Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old March 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Was 2000 a good year for fender?

I got a 2000 American Standard and while I can't say I've had a lot of strat experience something is different about this one! It just beets any strat I've ever played, and I have played quite a few in the store, but don't have experience as an owner!

mahler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Ive had 3 different MIM strats over the years that were from 2000, they were all pretty good, but not much different from whats out now (i dont know if you question was more for US or MIM) Maybe you got an exceptional one
benjammin420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

It might just be that it has a good setup and has been broken in. Maybe it is a good year though, I have a 2000 American Strat that I love.

In 2000 they changed the name from American Standard to American Series (not sure what yr they went back) and I believe that was the year they moved to their current, more high-tech factory.
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

The year doesn't matter, the factory doesn't matter. When it comes right down to it, not much about the hardware matters. What does matter is whether you got a good piece of wood. It sounds to me like you did.

Sidebar: Through the decades the Fenders people lust after have been the most beat up pieces of crap you've ever seen. Yet the ones that sell for the most money are generally the ones that look like they've never been touched. Could it be because the pristine examples of vintage instruments didn't sound all that great when they were new? Were they put under the bed because they just weren't all that exciting to play? We may never know, but I do know that it's been nearly impossible to recreate the magic that some of those vintage instruments had. I tend to think that it's the wood more than anything else. YMMV.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

2000-early 2008 was the American Series Strat. I think most years since the closing of Fender's most shameful decade, the 70's, they've managed to produce on the whole, pretty decent guitars. You can still find, if you look hard enough, a few from the '70's that weren't bad either.
fenderkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I actually think mine was a fender standard not series and it was from Corona...... The serial number is Z0152275 anyone have any idea if thats a series or a standard....doesn't really matter but just wondering!

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahler View Post
I actually think mine was a fender standard not series and it was from Corona...... The serial number is Z0152275 anyone have any idea if thats a series or a standard....doesn't really matter but just wondering!
If the bottom tone control has a detent half way (TBX), then its most likely an Am Std. Delta Tone with the detent at full on, then its an American Series.

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderkev View Post
If the bottom tone control has a detent half way (TBX), then its most likely an Am Std. Delta Tone with the detent at full on, then its an American Series.
Detent full on! Any difference between the two models quality wise?

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

The American Series was supposed to be a slight upgrade. The big talk at the time was of the rolled fingerboard edges, and of course the Delta Tone control.

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
The American Series was supposed to be a slight upgrade. The big talk at the time was of the rolled fingerboard edges, and of course the Delta Tone control.
Which one has the delta the series or the standard? And what does the delta do?

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

The 2000 American Series was the first to have the Delta Tone fitted, though they've continued with it on the latest American Standards. It works as a normal tone control until you reach the full on detent. In the detent it takes the pickups out of the tone circuit altogether, and its the same as having no tone control at all, in that it gives you more high end.

Old March 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
The 2000 American Series was the first to have the Delta Tone fitted, though they've continued with it on the latest American Standards. It works as a normal tone control until you reach the full on detent. In the detent it takes the pickups out of the tone circuit, and its the same as having no tone control at all, in that there's more high end.
Cool didn't know that, and explains some of my experiences! My last annoying question for you (you seem to know a lot about this and are willing to help )

How are the Series compared to current standards, I know the Standards have different base plates and bridge but anything else different? I just want to make sure I got a fair deal :D!

Old March 16th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Again the differences between the American Series Strats, and newer 2008+ Strats are subtle. The main difference is the bridge and saddles on the newer model are more vintage like. I also own a 1989 Strat Plus that has the same bridge set up as yours. Apart from aesthetically I haven't found much of a difference playing wise, with the bridges. My 2008 Std is quite a bit lighter though, but that can vary from one guitar to the next. The American Series Strats are darn good guitars so I wouldn't worry.

Old March 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Again the differences between the American Series Strats, and newer 2008+ Strats are subtle. The main difference is the bridge and saddles on the newer model are more vintage like. I also own a 1989 Strat Plus that has the same bridge set up as yours. Apart from aesthetically I haven't found much of a difference with the bridges. My 2008 Std is quite a bit lighter though, but that can vary from one guitar to the next. The American Series Strats are darn good guitars so I wouldn't worry.
Thanks ;)!

Old March 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Since 1998 Fender has really improved a lot.That is the year they opened their state of the art facility with cutting edge technology to produce guitars made with greater precision and detail.I remember not liking a lot of Fender's U.S built American STD's models in the 90s....they were ugly and had a strange vibe.I was playing a lot of Japanese ones which were more affordable and superior guitars.Then in 1998,Fender started turning things around.They started making Strats with the proper 50s/60s style body contours...Strats felt like genuine Strats again.The previous 90s ones were ugly and bulky....they really felt cold and mass produced.The newer ones had a much more appealing classic vibe.In 2000,the American series came out and those were the first AM STDs that I enjoyed playing....they felt great.Fender came to realise that while they have to innovate they have a legacy to protect and maintain.Since 1998,they have really showed that they take that seriously.I think these days the current stuff is better than ever.
sonny wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

They also went to the single string tree on the 2000 MIA series. The previous MIA standards had 2 string trees.

I had a 2000 Strat that was fantastic and I really regret selling it. I own a new 2008 MIA standard strat and I can assure you, I won't make the same mistake twice. This one is a keeper.
crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I had a 2000 hardtail (2 trees). It had a swimming pool route (which I don't think was favored by most). I played it unplugged a lot. Sounded great.
A Gibson something or other
MIA Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12
Giber Fendson is offline   Reply With Quote