Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Robin Trower: Question about his gear

I'd like to recreate the sound he's making in this video

Would anyone happen to know or be able to hazard a guess at what he's got from the pickups, to the floor pedals and amp? Perhaps that's a known strat too ('70's headstock?)

One guess is that in the neck he's got a '69 and on the floor a Robin Trower Deja Vibe pedal.

Thanks,

Darryl

Darryld1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Custom Shop Cat

I know he likes heavy guage strings and tunes down a 1/2 step from normal tunning. I have also hear that he likes Marshalls for his clean sounds and fender amps for his dirty sounds.
sevycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I have that DVD "Living Out of Time" and would highly recommend it to everyone. there's not a bad song or note on the entire thing. He's definitely only gotten better with time.

You picked a good one to emulate. He's a master of tone and phrasing.

http://www.soundclick.com/blucas
Volusia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Awesome, this is the coolest thread that I have opened in a while!!! I have the living out of time Video and I have to say it is one that I could watch over and over again. Trower is truely a master, and as far as I am concerned one of the greatest.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

He sure has his pups very high.
Alan0354 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
He sure has his pups very high.
I'm not sure of the reason but I do know he uses heavy gauge strings and tunes down a whole step to D. He has also said in many interviews I've seen or read that his action is very, very high. That might account for the increase in the pick up height.

Here's another RT DVD I have from the Hot Licks series. He talks about his gear (of that time) plus gives some insight to his guitar and amp set up and breaks down some of his licks.

One thing about RT, he's experimented with many different gear, pick ups and effects over the years and he's always evolving and changing things up. I think his sound from Living Out of Time to the present is the best I've ever heard from him.

The audio is poor but good enough...enjoy!

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5

Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I was lucky. Back in 97' my blues band got to open for Mr. Trower. It's still the high point of my checkered career. That night I got to see his rig up close. He was using a Vox wah, a 69' pedal, Fulldrive II, Deja-Vibe. He had 2 HR Deluxes driving Marshall Cabs and a Marshall half stack. He used his Strats tuned a whole step down strung with 12's. I started buying and using as many Fulltone pedals as I can not long after that....

Last edited by Electgumbo; March 2nd, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
Electgumbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Huge Robin Trower fan. Can't wait to see him front row in Indy in May!

Here's a video of him running through the pedals used on his new album. He definitely keeps it simple.

As far as Daydream goes I believe he uses a Deja Vibe with an OCD.

How about some vintage Trower?

06 Am Std HSS Sienna 05 Ash Tele Sp. Ed. 06 EJ White Blonde 98 Epi Dot 04 50th Ann Dlx 06 JV Oly White 98 JV CAR 98 '57 AVRI White Blonde 08 BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic 05 Epi Tony Iommi 09 Schecter Solo-6 LTD. Ed. 04 Epi LP 56 Goldtop
IvegotGAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

AnthonyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Hey that was going to be my next post! Rob does a good job emulating Trower's style and tone while giving you the basics on how to play the tunes.

06 Am Std HSS Sienna 05 Ash Tele Sp. Ed. 06 EJ White Blonde 98 Epi Dot 04 50th Ann Dlx 06 JV Oly White 98 JV CAR 98 '57 AVRI White Blonde 08 BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic 05 Epi Tony Iommi 09 Schecter Solo-6 LTD. Ed. 04 Epi LP 56 Goldtop
IvegotGAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Will I be moderated for saying that I love you guys? Thanks for everything you've posted so far. I haven't had time to read and watch it all yet but I thought I'd say thanks in advance anyway.

Darryl

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Robin Trower fan here too. Saw him locally in a small venue a few years ago and it was as good as any album only better since I was watching him play! This probably ought to be in the Effects forum, but has anyone here used the Robin Trower Overdrive? The youtube stuff just doesn't sound very dynamic, but maybe it's supposed to be more subtle than the OCD. Sounds good when RT uses it.
Zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

For effects comparisons and tests, you might want to check out 'Gearmanndude' (with two 'n's) on youtube. He does side by side comparisons of anything i've ever heard of and much more, including sounding like Jack Black. Cult following too.

I've been considering whether to buy an all in one effects pedal unit (Boss GT10) or separate pedals. I think, if I follow my preferred style of music, i'll end up with a few pedals between me and my amp.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevycat View Post
I have also hear that he likes Marshalls for his clean sounds and fender amps for his dirty sounds.
Wow, that seems like an opposite from most.
jwhit007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagnut View Post
Robin Trower fan here too. Saw him locally in a small venue a few years ago and it was as good as any album only better since I was watching him play! This probably ought to be in the Effects forum, but has anyone here used the Robin Trower Overdrive? The youtube stuff just doesn't sound very dynamic, but maybe it's supposed to be more subtle than the OCD. Sounds good when RT uses it.
I have it and it's a *****'n fantastic pedal. I also own the Fulltone MDV2 and Fulltone Clyde Wah. Fulltone makes a great product and that RTO was designed specific to his specs. Check out StevieSnacks "COMPARINATOR" for a gear comparrison of the RTO against the others he has listed.

OldToneZone.com » The OD Pedal Comparinator

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Here's are some of the pictures I took of RT's rig from a September 2009 show. I flipped a couple so you could read the labels on the ones that aren't so obvious:

From right to left, Boss TU-2, Fultone Robin Trower Signature Overdrive, Fultone Full-Drive, Fultone Clyde Wah, Fultone Wah-Full, and Fultone Dejavibe 2 into two Marshall heads. At a previous show in 2007 he was using an old 70's JMP Plexi head and the other was a JCM 800. He's now using Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 heads. RT plays his Signature Strats with a Tex-Mex in the bridge, Custom 60's in the middle and Custom 50's in the neck position and hardly ever uses the bridge pickup.

I geek heavily for robin Trower. He's on tour again this year. He's in his late 60's so go and see him and hope you can rock as hard as he does when you are a grandpa!
Attached Thumbnails
Robin Trower: Question about his gear-11744667058_orig.jpg  Robin Trower: Question about his gear-rteffedts1.jpg  Robin Trower: Question about his gear-rteffects2.jpg  

Xchekker94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchekker94 View Post
Here's are some of the pictures I took of RT's rig from 2008. I flipped a couple so you could read the labels on the ones that aren't so obvious:
That WAH FULL is something I would love to have. I saw an interview where Robin explained what it did and he said Mike made that just for him so it's not on the market...at least not that I know of.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

That 'Comparinator' is a damn handy thing. OCD vs Robin Trower OD? OCD for me. The irony is that i'm a therapist and buying something called 'OCD' is just a teeny bit weird.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusia View Post
That WAH FULL is something I would love to have. I saw an interview where Robin explained what it did and he said Mike made that just for him so it's not on the market...at least not that I know of.
This one?

Xchekker94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Can't Wah Full be achieved by using a Wah which has been left on mid sweep? Build Your Own Clone (dot) com aka 'BYOC', probably have a box and bits you could bung together.