Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old February 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

69 custom shop pickup balance and height

Just installed a new set of cs 69 pickups in my 96 strat. I included new pots, switch and cap from gs guitar works.

I am noticing volume on treble strings ( b and e ) is slightly lower/weaker than other strings with all pickups. Pickup height seems to have an effect. Also, with these particular pickups, the magnets all have different heights with the treble ones being lower.

What is pickup height spec for these ? Any other suggestions .?
Thanks

964racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

The G string is twice as loud as the B or E on my CP60 (w/CS69s) at the neck position. I'm certain that the vintage staggering and the narrower string spacing of the CP are the culprits. I started a thread but most folks didn't think it was an issue.
Kanegon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Here is a great site to explain pickup installation and height adjustment.

Guitar Pickup Installation Instructions

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

It could also be your radius, I believe that those pups where designed with a 7.25 in mind and not the standard 9.5-10 that fender uses now adays. Also worth a mention is the fact that they may have been sort of designed with flatwounds in mind seeing how roundwounds really worn't comercially available till some time in the 70's uptill that point it would have been some what difficult to aqiure some. I realize that these are reissue pups but if they went with the original specs than these might be some things to think about. And just for kicks and giggles you could try puting them all in reversed or backwards to see what gives
candyapple67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

do you guys have less volume on the back (bridge) pickup ? my bridge pickup seems to be about 20% less volume for same string energy than middle or neck pickup. I have the pickup height a little higher on bridge to try and compensate - but it is still lower volume than others . Maybe that is typical - or is it possible that my bridge pickup is lower output or maybe i have a bad solder joint your something...

Old February 6th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964racer
do you guys have less volume on the back (bridge) pickup ? my bridge pickup seems to be about 20% less volume for same string energy than middle or neck pickup. I have the pickup height a little higher on bridge to try and compensate - but it is still lower volume than others . Maybe that is typical - or is it possible that my bridge pickup is lower output or maybe i have a bad solder joint your something...
This is typical when all three pickups have the same output, as in the CS69s. Some sets compensate with louder bridge pups. The vibration of the strings is naturally stronger towards the middle, and least at the nut and bridge.
Kanegon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964racer View Post
I have not experienced this problem with my CS'69s. I had to actually lower the bridge pickup a little so it wouldn't sound too loud when switching from the neck position. Could it be a bad solder joint? I hope you find the problem...
mAx___ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

the solder joint -looks- OK...but if the connection was bad, i would think it would just not work or work intermittently - not a reduced volume...i think it is what Kanegon said - the output is the same as the other two, but the strings don't move as much near the bridge. I noticed also that when I threaded the screws into mount, that I didn't get one threaded perfectly straight and the bridge pickup is tilted slightly. I don't know if that would make a big difference. problem is that this would be hard to fix now...live and learn

Old January 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964racer View Post
the solder joint -looks- OK...but if the connection was bad, i would think it would just not work or work intermittently - not a reduced volume...i think it is what Kanegon said - the output is the same as the other two, but the strings don't move as much near the bridge. I noticed also that when I threaded the screws into mount, that I didn't get one threaded perfectly straight and the bridge pickup is tilted slightly. I don't know if that would make a big difference. problem is that this would be hard to fix now...live and learn
Well they are suppose to measure 5.8, but mine mesured 5.9 5.8 5.6, so the 5.6 is in the neck and 5.8 middle and 5.9 bridge, get yourself a meter,
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Vintage pickups ( low output) work real nice LOW like down with the pickguard, then I raise the treble side up about 1/16" -1/8".

Another thing about 69's is they don't really shine at low amp volume...........CRANK IT UP !!
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

The high G polepiece is all wrong. It's for a 7.5 neck, and most importantly, a WOUND G.
Modern plain G strings are thus unbalanced and way too hot.
Even setting the poles to the fretboard radius is wrong, BTW.

But 'tradition' overcomes common sense.
mechtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Yes. I just installed my 69's 2 or 3 days ago. My adjustment height was like this; 1stly, i raised the light end of the bridge pup to about 3mm / 1/8th", then strummed with all trebles up, and adjusted the other end lower until the volume of all strings together sound even. I then adjusted the middle pup to sounds like its the same volume as the bridge. Only a slight tilt, sitting low. Then the neck pup in the same manner, also sitting fairly low. The sound is nice indeed. Yes, i did notice the '69s not as toppy as the n3's. But i much preferred the tone i have now anyway, coz i play blues style. When i want a toppy sound, i can reach for my Ibanez Roadster II which has old DiMarzio's.
kustom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Yes, that is quite right. Cranking the amp really does the 69's justice, becoz these pups are not real high output types. The trade off is well worth it.
kustom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

i put some 69's in my CS strat a few weeks ago, i did have to spend the first week constantly adjusting height, the individual volumes were quite sensitive. i finally nailed it by taking a screwdriver to band practice and letting my bandmates decide when the level was balanced. they are fine now, the bridge pup is highest and neck lowest, with a slant on each pup (lowest at the low E side).

great pickups, i'm really pleased with them.
himijendrix is offline   Reply With Quote