Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old November 11th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Has anybody bought a New Tokai Japan Strat in the UK ?

This place seems to have two very nice examples, a bit pricey, but if they are comparable to a USA Fender, then I think they could be a great deal
All Gotoh parts and swamp ash bodies, they seem like the real deal ?

Tokai TST50 Electric Guitar Sonic Blue With Tweed Case | Rockem Music

Tokai TST50 Electric Guitar White Blonde, Gold Hardware & Tweed Case | Rockem Music

also check out the paisley tele as well

Tokai TTE70 Electric Guitar Paisley With Tweed Case | Rockem Music
Attached Thumbnails
Has anybody bought a New Tokai Japan Strat in the UK ?-tokai-sonic-blue-1.jpg  Has anybody bought a New Tokai Japan Strat in the UK ?-tokai-white-1.jpg  Has anybody bought a New Tokai Japan Strat in the UK ?-tokai-white-2.jpg  

Has anybody bought a New Tokai Japan Strat in the UK ?-tokai-paisley.jpg  
Attached Images

simon0044 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

That sonic blue is giving me some serious GAS

Old November 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
----------------------

Nice! I had a few springy sound ones in the day great guitars.
I haven't been following Tokai for year . I thought they where all MIK theses days.
So whats the story here they brought back MIJ????
fenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Yep they still do MIJ models and import to the UK, but you can't get them in the US (Canada ???)

Also, I've noticed that the white one is basically a Mary Kaye. These seem pretty top quality to me. The price doesn't look too bad now. I may be purchasing one of these (but which one ?)

Can a Fender Japan expert give any info (i.e Sneaky)

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
----------------------

I will check that out. Must be in Canada somewhere after all they use our maple.LOL
The MK would be my choice. Is that place colse by you? So you can play them.
There must be other finishs available.
I have a AVRI 57 MK love it .

2 tone swamp would be great with maple 1 piece, 54 ish!
fenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

The paisley tele I owned had a seperate maple board on a maple neck with no
skunk stripe!!.
52 tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

i'd like a few minutes alone with that Mary Kaye one... that is spanktastic
rusticoaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

they never stopped making some models in Japan. Low end stuff is not but the high ends are. Haven`t been to a guitar store for a while so not sure whats for sale locally...for some reason I just don`t feel like buying guitars anymore...still, I have more than my share already.
sneakypete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Does anybody know what the pick ups are like, the advert just states Gotoh ?

Old November 12th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Drooling over the sonic blue...
bluesblabber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Agreed, the sonic blue with a dark rosewood 'board is a nice combo.

I thought Tokai had abandoned S-type replica's and changed the headstock and pickguard shape? Damn, things change so quick I miss stuff.

Spin The Black Circle
hornz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

If they were a couple of hundred quid cheaper, I wouldn't think twice, however at the price they are you can get a used Fender USA guitar.

They are bloody lovely though
Also, that Paisley Tele looks to be better than the Fender MIJ version (swamp ash body and more colour correct)

Old November 12th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

They do look nice but for that kind of $$$ I will stick with something that I am familiar with.
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

I grabbed one of the Teles from Rockem:

It's very nice - presumably made up from necks & bodies left over from the Fender Japan contract, well that's my guess anyway. 3 piece ash body (can you see the joins?), not the sen that Tokai used 30 or so years ago. Here's my 1980 Tokai TE70, for comparison.

I wasn't blown away by the new Tele at first as (despite the claims in the ad) Rockem did a shockingly bad set-up - if they did a set-up at all. But £40 to my local tech has put that right, & it plays beautifully now. In both price & quality it seems very close to the Fender Japan Teles, but the only comparable FJ Teles we get in the UK are the bound body ones. And I prefer unbound Teles.

So, bearing in mind how consistent Tokai Japan are, I'm sure the new Strats will be as good. And if anyone gets one, let us know. If there is another retailer selling them apart from Rockem, I would try them. Or, if you buy from Rockem, budget a little extra for a set-up from somebody who knows what he's doing!

Old November 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thanks for the info stratman, how are the pickups ? as they state Gotoh japan.

Also, if they are made up of fender japan bodies, why is the Tokai Paisley Tele so different from then Fender MIJ Paisley ?

Old November 12th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon0044 View Post
Thanks for the info stratman, how are the pickups ? as they state Gotoh japan.

Also, if they are made up of fender japan bodies, why is the Tokai Paisley Tele so different from then Fender MIJ Paisley ?
Good point about the Paisleys, & an even better point would be the Union Flag Teles I've seen somewhere, I think it was on the Tokai UK website. I don't know, my theory was based on the early ones we saw, like mine, which seemed to be 50s bodies (2 tone SB) with 60s style necks - not something FJ would release (I assume) as they are non-authentic vintage copies. Which isn't something that Tokai ever seemed to worry about.

But the newer ones do seem to suggest some sort of production run larger than I initially guessed at - so all theories welcome! Mine has no serial number, & I assume this applies to all of them. Which will make it interesting for our successors here in 25 years time when people try to identify & date one of them. Well done Tokai.

The pickups are fine, but then I've rarely been very impressed with Tokai or FJ pickups - the guitars are generally good enough to deserve something better. But that's a very personal opinion that many people won't agree with. The bridge pickup in my 1980 Breezy is an exception - I love it, it has that warm compressed sound I love in a Tele. But a mate compared them both this week & he preferred the pickups in the new one. So I guess the pickups are good, but maybe something else would be better, depending on your taste.

I've just picked up a Fender Calfornia Series Tele which has Tex-Mex pickups & I'll be comparing the two over the next few days. I have a spare Duncan Broadcaster bridge pickup which might get tried out in one of them.

Old November 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Cheers, the strats really do look top quality, the mary kaye especially looks very top end.

Your tokai teles looks really nice too, if you don't like that broadcaster pickup and fancy selling it, let me know ;-)

Old November 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon0044 View Post
if you don't like that broadcaster pickup and fancy selling it, let me know ;-)
I already have one in my P90 Tele & it's the best Tele bridge pickup I've tried yet. I'd be surprised if I don't like the next one I fit. We shall see....

Old January 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
New Member!

These are Great

I have been playing 26 years and have owned a lot of strats. I currently have a Fender custom shop 60s strat which is very nice. However, I must say the Tokai TST50 is a match for it no problem. My custom shop does not have the quality of timber used for my Tokai's body. I am lucky, I have a one piece lightweight swamp ash body which is basically unbeatable by any manufacturer. the acoustic tone of the guitar unplugged is superb, really zingy and loud.
It must be said that Fender are producing nice guitars these days, so other manufacturers like Tokai need to raise the bar higher in order to convince guitar buyers to buy a non fender guitar. They have certainly succeeded with this guitar. It really is that good. My guitar is strangely a two tone sunburst but with a rosewood board, it looks stunning. If you can find one, buy it.
Donluke is offline   Reply With Quote