Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Neck Question...

So this is my first time over here...I usually hang out on the Tele forum but sense I've recently aquired a few strats and they have become my main gigging guitars I thought I'd join here as well

I've got a quick question...

I have a 1996 Mexican made Strat with Lace Holy Grain Pickups. I like the way the guitar sounds. The HGs work well for me as they have a move "vintage" sound but allow me to use higher gain pedals without all the buzz and hum of standard single coils.

My main question is weither it's worth it to replace the neck. The thing is a really nice feeling shallow C but my big hands and blues-ish infused playing style are making my arm hurt when I play longer shows. I REALLY like V necks, the Clapton is amazing and even the few Jimmie Vaughan that I played were good. I also like bigger fat necks like on the 50s tele's. I just feel like I need more in my hand when I'm doing lots of lead.

I know after market necks can be bought but is it worth it? I'd need to make enough from the sale of the current neck to buy another. Even though this is a MIM neck it does have the older spegetti logo on it, which I LOVE but it does have a truss rod hole so it's only slightly vintage looking I have a drill press so getting it drilled wouldn't be hard.

Another option I've thought of is to simply replace the pickups with something cheaper and then sell it on Craigs List and buy a guitar with a fat neck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

revelator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum! To answer your question, yes. I too have a MIM with Lace Holy Grail's. I put a '98 Classic Player neck on it, but that is NOT what your looking for (slim). You should be able to find a suitable EC or JV neck on ebay. Look for listings from seller i.d. Stratosphere, they usually have plenty. Or, go the route I did. The Strat in my signature down below, has a Musikraft 'Chunky C' profile neck, that has spoiled me! I too love fat necks now.

Old October 7th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

So the stratosphere guys were 200+ each...that's a little more then I think I could get for my neck...well I guess I don't really know how much I could get. What is a decent price for my neck?

I looked into mighty might...how's the quality? They are closer to $100 are they good tho? I gig several times a week so I need something that will hold up.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I've gotten $100-$125 for the MIM necks I've sold on ebay.

Old October 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelator View Post
So the stratosphere guys were 200+ each...that's a little more then I think I could get for my neck...well I guess I don't really know how much I could get. What is a decent price for my neck?

I looked into mighty might...how's the quality? They are closer to $100 are they good tho? I gig several times a week so I need something that will hold up.
I have found the MM necks to be of good quality at a great price point. It depends on what you want. I don't think you will find a fat neck from MM, although you can get a C profile. Most of them are finished in satin poly. It is a very comfortable finish to play, but it is not going to have an aged look. Of course you could refinish.

The headstocks are drilled for larger tuners. If you plan on using vintage tuners it will require a bushing. Not a big deal but it is an extra step and adds a little cost. The positioning of the tuner drills is SLIGHTLY different than an actual Fender headstock. They work great and it is only an issue if it bothers you. The nuts are plastic, so that may be another expense, depending on your preferences.

I use the MM necks when I am working to control costs. I plan to use a Musikraft neck when I am building something special. They sell on eBay in range of prices. I keep trying to catch one at a bargin price, but haven't succeeded yet. I'm sure you could get exactly what you want ordering direct, but the cost would be substantial. There are several others that provide coustom necks.

Since you asked, I'll toss in my 2-cents worth on the sell or upgrade question. I would keep the guitar if you are happy with the bridge. If you decide that an upgrade is needed on that I would sell it and get what you really want. The spacing issues on the bridge mount can be overcome, but that is where it crosses the line on the "is it worth it" question for me.
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

the Robert Cray neck is a big beefy C that is bigger than any neck I've played so far.
looks like 6105 frets, ping vintage tuners. bolts right up.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I just bought a Mighty Mite Maple neck from Stewart-MacDonald for $147. Compound Radius. Quite good quality, as good as MIM IMHO. It's not a fat neck though.

I did see Mighty Mites for sale in Musician's Friend website for $99 & one was a V neck.

You should be able to cover that by selling your MIM.
orcslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I think I may just pick up a alnico prewired pickguard from GFS to drop in and then sell it. Switching necks just seems like to much of a risk with getting it to pay off. I like the guitar but honestly that's mostly the pickups. I'll just try and keep my eyes out for a good deal on a JV strat and drop the Holy Grails in there...thanks for all the advice guys!!!