Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old December 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

State of the Art Strat?

So I have this brother-in-law with a "state of the art" strat. What gives? Anybody ever hear of such a thing? Sorry, no pictures. It's a standard SSS configuration, 5-way selector, maple fretboard on a maple neck with a skunk stripe, body's as thick as a strat.

Anyone ever own one? I can't find anything about it on any search engines. I'd like to know more about this guitar, so please inform me.

KeithTheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Nevereverheardofthat.....
gypsyseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Maybe it has modern tuners, trem, nut, and truss. I think a lot of people here would settle for what was "state-of-the-art" in 1954.
jwhit007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

State of the art Strat is the American Deluxe with S1 Switching, Locking Tuners, Noiseless Pick Ups etc.
miurasv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhit007 View Post
Maybe it has modern tuners, trem, nut, and truss. I think a lot of people here would settle for what was "state-of-the-art" in 1954.
+1
Timmert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

When I think of "state of the art" regarding a vintage design, I think of craftsmanship.
Like a Ron Kirn guitar (never held one, but there is too much love in the air to doubt it)

When I think of a state of the art guitar period, I think of the Gibson Firebird X

(logging off and hiding for a few weeks ........ )
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Hugh,

Thats was just plain wrong.
John Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
Hugh,

I know

Old December 25th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
Hugh,

Yeah, that state of the art Gibson needs at least two more humbuckers, as well as futher exageration to the body's shape.
Blackmore Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Lol nice Gibson
Timmert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTheSnake View Post
So I have this brother-in-law with a "state of the art" strat. What gives? Anybody ever hear of such a thing? Sorry, no pictures. It's a standard SSS configuration, 5-way selector, maple fretboard on a maple neck with a skunk stripe, body's as thick as a strat.

Anyone ever own one? I can't find anything about it on any search engines. I'd like to know more about this guitar, so please inform me.
KTS, there is no "state of the art" model. Your brother-in-law is merely expressing his subjective opinion about his guitar. Perhaps it's a standard model with upgraded features? Perhaps it is a special model?

You should ask him what that actual model is, where it was manufactured and exactly just what is it that makes it "state of the art".

Old December 26th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
Yeah, that state of the art Gibson needs at least two more humbuckers, as well as futher exageration to the body's shape.
It really needs a wah that guy can play with his foot. Does it do windows?

Old December 26th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Not to sound trite (as well as too OT), but there are so many reasons why i never want to own a Gibson (again). From their piss-poor consumer relations to their business practices. The latter mostly based on how they virtually refuse to sell guitars through "small" stores. My guitar teacher owned a modest sized store and they wouldn't deal with him unless he stocked at least 50 Gibsons. This could be some hyperbole since it was hearsay. Though, I've heard elsewhere that this isn't uncommon of the neo-Gibson attitude.

I could yammer on about horrid quality control among other issues, but, eh...
lendryesky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ugly Gibson with a bad andy inside it aside, what is an example of a state of the art solid body electric ?

Old December 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

same thing here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lendryesky View Post
Not to sound trite (as well as too OT), but there are so many reasons why i never want to own a Gibson (again). From their piss-poor consumer relations to their business practices. The latter mostly based on how they virtually refuse to sell guitars through "small" stores. My guitar teacher owned a modest sized store and they wouldn't deal with him unless he stocked at least 50 Gibsons. This could be some hyperbole since it was hearsay. Though, I've heard elsewhere that this isn't uncommon of the neo-Gibson attitude.

I could yammer on about horrid quality control among other issues, but, eh...
OLD BOISE GUITAR, was told the same type of crap...I have no idea what the owner was comited to before this took place, but they did come to town and told him if he didnt increase his inventory but at least 80
Grand, they would cancel his deal and pull what invetory he had. He told them that as long as they were in the city, they might as well stay another day and he would prepare his Gibson holdings and they could take it with them when they left! LOL
stratmanblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I would guess there's some truth to that.
In all the small local guitar/music stores I've been in, they carry Fender (and often G&L too), but have yet to see one that carries any Gibsons.
In fact the only place I've seen them is at GC and the old Mars Music, both mega-warehouse stores.

For some reason, when I hear "state of the art strat" my mind automatically pictures some wild Super Strat.
A 1954 vintage Strat is still plenty state of the art to me. ;)

Old December 26th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmanblues View Post
OLD BOISE GUITAR, was told the same type of crap...I have no idea what the owner was comited to before this took place, but they did come to town and told him if he didnt increase his inventory but at least 80
Grand, they would cancel his deal and pull what invetory he had. He told them that as long as they were in the city, they might as well stay another day and he would prepare his Gibson holdings and they could take it with them when they left! LOL
several stores here in la went through this too. i believe they said it was a 50k limit they had to order. it was not a specific number of guitars. also they had a minimum $ to sell a year. so everyone dropped them like a bad habbit
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage59 View Post
KTS, there is no "state of the art" model. Your brother-in-law is merely expressing his subjective opinion about his guitar. Perhaps it's a standard model with upgraded features? Perhaps it is a special model?

You should ask him what that actual model is, where it was manufactured and exactly just what is it that makes it "state of the art".
I'm sorry, I should have made clear in my original post that "state of the art" appears on the headstock according to the brother-in-law; and that no other identification appears on the guitar. Wierd, I know, but that's what he says.
KeithTheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTheSnake View Post
I'm sorry, I should have made clear in my original post that "state of the art" appears on the headstock according to the brother-in-law; and that no other identification appears on the guitar. Wierd, I know, but that's what he says.
pics?????
boof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Huh, now that's weird. I've never heard of that.

Edit: I did come up with this old thread on TDPRI from someone who owns a SOTA Telecaster, and a Strat version is mentioned...
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...tele-copy.html

So I guess there is a brand of Fender copies with this name.
No real info on them though.