nobody will want your used Warmoth neck.

Skip the exotic wood, it won't make you play any better.

johnny35 August 1st, 2013 01:10 PM

Thanks albala, I tend to agree with the exotic wood thing. Don't know how some exotics would deal with the climate i live in, (Scotland) Its just there's so many damn options out there! and I honestly can't decide which neck to get. I want to build something i'm happy with for life (if thats possible!) Its like taking a kid into a toy shop and asking him to pick the best one. With guitar necks for me this is the case. i like the look of the LSR roller nut, I use tremolo a lot so it would be a great thing to have.
Don't want spend more than 500 bucks on a neck, could you give me some options? - warmoth and stratosphere - which you think may be good?
My body is 1 piece Alder which is going to be Tru-Oiled. Pickups will be EMG SA set and Vintage tremolo unit with high mass sustain block

Yogi August 1st, 2013 01:15 PM

Skip both. I just finished a build with an allparts neck (same factory as fender japan) . I got the neck for 150, finished it in tru oil, added gotoh tuners and I spent less than 200 in all

Achyskic August 1st, 2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny35 (Post 1356974)
I suppose its all been said before, and probably debated to death. Here goes anyway! I'm looking for a neck for a build, I live in the UK so I always look at postage/customs costs when buying from the USA. Seems I can get a deluxe Fender neck loaded with tuners and a nut installed and cut from Stratosphere; for around the same price as an exotic wood neck from Warmoth, with no tuners or nut.
Opinions please guys. Your experience and input is most welcome.

I have bought both so here is my honest opinion. Stratosphere sells basically brand new Fender necks in every flavor. Top notch. Warmoth neck are very good, below quality compare to a Fender USA, alittle better than Fender MiM.

albala August 1st, 2013 01:34 PM

go a little higher and do a Beck neck. You won't regret it and you'll have a cooler guitar than anyone else.

'87 Strat Plus, Vintage white, Dimarzio Areas...and I deck my trem and never use the bar but I bend my strings pretty far.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...z/IMG_0855.jpg

johnny35 August 1st, 2013 01:52 PM

Have to say that Strat is bloody lovely. Neck looks amazing too. I've heard a lot of good things about the Jeff Beck neck. Having just had a quick look on Ebay i see the Beck neck has Fender locking tuner reams. I've got a set which i bought awhile back, kind of brushed satin colour. Wish they were gold or black though.

srvwannab August 1st, 2013 02:09 PM

For the $400 you spend on an MIA Standard neck a Warmoth neck for the same price will beat it in almost every way... except resale.

BillZ August 1st, 2013 02:14 PM

For me the advantage for Warmoth is that I can get exactly the radius,profile and fret sizing that I want. Sometime the standard Fender neck would require a compromise in one area or another.

srvwannab August 1st, 2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillZ (Post 1357063)
For me the advantage for Warmoth is that I can get exactly the radius,profile and fret sizing that I want. Sometime the standard Fender neck would require a compromise in one area or another.

Yep, and that's what a good neck is all about, getting one that meets your needs, not one that is a compromise and marketed to meet the needs of most people.

nogin007 August 1st, 2013 03:33 PM

Have you seen the posts about Fender selling necks and bodies now? Gives you another option.

scott223 August 1st, 2013 05:23 PM

My Warmoth neck is the best neck I have ever played. I purchased it in 1994.

Frogger August 2nd, 2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogin007 (Post 1357122)
Have you seen the posts about Fender selling necks and bodies now? Gives you another option.

True they are selling necks and bodies after a very long time. The problem is the necks are only offered in that god offal Modern C profile. Really Fender? Give us a true mid 60 C profile or a soft V, 1957 soft V, Large C, or a big 59 Roundback. :(

softwarejanitor August 2nd, 2013 01:02 AM

One question is do you need to have a Fender decal on the headstock? If the answer to that is yes, then a genuine Fender neck like the ones sold by Stratosphere are the only legal option. It is illegal to make or sell a fake, counterfeit Fender waterslide decal as it is a violation of Fender Trademarks and/or Copyrights. Warmoth and Allparts necks are "licensed"... but that license only applies to the headstock shape, it does not allow you to put a Fender decal on there.

christhebrit August 2nd, 2013 01:20 AM

Have you thought about wd music or axecaster?
Both uk firms so no import duties

GaryCorby August 2nd, 2013 02:01 AM

Personally, I would skip all of the above options and call USACG. That gets you a neck built to your specs by a former master builder from Fender. Plus the joy of their excellent service.

I have to agree on the exotic woods. Though if I had some spare money I'd be tempted to order one for the looks.

Hubaxe August 2nd, 2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor (Post 1357517)
One question is do you need to have a Fender decal on the headstock? If the answer to that is yes, then a genuine Fender neck like the ones sold by Stratosphere are the only legal option. It is illegal to make or sell a fake, counterfeit Fender waterslide decal as it is a violation of Fender Trademarks and/or Copyrights. Warmoth and Allparts necks are "licensed"... but that license only applies to the headstock shape, it does not allow you to put a Fender decal on there.

So far you don't try to sell it, you can put whatever you like on the headstock..

fenderkev August 2nd, 2013 06:30 AM

Agree with those who say the Warmoth necks are better than Fenders. I played Fenders for 35 years and was always happy with them. At the end of last year I bought my first Warmoth due to the fact I needed a light weight guitar as my left shoulder was giving me a lot of pain with my 8 lb Strats. The guitar I got was 6.25 lb, and the neck with Stainless Steel frets, 10-16" compound radius fretboard, and standard slim back profile played better than my Strat Plus and countless Am Stds I've owned down through the years. A Warmoth Maple/Rosewood with laquer, nut install, and the appointments I described will cost you about £235 including postage. Add another £50 for import costs and its £285. Don't know how that compares to a Stratosphere neck, but the Warmoth IMO is in a different league. I'm now on my 4th neck, an exotic Wenge/Ebony. All have needed no fret work to achieve a decent low action. One word of warning, buying Warmoth necks can become addictive! :wink:
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/diy-...nge-ebony.html

GaryCorby August 2nd, 2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubaxe (Post 1357584)
So far you don't try to sell it, you can put whatever you like on the headstock..

My understanding is that it's a trademark violation no matter what.

However if someone then tries to pass off a guitar with fake decal as genuine, then that goes from being the minor problem of trademark violation to the much more serious issue of fraud.

If there are any lawyers here they could probably make that more accurate.

albala August 2nd, 2013 09:32 AM

if you build yourself a custom guitar and slap a fakey sticker on it, no one's really going to care.

I would do it in a second.