Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Will 11 hole pick guard fit onto 8 hole strat?

I have a 57 reissue but the only fender pickguards available are the white (I have) and the black pearloid, I want mint green do the 11 holes
Match up to the 8 with the additional
3 or are they totally different?

I really want a yellowed/aged pickguard cause the knobs and pickup covers
Are cream. Just looks weird with this super white pickguard.

frank52387 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I asked some people here on this a while back and the general consensus is that they do not match up and you have to drill more than the additional 3 holes.

If you want a 8 hole in mint green here you go:
Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Pickguard Guitar

Good Deals with: jmiller475
mahler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Damn, ok thanks i wish there was more selection from fender, I'll look into those warmouth ones
frank52387 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Well in 57 there were none of the mint green celluloid (is that right?) guard so for historical purposes a 8 hole mint green would not be correct! I would probably drill for one of the Fender 11 hole guards. They are the only ones that look right to me. However the Warmoth still look good, just a little more green.

Good Deals with: jmiller475
mahler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

a lot of guys say the warmoth guards may not fit right on a fender body.
ghostwolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Is that true about the Warmoth guards not fitting? I was thinking of ordering this for my MIJ: Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Strat Pickguard
Lobotomy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy Boy View Post
Is that true about the Warmoth guards not fitting? I was thinking of ordering this for my MIJ: Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Strat Pickguard
My MIJ 1991 '62 re-issue would not take the Fender mint scratchplate correctly.
The shape was out. I found a mint guard that fitted well, but still had to plug and reposition some holes.
STRAT'71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwolf View Post
a lot of guys say the warmoth guards may not fit right on a fender body.
Geez... where does this stuff keep coming from?? What is it about Warmoth that attracts the constant flow of it?

I've got two of them here, and they fit my Fenders bodies just fine. You hold a Warmoth guard and a Fender guard up to the light, and all the holes line up. Now, if you've got an older Squier or something, neither may fit, but that's a Fender issue.

I also have two 8-hole mint guards. Technically, from a historical viewpoint it's not an impossible combination, but incredibly rare- there are less than 10 originals known, the last I read. Still rarer is the 10-hole variant, but it exists.

So, I have a Warmoth 8-hole mint guard, and a Fender 8-hole mint guard (older Yngwie Malmsteen, I'm told). Without the sticker, you can't tell the difference... except on the Warmoth I had them countersink the pickup mounting screw holes for the vintage oval-screw type.

PS... it is certainly true that there would not be a mint pickguard on an all-original '57, didn't mean to imply that. For a '50s model it would have to have been a later factory replacement (since "mint" is an accidental color for Fender guards only), and I don't know that they ever did that. A bit of a mongrel, doesn't bother me, but it might bother others.
Batocaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Batocaster- i suspect it stems from a desire to keep the body of the guitar original and pristine, despite swapping out every stock part not made of wood. why drilling new holes to fit a new guard is unacceptable mystifies me, always has.
ghostwolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Probably because a lot of people either don't have decent drills or don't trust their abilities enough to violate the wood.
Lobotomy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwolf View Post
Batocaster- i suspect it stems from a desire to keep the body of the guitar original and pristine, despite swapping out every stock part not made of wood. why drilling new holes to fit a new guard is unacceptable mystifies me, always has.
I get that... but actually I meant the false info about Warmoth that keeps cropping up, but pretty much only here and on the Tele forum. Second one today, sometimes it gets pretty heavy, and occasionally a little ridiculous... someone will mention Warmoth necks, and a half-dozen will suddenly jump in with "USACG is better" like a Greek chorus, and then you start getting these dark implications that there's something wrong with Warmoth, but they just don't want to say quite what...

You just don't hear this stuff elsewhere at all.
Batocaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batocaster View Post

You just don't hear this stuff elsewhere at all.

Your description is hyperbolic but yeah, I do see the people with professional connections aspiring to USACG, Guitar Mill, Musikraft, Brian Poe, etc., on most any forum I view.

Just because you got 2 W pickguards to fit does not mean that others will be so lucky. I own a LOT of Warmoth merchandise and for the most part I really like the way it works. But there are limitations and I just try to pass along what my hands on experiences with them are. I've done at least a dozen transactions with them.

One of 11-12 necks from Warmoth, with Warmoth sourced Gotoh splits:

++++

Back to the Original Poster

My recollection is that the original '57 bodies have no wood, but instead a void where one of the 11 pickguard holes is meant to go. Some "57 reissues" carry this void over, while others are identical to the 62 reissue bodies. Determine which you have otherwise you may be gluing the top of a screw into that hole, in place of a functional screw.

From the guy who couldn't possibly know what's talking about.

Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

the 50's (8 hole) and 60's (11 hole) plates are exactly the same shape, but the holes do not line up when mouted to the body. extra holes are required. modern strats still have the 11 hole plate but one of the holes is in a slightly different position. nb: im talking about american fenders here, im not too familiar with the *** and mexi guitars.
funkyrimpler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyrimpler View Post
the 50's (8 hole) and 60's (11 hole) plates are exactly the same shape, but the holes do not line up when mouted to the body. extra holes are required. modern strats still have the 11 hole plate but one of the holes is in a slightly different position. nb: im talking about american fenders here, im not too familiar with the *** and mexi guitars.
this is correct however I've put a 11 hole mint green pick-guard on my 58 custom shop strat without issue.
Frusciante is offline   Reply With Quote