Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Differences in neck sizes?

So, I'm curious about the difference in neck sizes. I'm looking at buying a Classic Series 60s Strat w/a 7.25 neck radius. I have a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat that I'm in love with, with the 9.5 radius neck. What will the difference between these two feel like? How does the whole radius thing work? Is the 7.25 a smaller or bigger neck than the Squier? I tend to lean a bit towards thinner necks.........help?

TSims1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The radius is not the neck size, it is the curve of the fretboard. The smaller the number, the more it's curved - the bigger the number, the flatter it is.

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Also, the smaller the radius the more comfortable for fretting chords.
The larger the radius is better for string bending as the notes don't choke out toward the top of a bend.
If you want a thinner neck you should probably steer clear of alot of the true vintage style necks as they were generally thicker - although a 60's style might be more comfortable for you as it's a rounder "C" shape versus the sharper "V" shape of a 50's style...

"I've played venues smaller than your pedalboard..."
ToneRanger is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I used to have a Squier Strat HSS in red, white pickguard, large headstock, maple neck. I assume the neck radius was 9.5 but the width of the neck was horrible.... I hated it... Far too wide.... I only got it as I needed a spare and my tech bought it for me from the US. Now, my plus deluxe has a neck to die for, is 9.5 radius and just the right width.

“My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour
bettsaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

necks:

wildwood had a decent description of some of the Fender necks they get Wildwood Guitars | Electric | Fender | Dealer Select Wildwood "10's"

radius:
Guitar - Your Guitars Neck Radius and What it Means
7.25 rounder (like a vintage strat) 16 flat (like a jackson)
boof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cool - thanks ya'll, that was exactly what I needed. Boof, great link w/tons of useful info. Thank you!!

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

I had some folks trying out MIM '72 Thinlines and Deluxes back to back; comparing all the various features and all the details.

I had to point out to the guys that the '72 Thinline had a 7.25 inch radius neck while the '72 Deluxe Reissue had a 12" radius neck. What's more, they were not believing me; they thought they were the same. If this is possible, I'm pretty sure the rest of us can adapt back and forth from 7.25 to 9.5 and back and unless we're playing at an extreme level I don't think hiccups are likely.

To amplify slightly on what Wideglide has correctly said, a 7.25 board enables a player who has small or disabled hands to maybe handle a wee bit deeper neck without disliking the result. A 9.5 or especially a 12" board (assuming all edges are relieved about the same) begins feeling larger overall because of how prominent the board edges start becoming but this is subtle as I'd indicated before.

I would expect you to be able to bounce back and forth between those 2 models - then you'll be an expert on what parts of the MIM are better and what parts (the fret finishing!) on the CV is better.
Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, awesome. That's helpful. I'm kinda bummed.....I stopped into Guitar Center today on my way home to try out a Classic Series 60s but they didn't have any in stock. I really wanna play one....!

Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSims1 View Post
Ok, awesome. That's helpful. I'm kinda bummed.....I stopped into Guitar Center today on my way home to try out a Classic Series 60s but they didn't have any in stock. I really wanna play one....!
I know how it is when you have gas. You gotta have that one thing. But I want to warn you to really test out that 7.25" fretboard raduis before you buy. Bending and bending clean can be a real challenge on them. It can be done and some guys will tll you they love them. But for me a 9.5" is minimum. I have a strat with a 12" that bends even easier and plays really well.

Guys in the early 60s didn't tend to do as much bending as we all do now, so fretboards have leveled out a bit for this reason.

Good luck, and please ignore the above if the guitar speaks to you.
amstratnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know what you mean Pesky, it's tough to go try guitars in those places. I gotta tell you though, I DID pick up a MIM standard Strat today that really impressed me. It felt really good......I hadn't played one in a while and don't know if quality has gone back up a bit on them, or if I just found a good one, but it felt really nice. Of course, I didn't plug it in 'cause the guy in the next aisle had his SG CRANKED up so he could stumble his way through "Smoke On The Water" over and over and over and over and over and over and over...................

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

that was a good way to explain it wide glide
mijstratsq is offline   Reply With Quote