Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old September 21st, 2013, 07:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Yep that's why you can put a 22 fret neck on a guitar that was 21 frets

buffalo0993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo0993 View Post
Yep that's why you can put a 22 fret neck on a guitar that was 21 frets
You can as long as its a 22 fret neck with overhang.
1962 Epiphone Sheraton 50th anniversary
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
I don't get the point of the extra fret. Do people really use that thing?? Does anyone actually use the 21st for that matter?? It doesn't even sound good when you fret that note
Yeah very true. Kind of thing maybe it's just nice to know it's there..like insurance or something.

I wonder why Fender went to that headstock back in the 70s in the first place? Not for me but to each their own.
73Fender is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
Way Awesomer

ok ok.. whats the big friggen deal. the Headstocks.. Being large and hated and the same shape but just a bit smaller is considered to be "loved" same shape.. same team. different size. how in the hell does the headstock ruin it? .. do you play the headstock? does the head stock have action?? i must be playing guitars wrong..

i think these are looking nice.
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
ok ok.. whats the big friggen deal. the Headstocks.. Being large and hated and the same shape but just a bit smaller is considered to be "loved" same shape.. same team. different size. how in the hell does the headstock ruin it? .. do you play the headstock? does the head stock have action?? i must be playing guitars wrong..

i think these are looking nice.
Don't have to play it, but you do have to look at it a lot. It's like golf clubs. If the club head looks wrong at address, I don't want to play it. Weird, but I get it. I'm not a big fan of the bigger headstock, but some look better than others.

Now the 21 vs 22 fret thing I don't get at all. Nothing is moved and you don't have to go up there if you don't want to. Can make pickguard removal a little more work. The guitar seems like a good offering. The more sonic blue out there, the happier I am.
"As essential as it is to digest your heroes so that you understand technically what they are doing, it’s more important, when the time is necessary, to let it go and be yourself. You have to do that.."-Eric Johnson

Last edited by Teddy Watkins; September 23rd, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Teddy Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
Yeah very true. Kind of thing maybe it's just nice to know it's there..like insurance or something.

I wonder why Fender went to that headstock back in the 70s in the first place? Not for me but to each their own.
Actually the Headstock Changed in 1966 and was designed by Leo Fender. I have read several theories, but the one that holds the most water is that CBS wanted a larger headstock that could hold a bolder and more prominent Logo. So that way on television appearances and concerts it could serve as a marketing tool.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have a 2012 Lonestar. The 2013's have a Fender Twin Head Pickup, not the Seymor Duncan Pearly Gates.

It's not worth it without the Seymor Duncan, it is just THAT good, anyone who owns a 2012 and earlier can attest to that. I am sure the Road House is a good product, though....
2013 American Standard Telecaster - Elise
JayJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Is this guitar made in Mexico?
otis66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Not a big fan here either of the big headstock or the glaring black contrast of the bridge pickup. But, that's my own opinion. Others may think they're the cat's meow, and that's great! It simply means that folks that like big headstocks now have something they can own. Just not my cup of tea.

I will say that the burgundy mist is a really nice color.
PATAKYED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufustelestrat View Post
Nope. The pickup does not change position. AT all. The overhang provides the space for the 22nd Fret, that is all. NO change in position no longer scale. It is a visual illusion of change. R
It does change it relative to the harmonics of the string. Hit the harmonics of the string over the neck pick up of a strat and you will hear the note right above the pole piece. Do that on a PRS Custom 24 (like I just did on mine), and it's out of place. Just to clarify, on a 24 fret guitar, the harmonic for the root note is, of course, exactly at the 24th fret. On a strat, the harmonic is exactly where the 24th fret would be, which is exactly where Leo put the pickup in order to obtain the bell like quality we all love.
itzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't get the point of the extra fret. Do people really use that thing?? Does anyone actually use the 21st for that matter?? It doesn't even sound good when you fret that note
Yes. Quite a bit. Learn the second solo to Comfortably Numb for example and you'll see that Gilmour is bending at the 21st fret of the E string towards the end of the solo. I also play the part just preceding that with a whole step bend on the 22nd fret of the B string but it's possible that Gilmour did that bend on the E string. I'd have to watch a live recording. I believe he's also playing way up there on one of the solos of Money.

Old September 24th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I bend the last fret on the high E up to E all the time, as Mouse notes above. I actually prefer bending up to the E on my 21 fret versus my 22 fret Strat. I prefer the feel.

I love the big headstock and I also like that this model is available in vintage white. It is a good alternative to the 70's models in that color because it has a 9.5 radius versus the 7.25 on the 70's models. Too bad it doesn't have a bullet truss!
Michael919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis66 View Post
Yes, just like the previous deluxe roadhouse and lonestar models (excluding the usa models from the 90s/ early 2000s)

Old September 24th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

21-fret necks look like they're missing something
albala is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Green Craig is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Why? Because most people who go for big headstocks (me included) can get American Special or a used Highway 1s for the same price, more or less?

The old ones were also mostly under the radar...
JohnnyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis66 View Post
It's hard to say. Usually 22 frets on a Fender guitar suggests american origin. This feature makes no difference. It becomes a factor if they made two octave or 24 fret necks, which I would prefer. It is not possible on a Stratocaster's scale.

I love the big headstock. Its a vintage appointment, one that Jimi played. I like the second tone, which affects the bridge humbucker.

I don't care for the operation of the S1 switch. I'd rather have a 3-way toggle for SHS function on the bridge humbucker.

Overall, I like the guitar for the price and the bridge HB. The price suggests MIM.

Last edited by qblue; September 25th, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
qblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qblue View Post
It's hard to say. Usually 22 fret necks on a Fender guitar suggests american origin.
Its most definitely MIM. Fender wouldn't put these specs in a 599 MIA guitar.

Old September 26th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

One gripe: battery. I don't like any musical equipment that runs on batteries.
twangless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I think they look pretty cool. Big headstock and all. I like the early CBS style decal. As far as the Black Humbucker that some folks dislike, it's personal taste. It reminds me of the Guitar Paul Pesco uses in Live from Daryl's house.
98BlackStrat is offline   Reply With Quote