Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old January 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

What body for my MIA neck?

Hi everyone, I googled my way into this site...and I was hoping that you would lend me a little of your expertise....

The issue is this: I have a strat with a MIA neck and a banged up Warmoth body (in a colour i dislike). I thought about re-painting it but it's a hassle and I really don't have the time....so I've decided to buy a strat body off ebay in a colour i like....

my question however is....what do you recommend? A MIA, MIJ, MIM or Warmoth...my pockets would definately prefer a MIM but I'm wondering if there's a lot of difference in the make of the bodies and of course the sound I'll be getting out of them....anyone ever faced this dilemma? If so what are your experiences.

Thanks in advance

Trip Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I like that a couple of the users selling large amounts of bodies are listing the weights in the ads. I like my guitars right around 7lbs completed weight.

I know it sounds "entry-level", but there are a lot of us in the Strat group at TDPRI forums that keep buying up the Squier Affinity($149) guitars and installing our custom necks & hardware on the bodies. I prefer the 2-tone Affinity Special. You can clearly see just 3 pieces of wood through the transparent finish. And it smells and tastes like Alder, as advertised(neck pockets are left unfinished). These are finely finished bodies that are 5mm thinner than conventional Fender/Squier bodies. I just like the way they feel & sound.

Also, within the last couple weeks a growing amount of this group are buying up the new Squier Bullet($99) guitars. Same reasons. The Bullets now incorporate the Trem system. In the past they were hardtails. After you sell off the unneeded parts on ebay you have very little into a good body.

Good luck
NewOldStock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

I don't really like Warmoth bodies.
Check out www.usacustomguitars.com
http://www.usacustomguitars.com/bodyspecials.asp

Ship it to Denmark, have it finned there or do an alder body yourself. Easy.
Bubbanov
Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member!

Thanks for your replies...I'm thinking I'll go for a MIA for the simple reason that I'll view the guitar as a Fender American Strat...It's a mental thing ;-)
Trip Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I would try to find an american body with nitro paint. There is an olympic white one on ebay right now if you want to check it out. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI[URL="http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&it em=230220274386&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI
bluesbabe101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member!

Stew mac has some nice bodies for a good price, unfinished as well as some flame top... my choice would be a nice flame top body for $195.... a good cheap really nice looking combo for your MIA neck.... they do ship intl too.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_...r:_Bodies.html

Other options is find an Allparts or Mighty Mite body...
robbieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

The regular alder bodies at Stewart MacDonald are Mighty Mite; I'm not sure about the capped bodies, possibly the same source.

If the Warmoth you have is factory finished, that is polyurethane, can be removed but it is messy. If you're hoping I will recommend Stratosphere or reliablefender, I am not able to do that, sorry.

The unfortunate thing about the Warmoth Strat body is, although Ken Warmoth is licensed to sell accurate Fender Strat and Tele bodies, as Allparts does, Warmoth chooses to do his quirky variation or interpretation; his really are not shaped the same.

In the time this thread has been going, several really sweet Strat bodies have been sold thru the USACG webspecials page, including two gorgeous one piece alder bodies of wonderful provenance. There's a 2 piecer there now.

Bubban0v

Old March 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member!

Yes usacustom web page. both guys used to work for fender. Warmoth/usacustom. both sell aftermarket.
spjoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

There is also the Guitar Mill as well. http://guitarmill.com/index.html
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mustang_steve
Grab a highway 1 body...then you can either use the highway 1 trem (import string spacing) or the am vintage trem for usa string spacing....both have the same screw spacing.

All the highway bodies I have seen are nitro finish. Mine is a nice satin black, but turns glossy with wear...the gloss effect on hand rubbed nitro is far superior to any other gloss finish I have seen.

Old March 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_steve View Post
Grab a highway 1 body...then you can either use the highway 1 trem (import string spacing) or the am vintage trem for usa string spacing....both have the same screw spacing.

All the highway bodies I have seen are nitro finish. Mine is a nice satin black, but turns glossy with wear...the gloss effect on hand rubbed nitro is far superior to any other gloss finish I have seen.
I have two homemade strats, both highway 1 bodies, both purchased from reliable fender on ebay for under 200 dollars.....great tone, sustain...the finish is nice and they are light without all that poly finish and multiple paint coats
Orlando Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1967@hotmail View Post
I have two homemade strats, both highway 1 bodies, both purchased from reliable fender on ebay for under 200 dollars.....great tone, sustain...the finish is nice and they are light without all that poly finish and multiple paint coats

The highway one bodies, all vintages, tele, strat, sunburst, all have a heavy poly base undercoat, and a unbuffed lacquer top coat. In mid 2006 the top coat changed from acrylic lacquer to nitro flavored lacquer. Both of these lacquers will polish up real nicely, very pretty result.

I saw where reliable fender had parted out a Limited Edition 60th Anniversary Tele body and certificate of authenticity. This makes me ill; I'd rather do business elsewhere. I suppose 'tune-o-matic' is far worse.

Bubban0v

Old March 20th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bubbanov View Post
The highway one bodies, all vintages, tele, strat, sunburst, all have a heavy poly base undercoat, and a unbuffed lacquer top coat. In mid 2006 the top coat changed from acrylic lacquer to nitro flavored lacquer. Both of these lacquers will polish up real nicely, very pretty result.

I saw where reliable fender had parted out a Limited Edition 60th Anniversary Tele body and certificate of authenticity. This makes me ill; I'd rather do business elsewhere. I suppose 'tune-o-matic' is far worse.

Bubban0v

mine are clearly 2007's

Old March 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1967@hotmail View Post

They look great. What sort of pickup modifications did you choose?

Bubban0v

Old March 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

This is my late 06 Sunburst Highway One, I hope the buffing shows some in the image. I have a maple aftermarket 1 inch neck on here in the picture, although now it has a rosewood cap aftermarket 1 inch neck, hardened trem screws, extra springs, etc.

I have a spare set of Keystones, but the 'Upgrade' H1 Strat pickups aren't that bad; the 'Upgrade' H1 Tele pups, I don't go for those.

Bubban0v

Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bubbanov View Post

This is my late 06 Sunburst Highway One, I hope the buffing shows some in the image. I have a maple aftermarket 1 inch neck on here in the picture, although now it has a rosewood cap aftermarket 1 inch neck, hardened trem screws, extra springs, etc.

I have a spare set of Keystones, but the 'Upgrade' H1 Strat pickups aren't that bad; the 'Upgrade' H1 Tele pups, I don't go for those.

Bubban0v
i dig that neck

Old June 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I bought a highway 1 body from reliablefender. I put my rosewood Deluxe neck on it. turned out real nice and all USA
dragonbat13 is offline   Reply With Quote