Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

should i shield an mim strat

should i add any extra shielding to an mim strat,or leave as supplied if its not too loud,can the cavity just be painted

hendrixfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I am going to be shielding my 01 MIM Strat, I have Texas Specials in it and want to see if I can quiet it down some. I have a Baja Tele which is also going to get shielded as it is really noisy too. My Squier came shielded from the factory and is amazingly quiet. Although in defense of the MIMs they do have far hotter pickups in them.

...Greg
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

how are you going to shield greg

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I used copper on my MIM.
still_fiddlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I ordered the 3 roll conductive tape pack from Stewmac so I can do the underside of the pickguards as well. My Strat has bugged me for years and I finally had had enough of it. I probably wouldn't bother normally but these guitars are REALLY noisy.

...Greg

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Remember kids - if it doesn't hum, it's not a real Fender!

Just be aware that sheilding usually affects the tone of your guitar, generally not in a good way.

Before you shield, try replacing your cables with good pro-grade stuff and doublecheck all of your grounding schemes. Plu some amp, like Champs and Blues Deluxe's are notoriusly noisy due to the cheezey wire routing. If only your Strat does it then - eh, maybe I'd shield, but make sure it's really the guitar and not the rest of your chain first.
Offshore Angler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

From my own experience i've found rewiring to be more effective than shielding.

I remove the factory wired earth loops, and then i wire all earths (including the one from the trem claw) to the earth side of the jack socket, plus one earth from just one of the pots. This eliminates about the most you can hope to achieve of the 60 cycle hum.

Shielding the rear of the pickguard with copper tape helps a little to reduce RF induced hum, use the stuff with conductive adhesive to save having to solder all the joins together.

Use batteries or a Diago power supply (the only one that i know of that genuinely eliminates 60 cycle hum) on your dirt pedals, this seriously reduces noise levels when using any amount of gain.

I have to respectfully disagree with Offshore Angler about shielding changing guitar tone, i have never experienced this with any of the guitars that i have shielded, i can say though, that if you wrap copper tape around your pickups and then solder it to the windings it will effect your tone, you will lose some of the high end.
Jimi Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

My 2008 MIM is amazingly quiet.

Fender MIM Stratocaster 2008
Gretsch G5120
Agile Al-2000
Martin D-35
No name tele copy
Fender Super Champ XD
Martin Soprano uke
Tyler Mtn. banjo uke
jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thanks Offshore Angler, in my case it is definitely just the 2 Mexican Fenders that display this issue. The rest of them are fine. My books tend to agree with you on shielding removing some of the sparkle that gives Fenders their unique sound. Dan Erlewine says it could have that affect and a master builder from Fender that he quotes says it will remove some of the sparkle.

Thanks to you too Jimi Hendrix, I will try rewiring them as a first step as the more I think of it the more I think it could be as much a grounding issue. Do you run grounds from all of the pickups right down to the jack or solder them to a single lead to run down?

You know I am really beginning to think ignorance is indeed bliss as the more I learn the more confused I get.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

...Greg

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I'm not sure if I'd do the shielding thing until I was sure where the hum was coming from. If it only occurs with the Strat, then I would reconsider the grounding on the guitar and do what I could to make certain everything was solidly grounded. But if there are issues with all electric guitars, then you need to start checking some other things like the power source, etc.

I spent three years trying to get rid of a severe hum on my guitars, and after spending hundreds on power line conditioners and different pickups, I finally discovered that the problem was RF interference - something I couldn't fix without rewiring my entire house. I finally gave in and just finished shielding my Telecaster. Along with the Noiseless pickups, my guitar is hum-less! I will definitely shield my Strat project. But if it weren't for the RF interference causing the hum, I probably wouldn't have needed to shield the guitar.

Dean
ddeand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via Yahoo to elementlax
no need to shield
it will be fine as is, shielding will just an extra $2
elementlax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have a 95 MIM and it was horrible! The ceramic pictures were pretty noisy to begin with but if you stood near any electrical device "tv, light, computer, anything" it was just insane.

Got some early era vintage noiseless pickups and avoid having to shield anything.
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Leave um alone. If it bugs you to much just play in position 2 or 4. LOL. Really if you want to do it go for it but I have never seen a need. hum does not bother me just play louder. LOL
07 road house is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

It is only the 2 MIMs that do it so I can't see it being house wiring, although I could be wrong. I am going to be throwing a steel block in my Strat tonight and will redo some of the grounds and see if that makes a difference. Did a bit more reading and the Tele issue could be just a matter of having to run a ground to the bridge plate as that is apparently a pretty common complaint with them.

Thanks Roadhouse but I think my neighbors would have something to say if I played louder.

...Greg

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Thanks Roadhouse but I think my neighbors would have something to say if I played louder.

...Greg[/quote]

I dont want you to get it trouble, my wife says I play to loud. I love to play loud and stand by my amp it makes me feel alive.
07 road house is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

LOL, I would like to be able to really crank it sometimes but I got the smallest room in the house for my music room and when I try and blast it I end up with ringing ears for a few hours. And apparently none of my neighbors are big blues fans.

...Greg

Old February 6th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
Thanks to you too Jimi Hendrix, I will try rewiring them as a first step as the more I think of it the more I think it could be as much a grounding issue. Do you run grounds from all of the pickups right down to the jack or solder them to a single lead to run down?

You know I am really beginning to think ignorance is indeed bliss as the more I learn the more confused I get.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

...Greg
Greg, i run all the grounds (pickups, 1 pot-usually the neck tone pot because then you ground the tone cap at the same time, trem claw) to a single lead, then i connect that lead to the ground side of the signal lead that goes to the jack,

Hope that makes sense.

Jimi.
Jimi Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

some great advice coming from you guys again,don,t think i could tackle any rewiring,wish i could but i,d be worried about messing my guitar up,copper tape looks like the safest option for me

Old February 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Ive got 2 MIM Standards from similar years...only difference are their necks.

When I bought the midnight blue, I considered it noisey and after having great success doing the GUitarnuts "star ground" and shielding on a previous Squier I figured at the least Id shield and forgo with the "star ground" for the time being.
I shielded it and it worked just as good as the shielding and star grounding...and was less work.

I bought the burst shortly thereafter, I left it be for bout a month...the difference being shielded is just a quieter, less noisey, more focused, clean tone. It was obvious when comparing the 2 before and after.

I purchased an 80s MIJ with heavy wear...I didnt shield that one, the noise is just part of the experience.

My Robert Cray wont be shielded by myself...although Id imagine it might have the shielding paint...either way I'll leave it be. Same with my Powerhouse...but it does have a dummy coil.

On this partscaster, I installed a blender, it gets noisey when you blend 2 pickups that arent RWRP from each other, I tried it without, but figured itd only help...and it did.
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

continued(lame, only 4 images?)

AND it had already even had the shielding paint from the factory...Im especially fond of the void where the ground screw goes.

In all, Id say it depends on the guitar and/or project, but Id say MIMs with ceramics would definitely benefit from shielding.
Buy the 3 rolls from Stu Mac, works great and Ive done each and everyone of these guitars with the same 3 rolls I bought 2 years ago for that Squier...and I JUST ran out of the big stuff.
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote