Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old December 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Japan strat identification

I picked up a strat recently (well, a case actually but it had a strat in it) and although I will likely sell it on, I am trying to identify what it is.

I have a few japanese strats but they are all earlier than this T serial which is from around 94 or 95.

I am wondering if the body is genuine to the neck, or not. Some strange things compared to what I have seen in the earlier ones... can anyone help me identify if it is original or if the body/electrics have been swapped out?
Some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Japan strat identification-tserial-strat.jpg  Japan strat identification-heel.jpg  Japan strat identification-head.jpg  

Japan strat identification-tuners.jpg  Japan strat identification-neck-pocket.jpg  

Kyri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via AIM to kgbeast Send a message via MSN to kgbeast
Body is to hack of a job. I do not think it is MIJ. I think the only MIJ part here is the neck.
kgbeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeast View Post
Body is to hack of a job. I do not think it is MIJ. I think the only MIJ part here is the neck.
I agree - the body is solid, and the strat sounds OK but I have never seen a japanese strat with routiings like this. Also the contours are a bit strange, with slightly sharp edges, if that makes sense. Just wait until you see the electrics.

The ageing of the finish on the neck matches the body, which could be a coincidence or the body was swapped a while back.

Any idea what the body is from assuming its not original to this neck?
Attached Thumbnails
Japan strat identification-neck-fit.jpg  Japan strat identification-pup-routes.jpg  Japan strat identification-neckplate.jpg  

Japan strat identification-contour.jpg  Japan strat identification-cutaway.jpg  

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

That body is FUNNY.
mutato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I wondered if it might be a squier protone body, but they don't have the mickey mouse ears or rounded corners between the pup routes - at least on the ones I have seen. The mystery continues....

In the meantime here are a few more pictures. I have seen mid 90's mij strats with small pots so it is possible they are original, and the two single coils could possibly be as well but I am not sure. They have a really low dc resistance of around 2.9K! The switch looks like the cheap ones I have seen in affinitys.

Doesn't any one have a mid 90's mij that they can have a look under the hood?
Attached Thumbnails
Japan strat identification-staggered-pups.jpg  Japan strat identification-pots-switch.jpg  Japan strat identification-pups.jpg  

Old December 19th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Have you tried contacting John Blackman? Take a look at his sites, you might find something that looks like your guitar, Homepage, Fender Stratocasters, Made in Japan, Crafted in Japan or Far East Guitars, Fender Japan guitars for sale, new and used,*

Good luck.
texstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via AIM to kgbeast Send a message via MSN to kgbeast
I have bought a body like this from ebay once... I have concluded that I could have spend my money better. It weight a ton, and mickey ears are not cool. I think it is Fender reject body that was sold on ebay as "luthier project". I am sure this is a partocaster built around a good neck.
kgbeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Interesting, you could be right this one is quite heavy. Yours wasn't by any chance a sunburst, and if so was the grain any good?
I could easily make back what I paid by selling the parts, but I may use the body for some experiments if I decide to strip it. What I don't want to do is go to the trouble of stripping it and find that it looks worse. As for the neck it is OK and could be the basis of a decent strat if I don't sell it.

Old December 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Those pups look EXACTLY like the dragonfire's I used to have in a MIM Squier Series...

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyri View Post
I picked up a strat recently (well, a case actually but it had a strat in it) and although I will likely sell it on, I am trying to identify what it is.

I have a few japanese strats but they are all earlier than this T serial which is from around 94 or 95.

I am wondering if the body is genuine to the neck, or not. Some strange things compared to what I have seen in the earlier ones... can anyone help me identify if it is original or if the body/electrics have been swapped out?
Some pictures...
Hi mate, just stumbled across this post...

I have an identical strat, the serial number is a couple after your one.... Both body and neck are the same as yours!

Did you ever find out more about this guitar?

Cheers

Rich
Richlado is offline   Reply With Quote