Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old June 12th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

How can I tell if I need new frets?

I have a 95 MIM Standard that I absolutely love, but the frets on my neck are getting worn. At what point will a level/crown not be sufficient, and a refretting necessary? I don't know whether to spend the money on a new neck or a fret leveling. The GBe side of the frets are much flatter than the lower strings, as I do a lot more bending with the higher strings. Any help would be appreciated. I tried taking pics, but my camera is crappy and I couldn't get any good shots.

ckim715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

You should be able to tell if fret wear is at the point that you can no longer cleanly fret the string onto the fretboard. You can usually tell also with a visual check by bending the string out of the way and looking for a condition like this:

StratDen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I don't have divots, but they are getting pretty flat as opposed to some of the less frequently used frets.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Yes, the pic I put up is extreme to show you the effected area. If you're handy you can buy the proper tools from Stu-Mac and do a fret job yourself.

This is a series showing Fret work that can be helpful to you...

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Hey, thanks a bunch Dennis, it is much appreciated.

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Anytime, good luck with your frets...

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I wish I had a sure way of telling whether my frets are too worn or not...I'm wrestling between getting a new neck (Always wanted a rosewood V) or buying the tools to do a level/crown/polish. I might just go ahead and get a new neck, transplant the tuners, and stow the neck away for a future project. Any opinions?

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim715 View Post
I wish I had a sure way of telling whether my frets are too worn or not...I'm wrestling between getting a new neck (Always wanted a rosewood V) or buying the tools to do a level/crown/polish. I might just go ahead and get a new neck, transplant the tuners, and stow the neck away for a future project. Any opinions?
When you said:

"The GBe side of the frets are much flatter than the lower strings, as I do a lot more bending with the higher strings"

That would lead me to believe you're in need of a refret. It wouldn't make sense to bring the rest of the existing frets down. I would do the refret, even if you pay a tech to do it, it's less expensive than a new neck in most cases.

Old June 13th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

A new mitey mite neck would be fairly cheap, iirc. There's a local dealer that sells MM necks near my house, so I can visually inspect the one I would buy; I figure I can buy that neck, then use this mim neck to practice refretting it, and if successful, put it towards a project guitar I've been working out in my head. Opinions on that option?

Old June 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

If you're experiencing string buzzing or the notes choking out when you bend them, then you need a fret dress or maybe a partial refret. If you have these problems take it to a good luthier who'll do the job for not THAT much money. The guy who does my work for me, tells me that half the refrets he does, are a result of people thinking they can do the job themselves and messing it up. Buying a new neck is totally unnecessary!
fenderkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratDen View Post
Yes, the pic I put up is extreme to show you the effected area. If you're handy you can buy the proper tools from Stu-Mac and do a fret job yourself.

nice series of videos. I hadnt come across that before.
boof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Stratden - crap, that is extreme? I have frets a lot worse than that on many of my guitars...
sarNz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Send a message via AIM to rwbjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwbjr
Quote:
When you said:

"The GBe side of the frets are much flatter than the lower strings, as I do a lot more bending with the higher strings"

That would lead me to believe you're in need of a refret. It wouldn't make sense to bring the rest of the existing frets down. I would do the refret, even if you pay a tech to do it, it's less expensive than a new neck in most cases.
I have NEVER seen a case where fret wear from "bending" strings some how flattened the frets. I think it is all in the OP's head or... he got the guitar that way and this is the first time he looked at it.

If the OP's observations are accurate I would believe that the flattening on one side is from previous fret work done at some point.

RB
rwbjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarNz View Post
Stratden - crap, that is extreme? I have frets a lot worse than that on many of my guitars...
I hope that isn't bragging... LOL! You must have a greater tolerance for degradation then.

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boof View Post
nice series of videos. I hadnt come across that before.
It's alot of info, but it's best to be familiar with more aspects and techniques than not enough. Especially for anyone undertaking this for the first time on their own.

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbjr View Post
I have NEVER seen a case where fret wear from "bending" strings some how flattened the frets. I think it is all in the OP's head or... he got the guitar that way and this is the first time he looked at it.

If the OP's observations are accurate I would believe that the flattening on one side is from previous fret work done at some point.

RB
Agreed, whatever the cause may have been. I was particularly respodning to the resulting condition of the frets that the OP was speaking of. The idea of buying a new neck versus addressing the worn frets to me is equivalent to throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Send a message via AIM to rwbjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwbjr
Quote:
Agreed, whatever the cause may have been. I was particularly respodning to the resulting condition of the frets that the OP was speaking of. The idea of buying a new neck versus addressing the worn frets to me is equivalent to throwing out the baby with the bath water.
I wasn't really arguing with your point - just seemed like an appropriate place to interject considering you showed a photo ore "typical" fret wear (just in an idiotically short time period).

My actual theory is that the frets are shinier/cleaner with no residual finish on top of them in the spots he is looking at. If indeed they are actually lower and flatter then I go to my second theory - somebody else took a file to it or they were smoking a little too much at the factory that day.

RB
rwbjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
PolyMayerMaple

Quote:

interesting videos! crazy how much goes into that job.
Lua1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Those frets might be levelable and considering that I do my own fret work, I would level them.
But to pay someone to level frets that are so bad is stupid. There would be no room for fall off and a year later you will have the same problem again!
And to say that you should just leave it???
Dear god - no. That would annoy me to no end. I'd have nightmares!!!

Stationary divots as in Denis's example (to me) is a sign of softer fret metal, as streching strings causes much more wear than just pushing down on a string.
Either way, it sounds to me like you need a refret or if not now, you will soon. Replacing the neck should not be the option. Your goal should be to keep the guitar as original as you can, especially if, as you say, you really like the neck.
You should have the neck refretted with either stainless steel or that 25% harder fretting material that is commonly used by luthiers.

As for doing it yourself - practice first. Get a 20 dollar squire neck or an old MM cheapie and learn how to do all of the things indicated in the video's above. In the future you can do all of your own work and save a ton of money as well as enjoy the satisfaction of success in such a challenging task.
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lua1 View Post
interesting videos! crazy how much goes into that job.
Did you watch the entire series? It's well worth it whether you'll actually undertake the work yourself or turn it over to a tech...