Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old November 25th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

You can buy them new here

Hardware / Fender Wilkinson Roller Nut Manufacturer & Wholesale Supplier From Usa

One just passed around ebay for between $60 and $70.

I have a mix of both wilkinsons and lsrs

albala is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmack View Post
I can't believe no one has woken up to the fact that the old Wilkinson Nuts are far more superior for getting those real high harmonics that Jeff Beck looks for like around the 2nd & 3rd fret & many other hard to get ones, I've tried all the nuts & i was very dissapointed with the LSRs, there is just not enough downward pressure on the strings, the Wilkinson's second roller is very close to the first roller for max downward pressure & will give u amazing pinging ringing natural open harmonics, go for the old Wilkinson!!!!!! THAT'S why Jeff does for sure!!! Listen to Where Were You for proof........
I've heard that! And those who complain about the rattle don't set them up right, I guess? What nut works best? The early split one (which Jeff Beck uses) or the later straight one? I have a Graphtech Tusq nut on my strat myself, and it's not working very well.. I'm eager to try the Wilkinson roller nut!
W-Tig3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Check out the Lick Library Learn To Play Jeff Beck DVD by Michael Casswell he plays an early custom shop signature model with a split wilkinson to do all the harmonic stuff.
wilsona is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 11th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratphobic View Post
the reason that fender went to the lsr nut was that the wilkinson roller nut gives the average player lots of problems. when set up properly, they work wonderfully, but most people can't set them up. so, the only reason that you want a wilkinson nut is because jb uses them?
That's not correct. No problems with the Wilkinson. I have bought every one I've seen in the last 24 years and the all work fine. My main guitar (91 J Beck) has seen play everyday since it's purchase date. The reason JB has a stash of them is because they work. Better than my LSR. There isn't any set up on a Wilkinson nut. Keep it as clean as the rest of your guitar and I'll put it up against a Floyd. My worst Wilkinson is better than my best LSR.
guitarman60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-Tig3r View Post
I've heard that! And those who complain about the rattle don't set them up right, I guess? What nut works best? The early split one (which Jeff Beck uses) or the later straight one? I have a Graphtech Tusq nut on my strat myself, and it's not working very well.. I'm eager to try the Wilkinson roller nut!
There is no early/later version. Split versions are for 9s (or thinner) and flat versions are for 10s are larger. 10s will not go through the slot of the split version. I tried... My Jeff Beck came with both versions in the case (early 1991). I had to swap them out. They are the best. I buy all of them I can find. LSRs won't come close. I have them also.

Old December 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Why are they not still made? Looks like a (small) opportunity. Bit of a niche market but must be worth someones while doing a small run.

Old December 12th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Found these:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/u...ertles/235.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/u...ertles/236.jpg

From fender manual I think.

Old December 12th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman60 View Post
There is no early/later version. Split versions are for 9s (or thinner) and flat versions are for 10s are larger. 10s will not go through the slot of the split version. I tried... My Jeff Beck came with both versions in the case (early 1991). I had to swap them out. They are the best. I buy all of them I can find. LSRs won't come close. I have them also.
Jeff Beck is using the split and he uses super thick low strings. His string set goes from 9-52. He used to use 11-52 gauge strings.... I suppose his nut is filed down to fit larger strings. My question was do the split and straight nuts work equally great?

Old December 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Jeff Beck is using the split and he uses super thick low strings. His string set goes from 9-52. He used to use 11-52 gauge strings.... I suppose his nut is filed down to fit larger strings. My question was do the split and straight nuts work equally great?
I read that JB starts a tour with 9's and progresses to 12's as the tour goes on. This thread has been educational for me. Thanks to the OP and contributors!
stratstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
10s will not go through the slots on split versions. When I bought mine I tried to change to 10s. They wouldn't fit in the high E slot. My dealer made a quick call to Fender. The flat version was in the case. I didn't mean to derail. I still have both and they both work fine. I just prefer 10s or larger. They are SO hard to find. Cheers

Old December 13th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsona View Post
I just pulled out my original split version out of my case (1991). I took a new .010 string and tried to install it. It won't go through the slot. Wilkinson may have changed the slot sizes over the years but, I remember being bummed out cause my favorite strings wouldn't work on my brand new guitar. Both came with my JB model but Fender later shipped only one nut per guitar. Mine was ordered months before Fender started shipping. I love mine.

Old December 13th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #32 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Here you go -

Wilkinson Roller Nut
Armour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armour View Post
Here you go -

Wilkinson Roller Nut
What on earth is that?
Michael919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I use 10-46s on my split wilkinson without any problems.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #35 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I really want to install a Wilkinson nut on my strat, but the neck has a 10 inch radius. I've heard the Wilkinson accepts a 9.5 inch radius. Would it work or not?

Old March 11th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Rakuten: IKEBE ORIGINAL Wilkinson Roller Nut- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

http://www.hellotrade.com/b-hefner-c...oller-nut.html

Last edited by qblue; March 11th, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
qblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Hardware / Fender Wilkinson Roller Nut Manufacturer and Wholesale Supplier from Usa

Old March 11th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #38 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, thanks and all.. But that didn't really answer my question though

Actually I have an old Wilkinson roller nut lying about at home. I don't know if It's been used or not, but I got it from a guy who has a 91 Strat Plus and switched to a regular nut because he wanted a more traditional look.

Old March 11th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have an original 1987/88 split nut I'd sell for the right offer. I personally don't see anything better about a Wilkinson over an LSR.

www.vintagefenders.weebly.com
joeybsyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 06:06 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Yeah, thanks and all.. But that didn't really answer my question though

Actually I have an old Wilkinson roller nut lying about at home. I don't know if It's been used or not, but I got it from a guy who has a 91 Strat Plus and switched to a regular nut because he wanted a more traditional look.
I think you'll be fine. 9.5 and 10 are not that different of a curve. I have an LSR on a 12"er

any interested in parting with that old Wilkinson you have sitting around?