Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old December 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

98 MIM (MN8) Model mystery

Ok this is what I KNOW: Its a 1998 Model Mexican Fender Stratocaster (MN Fender on the head is blue/silverish with black outline, 22 frets, white pick guard with black outline, very deep deep purple color, and rosewood fret board. I bought this FROM Fender back when it came out, I dont remember what the name was.. It had decals on it about what model it was, and I took them off wanting my guitar to look clean. Now I realize that was a big mistake. It also came with the Fender Frontman Reverb 38 watt amp. Sooo now I'm putting it up for sale, I want a different color but I know this guitar is a special model (other that just the normal MIM Standard Stratocaster) I cant find the color matching the series online. Help? Plus, It'll be listed for sale on this site at a great price soon as I know how much its value is. The amp it came with is officially MIM Fender Frontman Reverb 38 watts.

floodingsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Just looks like a standard MIM strat to me... Midnight Blue. I owned one in the same exact color and year but with a maple board. There is someone else on here that has a 98 MIM in Midnight Blue with rosewood board just like yours. In fact his SN was only 6 or 7 digits away from mine.

I always thought the color was purple too, but Fender insists it's Midnight Blue. Sold mine about a year ago.I always thought the late 90's MIMs were particularly nice. $250-$350 is about right. A little more if you find a sucker.
barellano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Look like a standard Strat to me also... BTW, there is only 21 frets on your Strat, and that is alright for a MIM. I can't really see nothing that would make your Strat a SE... Maybe somebody else will...
BigNorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 16th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ayup, that sounds about right.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

awww cmon, I have been researching this for days now lol.. I am sure it is a model other than the normal "standard stratocaster" (although thats one of the best guitars in the world) I had to wipe off the decals with alcohol about 7 years ago, it came when I think fender was doing some kindof anneversary or something. Anyone remember what decals came with your MIM? And if your MIM came with the Fender Frontman Reverb Amp? I'm thinking it is either a custom players MIM or traditional or something.

**sorry 21 frets I miscounted** I'm searching online for the packages they sold back in 1999-2000 and also what strats looked like w/their decals sold as MIMs at that time

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for your input guys

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I know what makes it special; the strings are strung backwards!!!

Could it have been an FSR (Fender Special Run) strat? They do that every now and then. Sam Ash or Guitar Center will order a limited run of a special color or maybe different P/U's than the norm.

Most likely though, it is an everyday MIM.

EDIT: If it were a "Traditional Series", the fender logo would be solid black. The color of your guitar (midnite blue) is shown as a standard color, so most likely it's a standard. The annv years were '94, '96, '04 and '06 so far.

Good Luck
crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I will say this though... even if it is a special run of some sort, that's not going to really effect the price point since there's not really anything to prove it.

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

It is an MN8 plus 6 digits, not one of the choices on Fender.com. Should I just email Fender the full serial number?? Or does someone have access to something like that? Model number full is- MN8288381 I think the sticker I remember said super bullets... so I'm 90% sure now its a MIM Standard strat

Old December 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via AIM to kgbeast Send a message via MSN to kgbeast
It is a MIM standard. Here how you know,

It has slot in the trem-cover instead oh holes. From SSS Strats, only Standard and Deluxe have that, but Delux has 22 frets. This one is 21 so here you go.

Another clue is clear acrylic nut. Although this is not a typical thing, it is an indication of this NOT being a "fancy" model. Plain unmarked neck-plate in combination with above two things = not anything fancy. Fact that it was sold as combo with Frontman further proves that this is MIM Standard Stratocaster. MN8+6 is 1998-99 production year. Super Bullets are strings that are used on those.
kgbeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via AIM to kgbeast Send a message via MSN to kgbeast
I dig this color... My next partocaster will have this color the best I can mach.
kgbeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

As was mentioned, it may have been an FSR. Email the serial to Fender and request the spec sheet. If it had a little sticker that said "Special Edition" on the back of the headstock, it was an FSR.
Vintage59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Yup, emailed Fender already. Will update just to end speculation when they get back to me. I remember having stickers on the headstock, pick guard and on the back but because they were making the guitar look like **** I took them off. Maybe a gem, maybe a normal great year MIM Strat. Either way I'm sellin this one and a Les Paul to pay for a new Fender Strat

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodingsky View Post
Yup, emailed Fender already. Will update just to end speculation when they get back to me. I remember having stickers on the headstock, pick guard and on the back but because they were making the guitar look like **** I took them off. Maybe a gem, maybe a normal great year MIM Strat. Either way I'm sellin this one and a Les Paul to pay for a new Fender Strat

You won't have to wait long--the two times I've emailed Fender with serial numbers, they've been WAY fast in getting back with me with the build date and specs.

So what do you have your eyes on in terms of that new Fender Strat?
Blackmore Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

your serial number comes back as the following, a 1998 MIM according to the Guitar Dater Project.
I see nothing on that guitar that would make it anything other than a nice standard....the color is common, if it was an FSR, as suggested above, the serial would reflect that.
As for value, here in Orlando you see MIM standards in great condition for $200-$250 max. The Frontman amp is a hundred bucks new, so you might get $40....if you bought it at the same time as the guitar, that makes it 12 years old.....unfortunately 12 year old low watt Fender solid state amps don't exactly fetch a premium.

P.S. you bought this combo when you were 11? You go boy

The Guitar Dater Project - Fender Serial Number Decoder
Orlando Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I had this exact guitar when I was younger. It was my first guitar and I bought it early in 99, most likely a 98 model. I remember the color looking very blue under the flourescent lights at the store and in sunlight, but under the incandescent lights at home it always looked more purple. Either way, I loved the color. Mine was a MIM Standard, so I believe everyone is on the right track. Many guitars come with stickers on the back of the headstock, but I believe these are just required for export or something. I have since sold the guitar to a friend, but I plan to buy it back some day.
vonasemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The only thing "special" about this guitar is the way it is strung up.

Id fix that and that tone pot before selling.
But Id buy it for $150 as is...I actually kinda want this guitar too!

Its like my two previous MIM Standards had a love child...the best of both worlds.

I kinda miss those two guitars...
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Fenders Deliberation.... Mysterious

Quote:
Hello Will,
Thanks for writing in. I can’t find anything on that serial number. It seems a little long. Can you send me a picture of it or double check the number? Let me know.

For any follow up questions, please refer to ticket number: 7265

Best Regards,

Jeff Krause

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
Consumer Relations Department
8860 E. Chaparral Rd. Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85250
480-596-7195
consumerrelations@fender.com
Well, 150 is somewhere along the lines of you think I'm stupid. But I can understand looking for a deal. Either way I've kept this beauty shining and always taken care of. It dosent matter I strung it backwards, lol, yea I started stringing and then realized I had gone counter clockwise o I kept going to make it match. My guitar hasnt broken a single string in OVER YEAR AND A HALF and I play EVERY DAY. Doesnt depreciate the value of the guitar though, I have been very good to it (hard case etc.) I love Fender Stratocaster more than I love my *****y hot girlfriend. They should make the sexocaster for ultimately sickening strat enthusiasts. Male and Female models. Plus. My girlfriend, yea, shes extremely ****ing hot.. I want you to know that. HOT.. (shes watching) lol

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The ones pictured above, purchased used:
SB w rosewood was $200 from Craigslist
Midnight Blue w maple $225 from a guitar show.

I dont think you are stupid, but if you put this guitar up on Craigslist for sale for $300...I show up with money in hand, I see the strings installed in such a manor(is it in tune?), I see the knob is gone(from here it looks like the pot is broken too)...youre losing money cause I think the guitar is owned by somebody who hasnt taken care of it, and doesnt seem to know much about guitars, and then figure this(plus loss of interest) is why they are selling it.

Please dont take this personal, its just $300 is on the high side for a used one of these...$200 is average.
And I also understand that not everybody is very good at stringing up guitars...the guy I sold my Midnight Blue MIM to is a perfect example, and he plays GREAT! So I restrung it for him regularly til he moved up north.
Im really just trying to give you an idea of what your guitar is really worth, from the eyes of a consumer who has bought and sold a couple of these guitars.

[edit]AND Midnight Blue is somewhat rare for a MIM...but it still wont fetch anything more than any of the other colors. Not everybody is a fan of "blurple"...even though you and I think its the coolest color ever offered.
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Sprocket is right. I sold my 98 MIM Midnight Blue for $220 on Craigs List. It was also in pristine condition. Listed it at $275, then $250 and didn't get anyone to buy it until I went down to $220.

That said, I see used MIMs listed every single day at $300+ in my area. Do people actually buy them? Not sure, but they usually get listed over and over again, so probably not. If you do list at $300+, be prepared for low ball offers that you might have to take if you really want to move it.