Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Build your own Stratocaster?

I have seen a couple of places where you can order all the stuff to build your own Strat. Warmoth comes to mind for one. What are your feelings on building your own like this?

I know I could do it, heck, I could probably make the body and neck myself since my uncle has a cabinet shop and about every wood working tool known to man. I have made about 20 Ruger 10/22 stocks out of various wood so I know I can do somehting like this. But, the question is, would it really be worth it.

I can see the fun in doing something like this, and honestly, will probably do it after I learn how to play somewhat. And, your pretty much getting exactly the guitar you want. ....but what is this forums thoughts on it, pros and cons.....voice your opinions please!

Thanks
Shawn

ftgokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

JMO, but I would never build a guitar that I have no idea how it will sound with a bunch of parts from a bunch of different companies. John Mayer could afford to build the most expensive guitar you can think of, and he plays a fender.

Why take the risk for the same or more money to build, I dont get it. go play guitars and buy one that you like, then mod it to be your ultimate guitar. you can return it, resell it for a modest loss (vs. the almost zero value of your partscaster).

the only reason to build is for the "attachment" or whatever you will have with the guitar, IMO.
ebn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn2002 View Post
JMO, but I would never build a guitar that I have no idea how it will sound with a bunch of parts from a bunch of different companies. John Mayer could afford to build the most expensive guitar you can think of, and he plays a fender.

Why take the risk for the same or more money to build, I dont get it. go play guitars and buy one that you like, then mod it to be your ultimate guitar. you can return it, resell it for a modest loss (vs. the almost zero value of your partscaster).

the only reason to build is for the "attachment" or whatever you will have with the guitar, IMO.
partscasters don't have an almost zero resale value. you just have to know how to sell it, i.e. part it out.
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn2002 View Post

it would be significantly cheaper to build your own, not more expensive.
John Mayer gets very expensive, custom built guitars, made to his specifications by highly skilled craftsmen who slap on the fender logo, certainly not a production line guitar. at the end of the day, his guitar is still made by hand, OP could be the next big shot in the custom shop!

OP, i wouldnt discourage you from trying this.

however, i would not even attempt to build a neck if you have no experience. my advice is to buy a routed body blank from warmoth, and shape it to how you like. a warmoth neck would then fit the already routed neck pocket.

maybe if that goes well, try a complete body blank, route it yourself and put on a warmoth (or other brand) neck.

then you should be pretty decent at putting guitars together and sanding/finishing, and you could maybe try your own from scratch.

(FYI i have no real first hand experience at this, but ive been tip toeing around the idea myself for some time)

at the end of the day, you could end up with a beautiful, unique instrument that youd really appreciate....or a piece of muck

Old May 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetar View Post
it would be significantly cheaper to build your own, not more expensive.
John Mayer gets very expensive, custom built guitars, made to his specifications by highly skilled craftsmen who slap on the fender logo, certainly not a production line guitar. at the end of the day, his guitar is still made by hand, OP could be the next big shot in the custom shop!

OP, i wouldnt discourage you from trying this.

however, i would not even attempt to build a neck if you have no experience. my advice is to buy a routed body blank from warmoth, and shape it to how you like. a warmoth neck would then fit the already routed neck pocket.

maybe if that goes well, try a complete body blank, route it yourself and put on a warmoth (or other brand) neck.

then you should be pretty decent at putting guitars together and sanding/finishing, and you could maybe try your own from scratch.

(FYI i have no real first hand experience at this, but ive been tip toeing around the idea myself for some time)

at the end of the day, you could end up with a beautiful, unique instrument that youd really appreciate....or a piece of muck

Yea I see what everyone is saying...money isnt an issue so if I drop 500-600 into building a guitar from parts from Warmoth, I think it will be be fun factor in doing it... I buy and sell custom pool cues and the pool cue I currently shoot with cost me 3200.00. I also make custom cues and a basic cue from me is 350.00. I just think it would be fun to make a guitar. If it turns out to play and sound like a warm monkey turd..well, at least it was fun. But I honestly cant see it turning out that bad. granted, yea, I would buy a neck for the 1st build. But honestly, I think I would tackle building a neck also. I just think it would be fun is all..

Old May 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

You can buy an excellent neck/body combo from Warmoth, add high quality tuners, pickups of your choice, quality electronics and hardware, and have the final setup done by a pro.
Its easy and fun, I have done it several times.
It will be better than any new Fender in my opinion.
StratMike10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I just finished this process. You can read my story here: http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/non-...m-warmoth.html . It's not necessarily cheaper to go this route although it can be. In my case had I not paid a luthier to do the final assembly on mine it would have been a bit cheaper. However, the guitar I have is IMO far superior to what I could have bought off the shelf in the same price range. I played quite a few American Deluxe HSS's off the shelf which is what I patterned this after and it plays far better and sounds better IMO.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact I already am rebuilding my first guitar - the only thing that will be left is the body for nostalgia. I will also be building a telecaster probably later this year. I'm now spoiled and doubt I'll buy another off the shelf electric.
Steve St.Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

sometimes building your own is just plain fun...isn't that what it's all about anyhow?....the joy of it all....I plan to do just that..why?...because I think it would be fun...would I sell it???....probably not...when I find a guitar I like I keep it...

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Well, after much deliberation...I am going to order everything today to build a Wannabe Stratocaster. This will be a fun thing, and probably funny to you guys because I dont even know how to play guitar yet I mean, its gonna be fun, and hopefully it turns out awesome...but, I am not gonna count my chickens till they hatch!

I am taking lessons in 2 weeks, and I am going tomorrow to buy an American Standard...woo hoo, so I will at least have a good guitar to learn on, and if the build takes a nosedive and the guitar I build sounds like a warm opossum turd, then I will at least have a good guitar and lots of lessons will be learn on building a Strat Wannabe

Last edited by ftgokie; May 20th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Good on ya!

I love getting in a order of parts and a few hours later having an awesome new guitar.

Make sure to post your progress!
pinto79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Warmoth stuff is awesome! I would highly recommend it. You'll be in for more than 5-600 though.

Here are my two Warmoth builds

Well the strat has an MJT body with a Warmoth neck.
chipbutty24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I can't even turn a screw without getting into trouble. My wife could probably build one.LOL I have a tech that does all my work. He told me if I got a kit he would put it together for a $100 . However I can paint and that saves me the $350 he was going to charge me.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote