Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old September 15th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Strat with humbuckers

I know to some its unethical, but could I get some feedback on dual humbucking strats? I have a set of burst buckers I took from a Gibson LP sitting around and wondered how'd they pair up with an alder strat with a maple neck. Not many videos at all on YouTube with a strat and these pickups

crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I had bought a pre-wired EMG pickguard with SRO passive humbuckers and I've installed it into two different strat bodies. At first, I really liked it, and I think those pickups are pretty good, close to PAF sounds. In a Fender, with 25.5" scale bolt- on neck, It's going to retain some of the typical fender twang that comes from the hardware, scale, and overall design. But as I got used to it, I started to miss the clear chime of the single coil in the neck position. This has happened twice, and I've had the humbuckers uninstalled for about a year now, and I'm sure I will put them back in something again at some point.
itzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I had that exact setup for a while, burstbucker 2/3 setup. It was surprisingly twangy. Didn't sound at all Les Paul like. I've got clips of me playing it if your interested.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

My favorite "go to" guy is my Dave Murray like parts caster. It has the Paf Anniversary and a super distortion in he bridge. Had a pickup made for the center, as I couldn't find anything hot enough to keep up w/ the HB's. 5 way switch and push pull pots. The neck Paf is one of the best most versatile pickups I've ever played and IMHO, the best pickup DiMarzio makes. You can play anything with it. Love HSH setup. I roll with an Alder body and a neck off an old Waynes World 2 strat. Way!
Attached Thumbnails
Strat with humbuckers-image-1947117063.jpg  
Maltoftheearth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasphemoustrat View Post
I had that exact setup for a while, burstbucker 2/3 setup. It was surprisingly twangy. Didn't sound at all Les Paul like. I've got clips of me playing it if your interested.
Very interested in hearing it. I really wanna stay traditional SSS but I'm curious as to what it'd be like.

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Very interesting ........
rickfrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

+1 on not sounding at all Gibson like. A shocking amount of spank for what they are. With that though, you will never get a pure single coil sound even tapped. It's better when blended with the true single in the middle. Sounds rather stratty. Super fun and versatile guitars.

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I should clarify... The STRAT sound is better with the middle. The best sound on the guitar is the full boar humbuckers. Fun if you're after something different.

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

Very interested in hearing it. I really wanna stay traditional SSS but I'm curious as to what it'd be like.
This is a single channel traynor dark horse, on the one watt setting volume at max with a tube screamer out front...still pretty strat like I think...guitar is set up with two volume two tone and a three way switch...

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I approve. Still kinda stratty, but much more useful for my needs.

2004 AmDlx
EMG JH "Het set"
Attached Thumbnails
Strat with humbuckers-image-1496498432.jpg  
speedy mcfeely is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Good sound. I put a humbucker in the bridge of a strat once 10 yrs ago and it was incredibly bright

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have just had a Signature Humbucker Strat made by Ged Green of Manchester.
It has Bare knuckle Stormy Monday Pups. Coil tap on the volume & blend control. No tone control as they are tremendously responsive by just using the volume control. The Schaller Hannes bridge is definitaly different.
Since these photos were taken the pick guard has now been changed to mint green and fits very close to the bridge.
The configuration and final sound quality was very "Suck it and see" but the tone of the ash body with ebony board combined with the knuckles really shines through with a shimmering split coil tele strat twang.
Attached Thumbnails
Strat with humbuckers-017.jpg  Strat with humbuckers-016.jpg  
jymspeed is offline   Reply With Quote