Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

Questions about 1991 USA Strat

Hell. I'm new to this forum but I hope some here will be able to help me. I recently aquirred a 1991 USA made strat in a trade with a friend. I found the serial numberr on the fender site and it was made in Corona, CA in 1991. The question I have is about the body. Do you guys think that the body is the original which matches the neck. I can't seem to find a photo of this guitar. The closest I've come is a re-issue of a '74(I think) Strat. But the backplate on the original and reissue are more of a triangular shape. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

TheEmeraldLotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Looks like a modified Strat Plus...... Ive seen a couple hundred Plusses over the years, but I don't think I've ever seen a natural one (not saying it isnt legit)....I'd pull off the neck, and pickguard to figure out exactly what you have (post the pics for us, maybe we can help)..
Orlando Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member!

I know the Dimarzio bridge pickup isn't stock and I'm assuming that the other two are not either. They are Fender Lace Sensors. And the tuners are locking, also assuming not stock. Anyway, if it's mostly legit I'm hoping the natural wood color is rare.

I'll post some pics of the inside tonight. Thanks for the fast response!!!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

the signs point to a Strat Plus bro....no string trees, roller nut and lace sensors....we'll see how the body shakes out....but I would be encouraged by the few clues available.
Orlando Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

No comment other than it looks like a very nice guitar.
WayneS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member!

Pictures of the insides and the neck as requested. My camera couldn't make out the writing on the neck but it is stamped SEP 05 1991.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Also with the Hipshot Tremsetter......Yeah, it's screaming "Strat Plus!!!!"
SeafoamStrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Oh Wait... a Strat Plus DLX with the Blue/Silver.... Lace Sensors.

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, nice guitar there. Nothing to worry about.
gcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Yes it's a keeper. Love the Strat Plus DLX, just love it.

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Its gotta be a strat plus with a totally stripped and unfinished, or aftermarket body with a swimming pool route... Ive never ever, everrr seen a natural one.... But it looks GREAT... Wood can be so beautiful sometimes.

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member!

Anyone ever seen another 91 Strat Plus Deluxe in natural wood? I can't find ANY info or pictures of one like mine at all. Anyone have a guess at value? It's all original except for the Dimarzio bridge pickup.

And I agree. The natural wood look is gorgeous.

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Check this out for the Strat Plus - Very informative site:

Xhefri's Guitars - Fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I was just going to put that website. Hes got ALOT of info. and

Here is a little Fender inconsistency for you. Fender lists the colors that were available for the Standard Plus models as: Arctic White, Black, Black Pearl Dust, Blue Pearl Dust, Brown Sunburst, Caribbean Mist, Grafitti Yellow, Lipstick Red, (see-through) Blonde, Midnight Blue, and Midnight Wine from 1987 till 1997. And then in 1997, Candy Apple Red, Inca Silver, Sonic Blue, and Vintage White finishes were introduced; Arctic White, Black Pearl Dust, Blue Pearl Dust, Caribbean Mist, Lipstick Red, Midnight Blue, and Midnight Wine finishes were supposedly discontinued.

There were a lot of other finishes offered by Fender that were NOT listed. Some were vintage colors and others were just not listed as available in the Plus line: There was Surf Green (seen on the Jeff beck Strat above and could vary in tint from year to year, but it was always a more milky, light green), Sea Foam Green (which is much brighter and darker than Surf Green), Gun Metal Blue, Shell Pink, Burgundy Mist Metallic (very rare), Lake Placid Blue, Pewter, Shoreline Gold, Taos Turquoise and several other colors. Also I have seen more Vintage White Plus' in 1993 than Arctic White, yet Vintage White was not listed as available till 1997! There were Candy Apple Red Plus in 1987-1991 too, which also was not listed till 1997. Sonic Blue was available in 1996! Toward the bottom of this page you can see the Taos Turquoise which is pretty rare. I hope to show most of these colors in up coming web page updates, but untill then check out all my Strat Plus pages and you will see a lot nof these colors!

It doesnt say anything about natural finishes... but who knows?

BTW is it a one piece body or 2?

Last edited by Jawknee5; May 20th, 2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: adding text
Jawknee5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member!

from the above posted link:

Many of the Plus DX models also came in: Antique Burst, Black, Blue Burst, several variations of Crimson Burst, Mystic Black, Natural Ash, See-through Blonde, and Shoreline Gold finishes. Well, where is the Gun Metal Blue as seen above (I have owned a couple of these!), and the Tranparent Red Burst? (not the Crimson Burst with silver around the edges). The there was some CAR (Candy Apple Red), even though that color was not listed till 1997, as well as Shell Pink in 1987-88! I have also seen several other colors not listed on Fenders Spec sheet. I have a Black body that has a green/blue sparkel off a stock DX Plus! Some special orders? Some bodies left over from CBS era? Who knows! I love'em, but inconsistent.....

Very interesting. You guys think the natural ash or see though blonde could be what my Strat is?

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

To me it looks more Ash than Blonde. I have a Fender Ash Strat and yours looks very similar to Ash.

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member!

Body is a 2 piece and it is MINT! I wish my camera was better so I could show how truly beautiful this natural finished wood looks.

Would any of the writing on the body underneath where the neck attaches give any clues as to whether it's the guitar's original body?

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Hey Jawknee5 - you are so right. Fender is Consistently Inconsistent!!!

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
New Member!

Here's a 1991 Natural Ash Plus. Looks just like mine except it has a rosewood neck.

Fourth guitar down:

RockItt - Buzz's Guitars

Old May 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Like the maple fretboard better.