Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Made in Mexico, Made in Japan

Are the bodies on the Made in Mexico, and made in Japan of the same quality? I am thinking they would not be but would rather get the opinions of people that would know for sure. I have a chance to buy a MIM Strat body really cheap and I am thinking that would be a good start on building my 1st Strat. I will buy it regardless because of the price, but wanted opinions as to whether the quality of the wood and dimensions are the same.....

ftgokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

There are a number of different MIM Strats, so there will be variations in the pickup routing.
Early bodies were usually made from poplar, but these days they are made from alder.
Shape wise, MIM bodies are pretty accurate.
STRAT'71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

they will both be good quality,

what I have noticed is the japan bodies have deeper contours, the mexico made are a little thicker contour.

the woods will be different, Japanese sen was used for alot of the japan guitars, like said above mexico used different woods
houseguitarshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks guys. The guy has 2 MIM Strat bodies and 1 MIJ body. he is asking 175.00 for all 3 bodies.

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgokie View Post
Thanks guys. The guy has 2 MIM Strat bodies and 1 MIJ body. he is asking 175.00 for all 3 bodies.
Personally, if the cash was there and they were all in good shape, I'd jump at that. It's less than 60 bux a body.
(assuming I read that right. If it's 175 per body, I'd pass on them all)

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

i've always heard japanese-made guitars were nearly as good as usa-made ones and that most other makes (indonesia, china, mexico) are inferior. comes down to the quality of craftmanship i think.
blackbird86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The MIJ body will be of softer wood. I can't even screw in the back plate any more on mine. I know you can drip some thin CA in the screw holes. My MIM body never needed CA treatment.
jamesc760 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypibri View Post
Personally, if the cash was there and they were all in good shape, I'd jump at that. It's less than 60 bux a body.
(assuming I read that right. If it's 175 per body, I'd pass on them all)
Brother, I would pass at 175.00 each also. They are $175.00 for all 3 of them.

I called him and I am going to pick the bodies up this evening after I get off work. He said he also has 1 set of Fender tuners he will throw in with the bodies, and if I want, he has a set of a set of fender custom shop Texas Special pickups for 85.00. So I think I will get the pickups as well. I will probably buy the necks from Warmoth to build the guitars

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgokie View Post
Brother, I would pass at 175.00 each also. They are $175.00 for all 3 of them.

I called him and I am going to pick the bodies up this evening after I get off work. He said he also has 1 set of Fender tuners he will throw in with the bodies, and if I want, he has a set of a set of fender custom shop Texas Special pickups for 85.00. So I think I will get the pickups as well. I will probably buy the necks from Warmoth to build the guitars
That's a hell of a deal man, I'd be all over it.
barellano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barellano View Post
He is having financial problems and is selling some of his stuff. He knows I am about to learn to play and going to try and build a wanna be Strat, so he called me up last night. he has a bunch of other things I might take off his hands. I am kindof excited to build my 1st guitar and I will post pics as I do also

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The only difference between the MIJ and MIM would mainly be the sunbursts. The MIJ were all solid wood and the MIM have a veneer cap. This is why you see the darker edge of a sunburst cover the belly contour on a MIM Standard's rear. If it's a MIM classic or other, it might be solid. That's a visual clue.
mutato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The Japanese have used alder, ash, sen, poplar, basswood, mahogany, rosewood, walnut among others for Fender strats over the years...some are softer some are not, depends on the model.
When I have screws that won`t tighten on a guitar any longer I stick Japanese tooth picks into the holes and snap them off....Japanese tooth picks are round not flat like the ones I used to see in Canada, they look like miniature Japanese chop sticks...anyways, snap them off inside the hold and repeat if necessary...has worked great for me.
sneakypete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barellano View Post
+1 I have this bug to build some partscasters and that would be a great way to start, so yea, I'd definitely jump on it.

- Leo Fender
LiveOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I'd jump in it to. I love Mexican strats!
I find the best tone with this formula: poly finish with added clear coat for luster and shine, solid state amp, thin pick, cheap cable, VHS tape of "Headbanger's Ball" playing in the background, 24 pack of beer, bottle of whiskey
DosMIMstrats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMIMstrats View Post
I'd jump in it to. I love Mexican strats!
Aside from the price, what is it that you like about the Mexican Strats, as opposed to the Japanese, or American Strats?