Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Floating or decked bridge a la Hendrix on Amercan Special Strat 2010

Did Jimi Hendrix had his woodstock strat bridge decked or floating. I just bought this guitar and was wondering if i should leave it floating? I am also planning on changin the tuners to Fender Vintage F style
Attached Thumbnails
Floating or decked bridge a la Hendrix on Amercan Special Strat 2010-tremolo-bridge.jpg  Floating or decked bridge a la Hendrix on Amercan Special Strat 2010-white-strat.jpg  

jalexquijano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I can't tell. send it to me and i'll take a better look at it. Seriously, that's a beautiful guitar, congratulations. It's really a matter of preference. i like to float mine but i also only have two guitars so i change tuning sometimes and it's a little bit of a pain to do it with a floating bridge, so i decked mine. I'm honestly not sure what JH did.
woodsie831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalexquijano View Post
Did Jimi Hendrix had his woodstock strat bridge decked or floating. I just bought this guitar and was wondering if i should leave it floating? I am also planning on changin the tuners to Fender Vintage F style
Geeez. Four of your six posts are asking about whether you should float or deck your trem. Everyone that has answered has said it is a matter of personal preference and there is no right/wrong answer. Just pick one way to do it. If you don't like it, try the other way. You have to make up your own mind which is best for you.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio
bluesky636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalexquijano View Post
Pretty sure Hendrix decked his - 5 springs on his trem, so that's a pretty good sign it was decked.
I could never make up my mind which I liked better - so now I have 2 strats decked and 2 floating, so whichever mood strikes I have a guitar to grab...

"I've played venues smaller than your pedalboard..."
ToneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

hendrix had his trems float just watch live concert video and you'll seem him pull up a hair to unbind his strings. i prefer floating and haven't really had any problems. it can only pull up a little but htat does help keep it in tune durig heavy whammy use.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Hey bud you really shouldn't start a thread and ask the same question every time. If you still have questions you ask them in your original thread which will bump it to the top, members will read it and answer if they can.

06 Am Std HSS Sienna 05 Ash Tele Sp. Ed. 06 EJ White Blonde 98 Epi Dot 04 50th Ann Dlx 06 JV Oly White 98 JV CAR 98 '57 AVRI White Blonde 08 BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic 05 Epi Tony Iommi 09 Schecter Solo-6 LTD. Ed. 04 Epi LP 56 Goldtop
IvegotGAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
hendrix had his trems float just watch live concert video and you'll seem him pull up a hair to unbind his strings. i prefer floating and haven't really had any problems. it can only pull up a little but htat does help keep it in tune durig heavy whammy use.
You still can pull up on a decked bridge to check tuning. I keep mine decked and can still get a slight warble out of it if I pull up.
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I like a floating bridge, I'm not positive what Hendrix prefered, I can't think of any ovbious examples of him using the bar to raise pitch, but who knows. I say follow your heart

by the way, when did they start making white Specials? that looks great!

Old September 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have used mine floating but find that I can get the action a tad lower with it decked, and for my modest use it works fine, also i believe that if decked and a string breaks the others don't lose tuning. I stand to be corrected...Also if playing rythmn and holding the bar I don't get unwanted vibrato. Nice guitar!
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote