Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old March 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Value of my 1972 Strat?

Hi all - Give me some help here. I am starting to consider getting rid of my '72 Start but i have no idea what I can expect to get for it in the condition it's in. It plays like a dream, but it has what I would call moderate finish wear, the electronics have been replaced with a set of EMG pickups and wiring, and at some point in it's life it had a Kahler whammy and locking nut, but the original bridge is back on now. Obviously it isn't a collector piece, but it is a great playing and sounding guitar. I know it's hard to give a good evaluation from one pic and the description, but give me a ball park, what do you think a fair price for this axe would be, both in cash and trade in at a decent shop (ie. not a GC)? Thanks for the help everyone...

arem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arem View Post
Hi all - Give me some help here. I am starting to consider getting rid of my '72 Start but i have no idea what I can expect to get for it in the condition it's in. It plays like a dream, but it has what I would call moderate finish wear, the electronics have been replaced with a set of EMG pickups and wiring, and at some point in it's life it had a Kahler whammy and locking nut, but the original bridge is back on now. Obviously it isn't a collector piece, but it is a great playing and sounding guitar. I know it's hard to give a good evaluation from one pic and the description, but give me a ball park, what do you think a fair price for this axe would be, both in cash and trade in at a decent shop (ie. not a GC)? Thanks for the help everyone...

Hey, man
Just wondering, have you thought about keeping your 72 Strat..? Cause it looks really sweet, and if it plays great, I'd hold on to it

Like, would you regret selling it later on, since it plays so awesome?

, I looked on Ebay for you, and checked completed listings, and 70's Strats were going for close to $2 grand ..Hopefully, a few other people will chime in..I am not an expert on 70's Strats, lol.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
stevierayfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I've looked at asking prices on ebay for a while, but people seem to only try to sell pretty clean guitars on there. I'm hoping some people here have more real world experience with "players" not minty pieces. Thasnk for the suggestion though!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 17th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arem View Post
I've looked at asking prices on ebay for a while, but people seem to only try to sell pretty clean guitars on there. I'm hoping some people here have more real world experience with "players" not minty pieces. Thasnk for the suggestion though!
No problem.. Best of luck if you sell it ! Hope a few other people chime in to help you, bro.

I should head to bed though..I have a test tomorrow
stevierayfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

I'd guess it would probably be worth over $3k if it were in more original condition, but having been routed out for a bridge humbucker, Kahler and locking nut and not having the original pickups and parts with it, its probably a lot less than that, I'd guess maybe 1/2.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

$500 bucks maybe. Been "frankenstiened."

Just because a guitar is old does not mean it has inflated value.

Keep it. You say it " plays like a dream ". Why get rid of it?

Besides. it's naturally reliced and you didn't have to pay for that ~

Old March 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaell View Post
$500 bucks maybe. Been "frankenstiened."

Just because a guitar is old does not mean it has inflated value.

Keep it. You say it " plays like a dream ". Why get rid of it?

Besides. it's naturally reliced and you didn't have to pay for that ~
Even a Frakenstiened '72 is worth more than 500, and this one doesn't seem to be done so badly either. However I counted 22 frets which would be wrong for 1972, does anyone else count 72 too?
1962 Epiphone Sheraton 50th anniversary
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

it has 22 fret for sure. in 72 they had only 21 fret guiitars
mabley123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hello Arem,

Indeed 21 Frets Only in 1972. Also, Bullet Trus Rod adjustment missing on the headstock!
Have you had this Strat a long time or did you recently purchase this? Looking a little
Highway 1'ish to me with Med/Jumbo Frets and a Decal as well. Hope this is not a test
to check out if Strat Enthusists know their stuff ..... we do!
T-Bodz Terry B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

That's got to be a real heartbreaker to find out that your 72 isn't a 72, if indeed that is the case here. The fact is that the neck looks to be a real Fender, from this picture at least. I would have to see the heel to be sure but if it is a HWY-1 neck then it is financially worth 200 bucks or even a little bit more if the frets are really good.
The unfortunate part is that the rest isn't really worth much at all.

You need to keep this one and enjoy playing it. You can't put a price tag on that, and you don't have to.
If you still want to sell it...and someone offered you 500 bucks for it - You should jump on that money before he changes his mind.
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Can´t be a highway neck. Look at the posts holes. I would need bushing adapters to fit the vintage tuners on a highway one neck. Again the holes are much smaller than on the highway necks. And it would take some awesome craftsmanship job to cover the missing string tree hole in there. Disassemble it and check the neck heel and post its pictures both neck and pocket.

Old March 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

If I had that 72´, I would try returning it to its original peaces. A distressed white pickguard, and some 69 or 57/62 pickups with aged white covers.. Then you´ll have a much much more value on that babe.

Get us closer pictures of the headstock and the back of the strat, wanna take a look in that neck plate.

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Perhaps you are right joakorb. Good pictures would definately be necessary. It could be Warmoth or any number of other names. The point is that better pics are definately necessary in order to determine what it is, as it isn't a 21 fret Fender.
The body looks to have real age on it but then again, from one picture who can tell.

If the OP is just testing us, then we appear to have passed the test. If on the other hand, he wants to find out what he has actually got, at this point he has to disassemble the guitar and post the photos.
I have a sneaking suspician that the body is veneered.
Lets see it!!!
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Not highway neck, but not 72´either. I guess the neck is a real Fender, but who knows what era. What´s missing for it to be a 72´ is the bullet truss rod and the "Pat. number" under Fender logo. Besides it the decals are right on! Detailed pictures please! Headstock front/back, pocket heel front back, neck plate.

Old March 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Left is right!

First, Welcome to the madness.

Second, as said above, it's ain't quite what the man said it was...

If it were a real '72, I would say return it to it's former glory (CS '69 p/u's, aged p/g and covers, etc...) It plays like a dream, so don't lose the dream!

Since it's not right, then I would say either leave it as is (since you like it), or RETURN IT TO ITS FORMER GLORY. The natural aging of the body and neck are much more desirable than a "reliced" one. Gimoure's black Strat had a Kahler forced on it and then removed, so the patch is a battle scar. Lose the EMG's (for the love of all that's right, please) and get some vintage correct units.

As to value, a vintage correct '72 in original condition is up around $1700-$2500 depending on condition. With wood damage, drop at least $500. With the totally wrong p/u's and a 9v added, drop another $500. Wrong neck, $500 more... So I would say $500-$900 tops. If it turns out to be a total fake (after market neck/body), maybe $200.

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I dont know anything about it but I love how it looks
DTrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

If I were you, I'd bring it back to stock and then try and figure out value. Visually, that current setup is going to turn off buyers. You can sell it faster and probably somewhat higher price if it has that vintage stock look.
mutato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Hi all. Some more info on this guitar, which is definitely a real '72, I have owned it since the late 80's. The neck does indeed have 22 frets, a prior owner added a fret at some point (why? I have no idea). It's really cleanly done, but it isn't original obviously. The "bullet" is there on the headstock, but the "dome" of it is missing. This guitar has to be one of the very first 3 bolts, neck date is Jan 1972, but it still has the late '71 headstock decal and only one string tree. I have seen 4 bolt Strats with later serial numbers than this one as well, this one is 336***. I'll add some detailed pics later, but it's too bad that it was so butchered before I got it, it would be a pretty rare bird.

Knowing this, anyone care to hazard another guess at a value for me?

Old March 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dark Cabaret

I don't see how you could 'add' a 22nd fret to a 21 fret guitar. The fret would go right about the spot that the neck ends. There's nothing there to hold the fret in.

Curious.

Old March 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

LOL! @ added a fret ... even if it is really true.

That looks like an American Special neck, if it is MIA. I cannot see if the the truss rod access hole is walnut or plastic lined.

There is something else funky looking behind that graphite nut, but I cannot tell what it is.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is offline   Reply With Quote