Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old May 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

1994 40th anniversary Fender Stratocaster

I have a 1994 40th Anniversary strat,

I know there are 2 versions of it, the 1994 40th anniv. of '54 and the normal 1994 40th (confused?)

But i was wondering how much the normal one cost...

I am really confused about this T.T

gogostrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Site Admin

Well, there was the 1994, DIAMOND DEALER 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION CUSTOM SHOP STRATOCASTER (1954 REISSUE STRAT) ONLY 150 were produced

And then there were the other model that they made thousands of called the Anniversary Edition, with headstock badge and engraved neck plate "1994, 40 years and still rocking".

The Diamond Dealer model is worth 8 times more than the standar "Anniversary Edition."

Old May 11th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member!

wow then there must be like 3:

1. the diamond one your talking about
2. there's one that only 1954 were made
3. and the one i own i guess...
gogostrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat-Talk View Post
Well, there was the 1994, DIAMOND DEALER 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION CUSTOM SHOP STRATOCASTER (1954 REISSUE STRAT) ONLY 150 were produced

And then there were the other model that they made thousands of called the Anniversary Edition, with headstock badge and engraved neck plate "1994, 40 years and still rocking".

The Diamond Dealer model is worth 8 times more than the standar "Anniversary Edition."
had the red white and blue emblem on the front of the headstock too
Orlando Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have a 40th #1916 of 1954. It's a 54 RI and it's great. Looks like it was made by the CS shop but not sure.

Anyone have more info on these?

Scott
s-strats-D-rvb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Any info out there, anyone know about thses guitars??

Must be somebody.............

Old May 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator
Site Admin

There's not a lot to say about the 40th Ann Strat. Fender took a lot of heat from folks that felt it wasn't a real proper homage to the 1954 Strat.

They corrected this in 2004 for the 50th anniversary model. That one was a special CS model and they went to great lengths to make that one accurate to a 1954 Strat.

Here are some of the details of the 40th:

# Replica of a 1954 fender stratocaster
# 2 color sunburst with lacquer finish
# Maple neck with origional 'U' shape
# Ash body
# 25-1/2" scale
# bone nut
# 21 vintage frets
# vintage nickle hardware
# 1 ply white pickguard
# 3-way pickup switch
# Commemorative neck plate: "Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster 1994"
# Two cases one a lacquered Fender tweed case and the other a brown Fender "poodle" case

They sold for right around $1,954 if I remember correctly. They sell now for $1,200 to $1,500. You see them listed for $3000 but those folks are just dreaming.

These don't have Custom Shop logos on them, but they "might" be CS Team Built models. But, I haven't been able to confirm that. Most Team Built CS guitars have the CS logo on the back of the head stock. I owned a 1993 Team Built Telecaster that was wonderful, but it definately had the CS logo and came with a CS certificate signed by John Page.

Team Built guitars were made just like all the other guitars on the line, but assembled and hand picked by groups of senior employees. Some were CS employees others just folks with lots of experience.

There was a separate line of CS Masterbuilt 1994 40th Anniversary RUBY Custom color Strats with gold fittings made by Jay Black. But they didn't make 1954 of these just 40.

I think they had trouble selling all 1954 of them during 1994. Some have 1995 dates on them.
Attached Images

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks Strat-Talk,

I Have one of them, pretty nice guitar just the same. #1916 of 1954. Nice fat neck, Not the fatest though. Nice looking Ash Body and Flamed Maple neck. I wondered if the were a CS guitar, remember the early (1987-1989) Mary Kay's ? No CS marking on those either .......

One strange thing about mine, It's got two pickups with beveled poles and one with no bevel. the non-beveled one and has a much higher OHM reading. It's in the neck podition too. the others look a lot like the CS 54's, but did the make the CS 54's back then ??? They don't have the over done bevel of the newer 57/62's either. What P-ups did thses guitars come with ??

Scott

Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member!

40th anniversary strat

there's a limited edition '54 reissue strat ( surprise surprise 1954 made).
This one's not got the badge on the headstock but the edition number stamped on the rear of the headstock ( x of 1954). The neck plate says Fender 40th Anniversary stratocaster 1994.
A superb machine ( mine's 2 tone sunburst with a flame maple neck)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member!

Pretty certain these were made in the Corona factory - not a CS product.

Can anybody confirm these have a swamp ash body ?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator
Site Admin

Everything I've read on them indicates a Swamp Ash body. I wish it was as clear about the CS or not though. You read conflicting reports on this. But I agree it is most likely a standard factory production item.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Here's what I got From Fender. (below) I sent an e-mail a while back and they sent me the specs for the guitar and misc case "candy" and such that came with the guitar when new. The one I have is a great looking guitar with a Flame Maple neck and nice grain Ash body. I like mine, I also have a 96 Fender CS 60 RI. I'd say it on par with that guitar or close to it anyway.

Model Name: 1954 40th Anniversary Fender Stratocaster®

Model Number: 010-1954-803

Series: Limited Edition Anniversary Series

Body: Select Ash Body

Neck: Soft "V" Shaped Bolt On Maple Neck

Fingerboard: Maple

No. of Frets: 21 Vintage Style Frets

Scale Length: 25.5" (648mm)

Width @ Nut: 1.650" (42mm)

Hardware: Chrome

Machine Heads: Vintage Style

Bridge: Vintage style

Pickguard: 1-Ply White

Pickups: 3-'54 Strat Single Coils

Pickup Switching: 3 Position Blade Switch

Controls: Master Volume, Tone (Neck), Tone (Middle)

Colors: (803) 2-Color Sunburst

Strings: Fender Super 250R’s (.010 to .046) Nickel Plated Steel pn# 073-0250-006

Unique Features:

Source: U.S.

Accessories: Replica of Original Shaped Case

Deluxe Molded Case

Vintage Style Strap

Vintage Style Cable

Copies of:

1954 Catalog

The Original Ad

Owners Information Sheet

An Introductory Letter To Dealers From Don Randall

U.S. MSRP: $1,849.99

Specs: Prices and Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice

INTRODUCED: 1994

DISCONTINUED: 1994

DISCONTINUED COLORS:

COMMENTS: Serial Numbers Range From 0001 of 1954 to 1954 of 1954

WRENCH SIZES:

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I know this is slightly off topic, but a guy a now (Michelle - yes that's a guy's name in these parts!) had one of the Am St. model. His grandmother bought it and had it customized for him with a mirrored pickguard, and gave it to him a week before she passed away.

I remember one day he was playing and the strap let go and it hit the cement floor really hard, and cracked the pickguard pretty bad. He cried for like two hours... not that I blamed him. I was a little misty eyed too at the thought of it happening to me.

Now he keeps it locked up. He has a bunch of other guitars anyways, a couple of 70's Strats, and Tele's and a Les Paul. I think its mostly a keepsake.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw in that little story.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
They sold for right around $1,954 if I remember correctly. They sell now for $1,200 to $1,500. You see them listed for $3000 but those folks are just dreaming..
LOL! So true! I wonder if they are really trying to actually find a buyer, or just want to showcase their stuff????
StratDen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The ones from 2004 took most of the year to sell. Musicians Friend had some (that must have been returned) on their site through early 2005. There was also a Custom Shop version that sold for about $3k new.

Then there were the Anniversaries in 1996 and 1994 that were mentioned above. Most, but not all, are listed on page 63 of this year's VG Price guide.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey "s-strats-D-rvb" thanks for that info above, that's pretty definitive about what exactly the guitar specs were -- AND that it is NOT a CS built guitar.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Hey "s-strats-D-rvb" thanks for that info above, that's pretty definitive about what exactly the guitar specs were -- AND that it is NOT a CS built guitar.
Yes, Fender's staff is pretty good on e-mailing out full spec sheet data. They have helped me ID an handful mid 90's and later guitars with just a serial number...

Old May 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Your welcome everyone, glad to share some info on these guitars. Fender was very helpful in providing the specs for these guitars.

Mine came to me a few months ago, it had it's 5 position switch in and it also had an odd pick-up in the neck position. As listed in the specs it should have 3-54's. (they didn't make the CS 54's in 1994 did they?? interesting) So I put the middle in the neck posistion and put a 57/62 in the middle. I'd like to find an original 40th-54 P-up fpr this guitar as I think they sound pretty good. I know that might be tough. Or maybe a set of 56's or something on e-bay.....

Old May 24th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator
Site Admin

The CS '54s sound great. I had a set in my '79 for a long time. Sorry, I sold them years ago. I went back to the stock p'ups before I sold the guitar. They are really worth the cost if you ask me.

Old May 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I agree about the CS 54's ....I have a set in my 96 CS 60 RI Start (came with TX-Specials) and the CS 54's are great in that guitar. It might be what eventuallly goes into this guitar as well. I'd like to find a single 40th 54 p-up (I know, needle in a hay stack) to complete the set in this guitar, but........