Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old October 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Strat newbie with Hank Marvin questions

Hi Folks

since this is my first post, a quick intro - American living in Germany, been playing for >35 years; the last 30 a Telecaster. Somebody offered me a good deal (well, I though so) on a '96 Japanese Hank Marvin, so what the heck I jumped on it. I'm having fun with this guitar, although it confuses me (what are all these pickups and knobs?? This vibrato thing is, um, interesting.)

So of course I'm trying to find out about it on the internet. But I don't really get any clear info. For example, the Japanese export guitars are basswood - except, apparently, the Hank Marvin. Ok, so what is it? Anybody know for sure? It doesn't feel like ash. Seems to be a two piece body.

I was also looking for info on Japanese vintage bridges. Mainly, I want to know if they are 1:1 identical to US vintage bridges, especially the threads for the trem arm and block.

I also had to resolder the jack and pots, and thought they looked a bit substandard.

thanks in advance for any info,

steven

stevo58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

My 1993 MIJ sunburst Strat has a poplar body, maple neck & rosewood fretboard. So I think there are many exceptions to basswood.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy playing your new Strat. I've owned Teles in the past and far prefer Strats.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Congrats on your purchase. Although made in Japan these are in fact very fine instruments and all components should be excellent quality.

If you can post a photo it'd be really interesting. HM's models all came out in 'Fiesta Red' though that colour seems to have some variances.

I have a Fender Squier MIJ Hank Marvin, Ltd Edition (they all were) which has turned out to be a fantastic guitar over the years and of better quality to a Fender MIJ Standard Strat I have, both in build and sound.
StratmanNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Sure, here's a photo. It's the one on the right (obviously). The red is pretty pinkish.

The guitar feels great, sounds good too. It's much lighter than my '76 baseball-bat ash Tele. My back thanks me.

steven
Attached Thumbnails
Strat newbie with Hank Marvin questions-guitars_800.jpg  

Old October 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via ICQ to johnreardon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
Sure, here's a photo. It's the one on the right (obviously). The red is pretty pinkish.

steven

Despite what many young historians say, we actually called them Salmon Pink back in the 60's. One I bought, back then, was advertised as Salmon Pink. Fiesta Red seemed to have come along a lot later
johnreardon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

That's very true John, aslo I believe I'm right in saying the UK would import sunbursts and spray them over here in the UK, hence possible colour differences.

If anyone can confirm this I'd be interested to know

Thanks for posting a piccie Stevo, yours looks the same colour as mine

Old October 12th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Just out of interest here's some info from my files on Hank's original Strat:

Hank Marvin's "Flamingo Pink" Strat

Rumour has it that Hank Marvin's was the first to arrive in the artist's country of residence - this time, the U.K. The guitar was a present from Shadows vocalist Cliff Richard, who wrote a letter to friend and colleague Dave Lilley, instructing him to order one direct from the Fender® factory in California. At the time, there were import restrictions which made Stratocaster guitars impossible to find in the U.K. After seeing Buddy Holly and the Crickets tour Britain in March 1958, Hank had searched the land for this wonderful new instrument, but couldn't find one anywhere. It was Cliff's idea to order one direct.
Fellow Shadows band member Bruce Welch guitar said in a 1996 interview, "It was like seeing something from another planet. When it arrived, which was March '59; no one had ever seen anything like it. It had that beautiful bird's eye maple neck, the parts were all gold-plated and of course it was that gorgeous pink colour. But first of all, there was the tweed case - the tweed case with all that velvet inside - and when we opened it, it just took our breath away." In fact, the guitar was such a beauty that the group used to take the guitar (and case) down to their old haunt, the 2 Is in London's Soho, just to show it off. The guitar was a brand new 1959 model with the serial number 34346, a white single-ply scratchplate and a tremolo arm. Although the finish was Fiesta Red, many people who have come into contact with the guitar (including Hank and Bruce) have confirmed that the guitar was definitely "flamingo pink" and not the familiar salmon-orange tinge of Fiesta Red. This has led experts to believe that there may have been an accident in the mixing of the paint batch.
Hank used the guitar for the first time on the group's third single, Travelling Light and Cliff's first studio LP. Bruce Welch of the Shadows now owns the Strat.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Cheers Bob, most interesting.

Interesting comment from Bruce about his first impressions of the Strat. He obviously had the same experience as me, posted elsewhere here.

On closer inspection Stevo, I think mine is definatly Fiesta Red and not the authentic Flamingo Pink which yours may well be. But to be honest I still love that colour, one reason that I bought it.

Old October 13th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Whatever the color may be, I'm having a lot of fun with the guitar. It sounds perfect through my subminiature tweed vibrolux, and the neck is one of the most comfortable I've ever played.

steven

Old March 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member!

UK would import sunbursts and spray them over

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanNick View Post
I believe I'm right in saying the UK would import sunbursts and spray them over here in the UK, hence possible colour differences.
not only over UK but all over the world.
The first real (pre CBS) Stratocaster in Russia was mine - Sunburst Stratocaster 1964 by the way, the guy who sold me that beauty said her first owner was musician from "The Shadows" but I didn't know that band at that time and unfortunately I didn't remember the name of the musician...
Is it possible?
I found this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Marvin:
1970-1971: Fender Stratocaster. Sunburst ->(conversion to)-> 'Black'
Does it mean Marvin was playing sunburst for a few months?
dim_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

dim_2007, is the strat you're talking about made in 1964 or you bought it that year? I'm asking because you may be the very lucky owner of a sunburst Strat that the Shadows rhythm guitarist Bruce Welch played for a while in 1960/61. As far as I know he played that guitar only live but the fact that he used it during the prime time of The Shadows makes it extremely valuable. Any pics would be very appreciated ;)

Cheers, Nick
34346strat is offline   Reply With Quote