Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Craigslist and Emails

After 8 emails I quit. Trying just trying to buy a guitar. I email name and number to seller, then I send another after 20 hours, 8 hours later he sends email, won"t call, wants to know where I live, another email telling me price is firm, another telling me he has offers. Another telling me he won't meet me half way, and on and on.

I QUIT! When I call about a guitar I have a good idea where it is, I have cash, I know what I want and I'm ready to hop in the car and drive, if it wasn't a good deal I wouldn't bother you. Some people just make deals painful, lots of guitars out there, I'm gone.

Marshalls surf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

You are who I want to sell to when I infrequently sell something.

I like Craigslist cause I know how to use it and its free. Here in L.A. it's either completely legitimate or completely NOT but it's a great resource. I just sold my Blues Jr. amp off Los Angeles Craigslist today. I got three emails with 15 minutes of posting. I told every one that I had been burned before, this is a legit sale and the first guy who shows up with the cash gets it, the amp is mint and exactly as described, perfect. I can tell you that guy who did come over was happy, he came over and gave me the cash and we were both happy. Craigslist is great for selling if you know how to use it.

Any time you try to buy something however it is a complete crapshoot. If they don't respond to emails I don't get involved. I definitely try to talk to them on the phone before meeting. iI only purchased from CL a couple times but I always start by emailing a question that gives me an idea what I'm getting into with the seller, and I expect a fairly quick response but sometimes there are reasons why they don't respond right away. And ONLY buy in person after inspection, never EVER buy anything off Craigslist without personal contact, DO NOT have the item shipped unless you are 100% sure it's legit. Some people just post pictures on CL or Ebay and don't even own the item up for sale.
johnnyha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I've made some great deals and dealt with some great people thanks to craigslist, but trying to sell stuff on there sometimes makes me question my faith in the general "goodness" of humanity, etc. You kinda have to take the good with the bad.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Flakes abound here in the desert too. Some people make it impossible to buy anything. Others will sell it out from under you when you're halfway there on a 50 mile drive.. Lowballers everywhere.. and half of the legit sounding buyers never show up. Then of course you have the trolls who respond only to say they don't like what you're selling or they think the price is too high.

Well its that or put up with ebay's new outrageous fee increase. I list on Reverb too where the fees are good, but not a lot of buyers.
2011 Fender Classic Series 70's Stratocaster "Edge Modified"
FredC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredC View Post
Others will sell it out from under you when you're halfway there on a 50 mile drive.
Good point. The guy who bought my amp today was driving here from 30 minutes away and couldn't come for a few hours. Because we were talking on the phone I told him I would hold it for him, he appreciated that. It was a great transaction, he brought his son and he jammed a bit.

Craigslist is yin and yang for sure. I sold a nice video camera for a great price one time on Craigslist Los Angeles, I knew it was a great barely used camera and an awesome deal, and the guy who came over was so skeptical and suspicious he kept looking at me like I was going to knife him or something. I knew exactly where he was coming from. ONE THING - Be VERY careful if you are going to meet someone somewhere with a wad of cash. It can go horribly, horribly wrong.

Last edited by johnnyha; February 24th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.
johnnyha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I've only ever made regrettable trades on CL, so I will have to stop using it. I always loose pretty much.

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredC View Post
Well its that or put up with ebay's new outrageous fee increase. I list on Reverb too where the fees are good, but not a lot of buyers.
Yeah, ebay's new final final seller fees really screw you over if you only sell one or two, higher-value things a year. Reverb seems fairly promising. Looks like a nice, bull****-free way to sell and buy quality gear.

Old February 24th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

I like craigslist, But I ONLY meet people and do deals in a well crowded most likely coffee shops....Used to have people come to my house when I sold and bought stuff.
Satan, Rape and Murder: The Life of Miranda Barbour, Craigslist Killer
Viking inLA is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I hate communicating via email from CL. It seems like no one that posts on there knows how to send info via email.

-Jimmy Page
Shadowplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I've bought 100s and 100s of items on Craigslist. Never had any problems. If they don't give a number, email them yours and that's it. The only couple I worried about were through text only, and went okay in the daylight. But yeah, be careful. I always have in the back of my mind that someone might take my car, iPhone, cash, and you know. I like to talk on the phone first
robotguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

My entire bass and guitar rig are from Craigslist.

Just about to sell my telecaster come morning. It does have wiring issues and I told the guy about it. If he was turned off, that was fine for me but he was still interested. I willingly lowered the price from 300 to 270 to compensate and he seemed happy.

:P I try not to flake people since it happened to me a lot. I'm one of those honest yet few sellers.

As for buying......sigh...
datstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I've bought and sold quite a bit on CL over the years and it's a love/hate sort of thing.
In general it has been good to me, but you almost always have to put up with:

SELLING:
-lowballers
-insane traders (saying "no trades" in the ad seems to be useless)
-people who never show up to meetings

BUYING:
-no response to emails or texts, even in situations where the item has been updated or re-posted after they refuse to respond. (This has been a very common issue I've had with CL in my dealings)

I refuse to sell on eBay, but I still purchase from there occasionally. Mainly because whatever I'm looking for, no matter how obscure, always turns up on there.

Old February 24th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking inLA View Post
I like craigslist, But I ONLY meet people and do deals in a well crowded most likely coffee shops....Used to have people come to my house when I sold and bought stuff.
Satan, Rape and Murder: The Life of Miranda Barbour, Craigslist Killer
The risk may be related to what you're buying and selling:

Quote:
On November 1, Miranda posted an ad on Craigslist offering companionship for men who "hated their wives."

Old February 24th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I've had luck buying on CL. Am debating trying a sale. I can't understand the people who just don't show up. That's a personality flaw for sure.

Some sellers who don't respond may be overwhelmed with spam etc and the real offers from legit buyers get mixed in.

Would be cool if there was a good buyers / sellers club or something.

Selling on guitar forums is an option but from what I have heard it can be very expensive to ship a guitar unless you have a commercial account.

Old February 24th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Craigslist... send me your lonely, psychotic, huddled masses...

It really seems to attract some very "special" people. Or maybe I've just been unlucky 20 times in a row.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Craigslist... send me your lonely, psychotic, huddled masses...

It really seems to attract some very "special" people. Or maybe I've just been unlucky 20 times in a row.
LOL! You are so right about ''special'' people. I've had many great buys from C/L, met some nice people and great players, but there's always going to be a few, it's the law of averages.

I could start a weekly thread about the ''few''.
Marshalls surf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Heard good things about Reverb. Chicago Music Exchange runs it.

Old February 24th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I had an interesting Craig's List exchange last weekend. I wanted to sell a custom Heritage 575 with a spruce top in order to finance a high end strat purchase. This guy started asking questions one at a time via email, even though I gave him my phone number. I thought he was a crack pot. Then he came back with a ridiculous offer. Eventually he agrees to throw an American Standard start with nicely upgraded pick ups on top of the cash.

Now the deal is sounding pretty sweet and I might be getting a good stratocaster which is what I wanted.

Once we reach an agreement he tells me we have to meet in between which is about 125 miles away. duh! I thought he was local!!

I finally agreed to meet him in a Starbucks in Bowling Green OH. He showed up on time, made the exchange, the new strat is phenomenal, all is good. And I still have enough money to get me 2/3 the way to that high end strat.

I like Craig's List.
TeleNic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

well this is somewhat a useful thread as i'm trying to sell my LP through gumtree, which is a similar type classifieds listing. For those of you that sell guitars where do you meet? On one hand i don't want to tell strangers where i live, and on the other i don't want be in a public place counting out all the $$.
Burgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Some people meet in police station parking lots etc. Or in a coffee house. I once bought a great guitar in a gas station parking lot on a freezing January night.