Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Cost of a fret job!?!

What's a expectable amount for a maple neck fret replacement? On my '89 Squier, I'm using a Warmoth neck but I want to use it on another guitar. So I called my local guitar shop to see where I could go for a full fret job and they told me the only luthier in town charges $325 to replace the frets on a maple neck. Seriously! What should I pay assuming it's a typical job? I mean come on, 325 for a fret job. Pffft..

XxDBENCxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I think every time I search this topic, most people recommend just going out and buying a new neck as the most economical option. Getting a new MIM neck and having it detailed probably costs less than most refret jobs.
borismcorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

That's about average. It's very labor intensive to replace frets, then crown/level them.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismcorpheus View Post
I think every time I search this topic, most people recommend just going out and buying a new neck as the most economical option. Getting a new MIM neck and having it detailed probably costs less than most refret jobs.
Yeah, that's the route I'd take unless it's a higher end guitar, a collectible guitar, or if you REALLY like the neck on it.

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

It's my understanding that a maple fretboard is more difficult and expensive then a rosewood. Unless you want to do it yourself, I think I'd go with another neck.
jwhit007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
i know nothing

250-300 sounds about right. remember they have to take the frets out, very carefully, as not to damage the wood or the finish. they always run into unexpected stuff as well. if you like the neck, is well worth it.
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhit007 View Post
It's my understanding that a maple fretboard is more difficult and expensive then a rosewood. Unless you want to do it yourself, I think I'd go with another neck.
a lot of rosewood is bound, and that brings on another can of issues. but if you want to keep the finish in tact, it is usually the case.

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Are you sure it needs refretted? Maybe it just needs leveled and crowned.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
----------------------

In Houston it is between $300 and $350.
Krab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

$325 is kinda high, but yeah, refrets are usually sky high expensive and it is often cheaper just to buy a new neck. A more typical price I've seen quoted is more like $200-$250, but there are lots of shops in the Austin area so there is some competiton, other places may be more expensive. I have heard of people just doing a partial refret at a cheaper price since a lot of times only a few frets (usually the first 3-5) in certain positions wear enough to need replacement, although most luthiers replace the first 7-9 frets to reduce the amount of leveling and dressing needed to flatten everything out. Some people, however, do not like partial refrets for various reasons. If only your first few frets show major wear (typically on the G-B-highE strings) then your neck may be a candidate for it. Price of a partial should be around 1/2 what a full refret would cost... so more like $80-$150. Of course you can often buy a decent used or an inexpensive new neck for even that kind of money.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Louis is correct..... a refret on a maple fingerboard is hell..... to do it right the whole darn neck should be stripped and refinished, in fact, that would be eaiser that way than just carefully pulling the frets because there will inevitably be some finish chipping.... repairing those chips is more art than painting skills... and do it so that its the least bit noticeable and the conversation can turn very unpleasant...

A new neck is 150 – 400 a can of lacquer about 15… if you botch it, you can argue with the face staring you back from the mirror…. I repeat…. Refrets on a maple board can be hell….

Now… if you don’t give a hoot… and just want it playable…. Tell ‘im and the price may drop considerably, Chipped lacquer on some fingerboards cost extra… way extra….

Ron
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I had a Les Paul with super-worn frets that I played that way for years.
finally, I found a guy who said that he'd re-fret it for $100 if I bought
the parts. I did, and I ended up with.. a $100 fret job.

the moral of this story? YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

ShaneRingo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDBENCxX View Post
What's a expectable amount for a maple neck fret replacement? On my '89 Squier, I'm using a Warmoth neck but I want to use it on another guitar. So I called my local guitar shop to see where I could go for a full fret job and they told me the only luthier in town charges $325 to replace the frets on a maple neck. Seriously! What should I pay assuming it's a typical job? I mean come on, 325 for a fret job. Pffft..
Its a labor intensive job. Time consuming. Precision work.
Depending where you are the price can be 200 - 300+ dollars easy.

If you get a hold of Dan Erliwines book called Guitar Repair you'll see what is involved.

Old April 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I had a rosewood telecaster neck done last year, total refret and re-radius done as well. Level, crown, etc etc. Was $300 which was a great price. Yes, could have looked at a new neck but I really like the neck (hard V-profile) so I thought I would get it done. It is very labour intensive.......
thaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Is there a possibility of ordering a neck that's almost exactly the same as the neck you have? Because the neck on my strat is really nice, and feels super-smooth, but if anything happened, I wouldn't want to pay $300 for a refret. Would supplying the shape of the neck profile and the finish used be enough?

"A lot of people want to be successful so they can go out and party and have fun. But to me, making music is the fun part. I'm a weirdo!" -Eddie Van Halen
MelodicBends is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

um, you could also source the job out to the lowest price.

softwarejanitor mentioned Austin as being a competitive market
and I'm sure that you could send a neck to the shop of your
choice.. maybe not now, but something to keep in mind for later.

I wouldn't think twice about using this method, although I'd do
my research (Yelp reviews, etc) as far as which shop or luthier
or whatever to go with.

you could also have a neck made to duplicate what you've got
although that's prob'ly the most expensive route to choose!

ShaneRingo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

my guy did a re-fret for $150 on my AVRI 57....as Ron points out , if your not worried about a little finish coming off when the frets are pulled out the price can be negotiated...my neck had plenty of wear so the finish wasn't much of an issue...$350 seems high to me

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Remember too that we all get used to a new neck very quickly. I have in the past wanted to get a refret and then went the new neck route, feeling that I would never be able to like the new neck as much as the old one but after a few weeks, liked the new one even more!!
thaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaus View Post
Remember too that we all get used to a new neck very quickly. I have in the past wanted to get a refret and then went the new neck route, feeling that I would never be able to like the new neck as much as the old one but after a few weeks, liked the new one even more!!
with a new neck you are still looking at a level crown and polish though if you want it as good as can be. so that adds to the price. plus, you can choose your fretwire when getting a refret. i have a hard time finding necks the way a like them.

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cyfer
with a new neck you are still looking at a level crown and polish though if you want it as good as can be. so that adds to the price. plus, you can choose your fretwire when getting a refret. i have a hard time finding necks the way a like them.
Well Warmonger neck come leveled crowned and red to go if you buy there 300 dollar ones..
XxDBENCxX is offline   Reply With Quote