Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old February 25th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #61 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Mojo is part feel and part sound. Between a blacktop strat, an EsP ltd, and a schecter classic, I go for the thin neck profile because I am learning to play with a more classical geip. So the strat and and the esp have the feel.

In terms of sound, after feel is sorted, it is some kind of wood to pickup resonance thing. I can say that my esp does not have the same mojo-ness as my strat - it needs a pickup change to get mojo-ed.

Drake4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #62 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratMike10 View Post
Mojo is all about you, not the guitar. If you "feel it" it is not because of the guitar, but because of what you head and you heart tell you about the guitar. A certain guitar may be the coolest thing on earth to you, yet completely flat to the next guy, and viceversa... so mojo is in the eye, ear, and hands of the beholder.
I have to agree with this. I once brought my first year CS Robert Cray Strat to a Ronnie Earl show. My friend got me into meet him in the dressing room. He signed it for me. I asked him to please play it as well. He plugged into a little solid state beater amp that was in the dressing room. He then proceeded to go to town on it. Mind you, this was the 90's; way before smart phones. I have no photos or video of this, but it is burned in my mind. My Strat never sounded better. For those few minutes, my Strat had MEGA Mojo! In my mind it still does.

Why do some guitars have mojo and others don't?-image-3156157063.jpg

Old February 26th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #63 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I always felt that most people use the word "mojo" to get more money when they're selling a guitar that is all beat up.

I think of it as HISTORY. The beat-to-hell famous yellow Danelectro that Manny's Music on 48th st. in Manhattan has used to test amps since the 50s has plenty of mojo,famous signatures, etc. But, as someone who has played that guitar, I can tell you it is a piece of junk & no one could sound good on it. But, it still has mojo.

One of the best guitars I ever owned was a POS Music Man I paid 50 bucks for. Played & sounded unbelieveable & I would still have it if I didn't get mad at a gig one night & threw it across the stage. But, it had zero mojo.

I submit exhibit #1. Here are 2 of my Fenders. They are BOTH Custom Shop guitars. One of them is a first year '87 Custom Shop that I bought in mint condition (before there were "relics") The other is a recent CS Relic. (BTW the Tele pickguard is different; the original is 1 ply black) Can you tell which one was originally mint that I "reliced": myself through years of playing in smoky dives, and which one has the phony, instant gratification "veteran guitarist" mojo?
Attached Thumbnails
Why do some guitars have mojo and others don't?-dsci1709.jpg  Why do some guitars have mojo and others don't?-dsci1714.jpg  Why do some guitars have mojo and others don't?-telegatgard.jpg  

Why do some guitars have mojo and others don't?-headstock.jpg  
Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 27th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #64 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

The Strat is not a "relic" and has been played.

Old February 27th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #65 (permalink)

"Kinda like your chi-chis have mojo for me, honey....."

naw that may not work - need more coffee
bloomz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #66 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Several years ago I decided I wanted to buy a new American Standard and I played the same model in different colors in just about every guitar store in the area. One day I took one off the wall at GC and it played better than all of the others that I had tried before. Plus it looked awesome. To this day it is my favorite guitar and it gives me a feeling of pleasure every time I pick it up. It's the only guitar that I have ever owned that has given off this vibe. To me, that's mojo.
hergz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #67 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

a guitar with "mojo" is one that allows the music to flow from you. can't be explained by brand or type of guitar. for whatever reason it fits you and your playing. I think this is the biggest reason I have to try before I buy. can play several strats at a store and maybe 1 has that "it" quality despite all the guitars at glance seem to be the same (not including color). no guitar has "mojo" for every player just the right one
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #68 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I find that "smell" has something to do with it. For me, anyhow.

Because my guitars which have a distinct smell tend to have more mojo.

Otherwise...
Emotions that come from finding that unexpected gem of a guitar, or that GREAT deal on a rarity, or that guitar with a striking color scheme, or one with honest wear and a story behind it, that guitar that feels like part of your body.... all these things make for mojo.

Old February 27th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
going from a prs to a strat is like night and day
I have never played a PRS that had any Mojo.. But I'm stuck in the 60s, early 70s..LOL
smurph1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 02:04 AM   #70 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
Be cautious, too much mojo can be toxic, it can morph into muju which has been known to have deadly results. Don't let this happen to you. He was a former Strat player who strayed..

Holy hell! I can't believe this thread is still kicking... This made me laugh my ass off..
Musician78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:15 AM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

'mojo'...
that mysterious thing that makes you keep one guitar close to hand,
and the lack of which leaves another, possibly 'nicer' and more expensive one in the case.
guitars are made of wood, and wood is not consistent...
early pickups, scatter wound by hand on a rig that was basically an altered sewing machine... not consistent...
pots and caps with tolerances that aren't anywhere near precisely the nominal value... not consistent
they are assembled by different people on different days, and that's not consistent either...
the right combination of parts, assembled by the right person on a good day,
put into the right person's hands, there's some mojo.
i saw an interview with Eric Clapton, he was talking about Brownie, and how he would always go into the shops and look for the beat up guitars because that meant they had been played a lot, and if they got played a lot, they were probably good ones... of course, Brownie was a partscaster too, one great guitar made from the best parts of three different ones...
Gris-gris bag - Super-wiki
notice the term 'mixture' in the definition ?
this strat has almost palpable mojo for me:

sorry for the bad photo, KT doesn't like having her picture taken...

Bridget here also has that certain something...
as does this one:

she's named 'Wednesday', after Wednesday Addams... put her together on Halloween.

Last edited by dogletnoir; March 2nd, 2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added pics and words
dogletnoir is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:37 AM   #72 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qblue View Post
The Strat is not a "relic" and has been played.
Nope! The Strat is a brand new Custom Shop relic. I bought the Tele in '92 on 48st, and it was absolutely MINT when I bought it; not 1 scratch! It was a 1st year ('87) Custom Shop, before they made relics.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do some guitars have mojo and others don't?-cs-logo.jpg  
Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:47 AM   #73 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

There's no such thing as "mojo." Some guitars are great, some are mediocre, and some suck. That's it.
"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"
Jimmy R is offline   Reply With Quote