Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old April 1st, 2007, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

TBX Tone Pot Users

I have question for you guys who use TBX Tone pot (I assuming that there are some of you out there?) As you may or may not not this pot is dual but 250k and 1 meg pots combine and comes with tan (brown) 0.22uf cap and 1 meg Resistor. I am seriously considering replace the tan cap with Orange Drop 0.22uf cap or 0.47uf cap can you give me the pros and cons on changing the cap part?

and of by the way I found TBX stands for Treble, Bass, Expanded not cut. The way it's describe on some web site.

I am making the TBX the Master tone pot and I am going to be using 250KA Blender pot (combing the bridge and neck) with 3 pickup selector a regular 250KA volume and the Custom Shop 69 picks

tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Tbx tone pot users

Bought a WHOLE bunch of stuff from a music shop going into bankruptcy. Add several of these TBX pots in there with everyting else. Had to do research to figure out what you had figured. Used one on a "slut" I was working on. Cream S/D blade in the front, white Dimarzio fs-1 in the middle, cream Dimarzio X2N power plus in the bridge. Slapped the ol' TBX in this girl and just stood back after I plugged her in. Got the sound out of a Strat I been looking to get since I first put a Dimarzio SDS-1 in a '64 Fender Mustang back in '79. Let me know how the orange drop works out. I tried a few variations on .033, .049, .022, & .001(I'll never do that again) and am amazed I have a house still standing.

too-many-strats
too-many-strats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Well I am supposed to be getting at end of this coming week so helpfully I'll have this done soon.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Been busy lately. Built a pretty nice Strat & am finishing off 4 more (within the month). So, what did you think after you put the TBX pot in????? Takes some getting used to I'm sure.

Old June 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

It's great with the .047uf orange drop cap more so then .022uf tan cap that come with it. In fact I am going to replace the tan caps on another pickguard I had done as I get a solder and soldering pencil.

Old June 12th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Need any more GENUINE Fender TBX pots. Bought out a music store that lost it's Fender lic agreement. Had tones of other stuff. Still do.

too-many-strats

Old June 12th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

By the way, saw your 2 in the pic. Nice axes. Don't really have time to shoot & post mine.

Old June 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

At the moment I don't, but I will keep you in mine if I do.

Old July 8th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

hey tazzman,

now that you have been using the TBX for a while, what do you think? Is it a keeper?

bob
bobthecanadian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Unfortunately Bob I have change of heart. The TBX is OK, but when I put a Couple of CTS 250K audio pots with the .047uf 100v Orange Drop Cap I like it even better then when I had TBX's in there.

Now I will have 4 of those TBXS. 3 of them have the caps and resistors and that I bought and open, but never got around to soldering the cap or resistor on. I probably could sell them cheaply and get a little money for them, but not much.

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I have been curious about the TBX thing for a while, but I haven't really heard of anybody using them and sticking to them for long.

If there is somebody out there that is a dedicated user, then I would really like to hear from you.

I use an EMG SPC (Strat Presence Control) in my Highway One Strat. I really like it. It is a midrange boost, active circuit. It is definitely not cheap, but I find it to be very useful. I have this strat with wired with a Master Volume, Master Tone and SPC. Works pretty well for me. I get all the sounds I want plus more.

Tazzman, good on ya' for trying out the 250K pots with .04tuf caps. Classic combination.

Cheers.

Bob

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The TBX is Treble/Bass/eXander (not cut like most people say it was) I would recommend checking out this link from TDPRI.com

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech...bx-rewire.html

It's got some good stuff. I didn't quite make to year on mine and I plan on doing the above link, but when I put the 250k Audio pots back in the idea just went out the door.

The one Problem I did run into is I was trying to do a 3 CTS 250K audio pot for volume control, but for some reason the volume would not go off. I had it all wired in correctly.

Old July 9th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Hi Tazz,

Yeah, I know you from TDPRI. Glad to bump into you here as well.

Cheers,

Bob

Old July 9th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecanadian View Post
Hi Tazz,

Yeah, I know you from TDPRI. Glad to bump into you here as well.

Cheers,

Bob
Yeah I came to here when this forum open. I see now it's slow starting gain usage.

Old July 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I sure hope it picks up. It looks good. Get a few more guys in here that are willing to get into it and we have another great place to hang out.

Peace,

Bob

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by too-many-strats View Post
Got the sound out of a Strat I been looking to get since I first put a Dimarzio SDS-1 in a '64 Fender Mustang back in '79.
That's eerie; I thought I was reading something I wrote myself, for a second. Because that's me, including the DATES.

Except I realized, mine was a Dimarzio "Fat Strat" pickup. Still have that pickup, too...
beep.click is offline   Reply With Quote