Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old January 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Killer Guitar Control Secrets. Is this a good course????

Just listened to the info about this course which promises to make you a Guitar God very quickly. Is it any good? How much does it cost? I only got the bit about paying 1$. Has anyone here used it and if so what do you think? At the moment I can only play a few chords. Also, I'm in the UK so how would I get the DVD's? Thanks very much.

miurasv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via AIM to kgbeast Send a message via MSN to kgbeast
I was kind of looking at it as well, but after reading many reviews, It appears to be a scheme to get a few bucks from you. It is a DVD for something like $49.99 and it just some bloke playing licks and tells you of some exercises that you've probably know already. In any way that is what I got from reading close to a 50 reviews where people also cry that the can not get their money back even though some sort of money-back-guarantee is indicated. You can sign up to his email list and receive some stuff. But as with anything, bitter looser go to the net and slander an honest guy all the time. I hope more will respond to this as I would like to know if this is legit as well.
kgbeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Site Admin

I cannot speak for this lesson series, but I must tell you I'm constantly contacted by "get rich quick" folks that don't play guitar asking me to promote their lessons on my websites. How do I know its a scam? They all offer me $37 of the $49 that they charge for each sale made.

Ah... something wrong there.

As I said, I don't know this one. But from the looks of it I'm guessing it falls in line with the others. These should be classified with Teeth Whitening, Acai Berry and Get Rich with Google ads. Ignore them.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

If you could become a guitar god that quickly and easily, then everyone on the forum would know how to do that already. And also, nobody would be a guitar god because its all relative. It probably shows you how to do stuff that looks really hard, but is actually really easy.
The only way to get good is to practice.
BHighkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
i know nothing

claude is an idiot, and can barely play guitar. stay away from his crap.
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

You want to be a guitar player,... practice...practice...practice, and it's FREE!
Rock and Reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Left is right!

Wait! I was gonna use the money that's being wired tome by a nice man in Nigeria to buy this... He said it will come soon, since I sent him my bank info.

Sort of reminds me of the commercial when VW was giving away a free guitar that plugs into their New Beatle. They had Slash playing through a wall of Beatles and the voice over said, "Buy a New Beatle and you can play guitar like this... If you're Slash..."

Old January 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock and Reel View Post
You want to be a guitar player,... practice...practice...practice, and it's FREE!
I agree. One thing I've notice is, for me...it can really help to play\practice music that's not in my "comfort zone."
jwhit007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Have to agree with all here about the 'play guitar overnight' nonsense. You may learn a trick or two ('heres a hammer on lol') but ask anyone whos good how they got good, and the answer is practice and dedication.

At the expense of sounding old, back when i was learning it was a combination of those dreaded mel bay books, and either pushing the needle back a hair over and over (and putting a weight on the turntable to slow it down LOL) or hitting rewind for a split second then play to hear the riff over and over again to try to learn it (those who know what im talking about will understand...the parents would be like 'you have to hit stop first you're going to break it'). Man i feel old.

But im not just reminiscing. We have digital music now, and you can easily set a loop and a time effect to loop the riff you want at half speed, at virtually true tone, over and over in something like vegas, acid, etc. So of course you have the option to hear something you like and then with a reasonable amount of effort, learn it.

But in terms of free lessons Youtube is an incredible and obviously free resource. You have everything from shred academy to berklee to truefire to lessons by the greats...larry carlton, frank gambale, robben ford, etc etc. Just figure out what you want to learn and chances are you can find a lesson online. Then if you like it, you can purchase a DVD or online subscription to the author (if available).

For absolute beginners I think private lessons are important...yes being self taught is great and all, but starting on the right track is also important.

Anyway sorry for the rant...but if nothing else hit youtube for some free lessons!
johnnyaxxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
i know nothing

this guy claude johnson, claims he discovered all these secrets. well, they might be secrets to people that just started playing 2 weeks ago. he is at an advcanced begginer level at most himself. he did put out some courses with some good players like sol philcox, but even on those there is little explanation. just showing licks.

Old January 6th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cyfer
claude is an idiot, and can barely play guitar. stay away from his crap.
Practice and patience. Practice till your fingers peel and it hurts the next day to play. You never stop learning. The better you become with your ear the better guitar player you will be.
Jfernan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfernan View Post
Practice and patience. Practice till your fingers peel and it hurts the next day to play. You never stop learning. The better you become with your ear the better guitar player you will be.
i am quite familiar with the concept. totally agree.

Old February 7th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member!

I think I get it

johnnyaxxe I think I know what ya mean about the danger of sounding old- even if there wernt many record players round when I was a kid but for whatever its worth dude I hear ya
agent8_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

These lessons are free. Justin Sandercoe Start with some beginner songs that you can probably already play since you already know a few chords and go from there. Seems like a nice guy and no pressure to buy anything.

Some moron on cable over here trying to look like Roy Orbison promises the same thing. Just a rip-off trying to take advantage of people trying to learn to play without all the practice time involved.

Old February 7th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thanks Guys! While I was certain that I would not become a guitar god, I did think there would be some good information there and was considering purchasing this.

Thanks for saving me some $$$
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member!

Buyers remorse

For what it's worth, I signed up to this forum just to give feedback on the course. I purchased it from Melbourne and received it in good order. The option to opt in to or out of the free trial offered (i think for guitar god membership) was needlessly confusing and automatically direct debits your account if you opt in and the free trial period expires. It took me a couple of emails to have this rectified there were no responses to any e-mail.

As for the content, well this guy can't 'string' a sentence of words together. What he can do is play a guitar which is demonstrated by the unnecessarily long and narcissistic solos that precede every lesson. Give me a break, I could find a bunch of better players on youtube! He will give you some helpful hints on some shortcuts to take to learn the fret board and there some diagrams of the scales downloadable from his website but that's the extent of it.

Here is the link to one of the booklets http://www.guitarcontrol.com/guitar-control-booklet.pdf

It also gives you some good points on areas of the guitar to further study in your own time but I would expect that all the content is available in one place if outlaying the $ for the learning system

I would not recommend this to anyone
xeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Order this. I have the book.. got it off the stand back in September I think it was. Don't know anything about the DVD, but the book is great. For less than the price of a lesson, there is a lot of good stuff in there. I knew a lot of it already but it was great to review. Made me practice more.

NewBay Media Online Store — Guitar World Presents The Best Instruction Book Ever + Free How to Play DVD
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2013, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member!

actually, i think Claude's Killer Guitar control secrets is a good course
with tons of information, and it works for beginners and intermediate players.
If there's a downside, its maybe that he plays too many solos. But it's
a long course. I'd love to have something like it when i was starting to play leads.
opustopus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2013, 03:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member!

Good info

I picked up a copy of "Killer Guitar Control Secrets" at the 2013 NAMM show. I didnt what to expect, but was pleasantly suprised. Good info that I would have loved to had access to when I started playing. The production of the video could be better, but has improved a lot since this one was made. I have picked up "killer Lead Guitar Secrets" and "Wicked Chicken Pickin Chops" and they both have great production and content.
guitardude4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2013, 03:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Stay away
buffalo0993 is offline   Reply With Quote