Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old July 20th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Mid range boost

Passive with the Villex...or active with the Mid boost kit. Haven't found any sound clips as yet.

Saw mention of Lace Sensor having something in the mid Boost bit...but can't find anything on it.

Experience and or opinions with this sort of thing.?

Thanks.

Michael

brazil66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I'm interested as well. EMG has the Afterburner, Lace pickups are commonly used with the Fender (Clapton) mid boost.
gcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil66 View Post
Passive with the Villex...or active with the Mid boost kit. Haven't found any sound clips as yet.

Saw mention of Lace Sensor having something in the mid Boost bit...but can't find anything on it.

Experience and or opinions with this sort of thing.?

Thanks.

Michael
Passive devices (Villex) cannot boost a signal. All they do is change the resonance point of the pickup. Way overpriced if you ask me. Do a search on You Tube. There are hundreds of clips on Clapton Strats and mid-boosts. If you don't want to go to the trouble (and expense) of installing a Clapton mid-boost, GFS sells this:

"Clapton" style mid boost circuit- Drive your amp!

It provides 10 dB of boost (25 dB for Clapton) and appears simple to install. I am considering getting one in the near future.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio
bluesky636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcat View Post
I'm interested as well. EMG has the Afterburner, Lace pickups are commonly used with the Fender (Clapton) mid boost.
Current Clapton Strats use Fender Vintage Noiseless pups.

Old July 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Ya...I'm getting the Lace Sensor pups, but I've never been drawn to the active side of things...don't really went a battery in it. But I'm not Died in the Wool...so I need to Hunt the Tone some more ...zero in. Youtube....tha't a good hint. I'll look there.
brazil66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Soooo, what's the resolution on this folks? As a pretty new-to-the-forum member, I have been looking through old threads, and wondered if anybody took the plunge? I too am interested in all the options mentioned here, particularly the less expensive options. Any of you end up installing one of these?
tacomamc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomamc View Post
Soooo, what's the resolution on this folks? As a pretty new-to-the-forum member, I have been looking through old threads, and wondered if anybody took the plunge? I too am interested in all the options mentioned here, particularly the less expensive options. Any of you end up installing one of these?
Nope. I decided I didn't want my SCNs to sound like humbuckers. I installed the Fender "Greasebucket" tone circuit in my guitar (Don't ask. Do a search. I have a thread about that elsewhere in this formum.) instead and am very happy with the sound.