Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old January 25th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Fret Buzz...Ugh.

I recently bought a used MIJ Fender Strat. I noticed that the higher notes (especially on the top two strings) were dying out on the higher frets. There was also some buzzing coming from the frets, and the guitar had some tuning issues, going out of tune on the higher frets. I took the guitar to a technician to have it looked at. He said that the neck was bowed and that he could make an adjustment to the truss rod to straighten out the neck. He also made some adjustments to the bridge of the guitar. The bridge is a vintage style Callaham (set).

I got the guitar back, and noticed that the buzzing is still there. I also noticed that the saddles on the bridge were set up at a slant, instead of following the curve of the fretboard. (I have been told that the low and high E strings should be set lower with the other strings a little higher)

I'm getting fret buzz all over the place with this guitar, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Setting the action higher doesn't really seem to help. I use heavy strings (10s) Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks guys!

MaryBeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I recently bought a used MIJ Fender Strat. I noticed that the higher notes (especially on the top two strings) were dying out on the higher frets. There was also some buzzing coming from the frets, and the guitar had some tuning issues, going out of tune on the higher frets. I took the guitar to a technician to have it looked at. He said that the neck was bowed and that he could make an adjustment to the truss rod to straighten out the neck. He also made some adjustments to the bridge of the guitar. The bridge is a vintage style Callaham (set).

I got the guitar back, and noticed that the buzzing is still there. I also noticed that the saddles on the bridge were set up at a slant, instead of following the curve of the fretboard. (I have been told that the low and high E strings should be set lower with the other strings a little higher)

I'm getting fret buzz all over the place with this guitar, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Setting the action higher doesn't really seem to help. I use heavy strings (10s) Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks guys!
Hard to say without looking at it. You will get a ton of suggestions here.

Do you know how to check the neck's relief ?
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I don't...
MaryBeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

fret the bass E string at the first and 17th fret. look at the area of the 8th fret. there should be just enough space to slide a matchbook cover betweem the top of the 8th fret and the bottom of the fretted string. if there's a lot more, tighten the trussrod 1/8th to 1/4 turn at a time, until the space between fret and string closes.
ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote