Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old June 25th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Vintage 6 screw to 2 point trem conversion?

I was just wondering how hard it would be to convert a vintage 6 screw trem bridge strat body to the modern 2 point "wilkinson" style of bridge?
Has anyone tried it? And what's involved?
Thanks.
Eric

Old June 25th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Like this?

Old June 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Yeah, thats it.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Never done that, but I did go the other way around, from a two point Fender to a six screw Gotoh.

The two outside screws where dead on in the right place. So in your case you'd only have to drill the two outside screw holes a bit bigger to fit the two studs in, and bobs yer unkle.

Course, I don't know if the Wilkinson holes will match up the same ?
S.M.A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I did this one with ease, the 2 end screw holes seemed to line right up. just had to drill the holes and tap in the bushings. oh, just noticed this one is a Shaller yours is a Wilkinson may be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage 6 screw to 2 point trem conversion?-resize.jpg  
TubbyTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

My luthier friend did it for me. I believe he used the outside screw holes for the posts and "doweled" the rest. He may have also used some hybrid epoxy mixture to strengthen the side of the control cavity that abuts the bridge anchors. He also refretted it with Dunlop 6100 wire at the same time. Plays real dreamy.

Old June 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage59 View Post
My luthier friend did it for me. I believe he used the outside screw holes for the posts and "doweled" the rest. He may have also used some hybrid epoxy mixture to strengthen the side of the control cavity that abuts the bridge anchors. He also refretted it with Dunlop 6100 wire at the same time. Plays real dreamy.
I used epoxy as well as doweled the extra holes, still very easy install all the same.

Old June 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

why would you do that? people do all those things to their precious guitars without understanding proper setup can solve whatever problem theyre having (not talking about switching pickups or so, usually mechanical changes). also doing those kind of things oftenly gives you more disadvantages than advantages and who the hell wants that?
Voyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyce View Post
why would you do that?
Some people like change.

You might also look at the Hipshot bridge. It's designed to accomodate some variance in spacing between the screws.

6 String US Flat Tremolo Chrome > Store > Hipshot Products

$86 here:
Hipshot® US Flat Tremolo. Chrome - Flat Tremolos by GPDUSA.COM

Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. ~ King Solomon
Phostenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phostenix View Post
Some people like change.
they can get some bareknuckles / change a pickguard / buy another guitar
just why ruining the guitar you currently have??

Old June 26th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
why would you do that? people do all those things to their precious guitars without understanding proper setup can solve whatever problem theyre having (not talking about switching pickups or so, usually mechanical changes). also doing those kind of things oftenly gives you more disadvantages than advantages and who the hell wants that?
some people like the feel of the 2 point trem. i have them both ways. there is definitely a difference.
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
that guy is a heck. i am surprised he managed to put it on straight

Old June 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cyfer View Post
that guy is a heck. i am surprised he managed to put it on straight
You ruined his guitar, didn't you?

Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. ~ King Solomon
Phostenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

louis is totally kidding. The guy we go to is amazing.

@Voyce,

The guitar is far from ruined, it plays better than Fender ever imagined it could.

The Wilkinson bridge is light years better quality than the stock MIM bridge, functionally and tone-wise. I can whammy the daylights out of it and it comes back to pitch every time. It also has a steel, full inertia block. The result is very crisp, responsive and the guitar has a sweet sounding ring that wasn't there before.

Old June 26th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
louis is totally kidding. The guy we go to is amazing.

@Voyce,

The guitar is far from ruined, it plays better than Fender ever imagined it could.

The Wilkinson bridge is light years better quality than the stock MIM bridge, functionally and tone-wise. I can whammy the daylights out of it and it comes back to pitch every time. It also has a steel, full inertia block. The result is very crisp, responsive and the guitar has a sweet sounding ring that wasn't there before.
I assure you, you can get that with the original bridge.
even the MIM bridge is VERY high quality. its all about simplicity.

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
they can get some bareknuckles / change a pickguard / buy another guitar
just why ruining the guitar you currently have??
well I disagree, I think the Shaller was a hell of a improvement. also I don't think of Modding as ruining my guitar, now if it was a Vintage piece that's not a player... than I agree with you, keep it original.. but I play these things not look at 'em... JMHO

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
I assure you, you can get that with the original bridge.
even the MIM bridge is VERY high quality. its all about simplicity.
there is a big quality difference between the mim stock and the wilkinson. the 2 point feels very different than the 6 screw.

Old June 28th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cyfer View Post
there is a big quality difference between the mim stock and the wilkinson. the 2 point feels very different than the 6 screw.
if its about the feel of the bridge, he should go right ahead. but if hes doing it for better results, thats probably because his guitar is not well set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTone View Post
well I disagree, I think the Shaller was a hell of a improvement. also I don't think of Modding as ruining my guitar, now if it was a Vintage piece that's not a player... than I agree with you, keep it original.. but I play these things not look at 'em... JMHO
i know what youre talking about... its not like i dont mod my strats. i change pickups, i rewire, i changed one of my bridges to floyd rose. i came along to understand that minor "improvements" that are done or thought to be done usually by people who dont actually know why the original pieces so good and how to make them work better, eventually coming to actually decreasing the quality of their guitars. you have to look at it like this. no matter what you do to your guitar, its gonna have advantages and disadvantages. and we are shooting for less disadvantages and more advantages.

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

This is a great thread because both sides of the issue are really accurately presented.

Certain guitars are treated as "expendible" and others are not.

I've modded several Modern Teles back to vintage configuration. But in Strats I have about a One to One proportion of Vintage Style to Modern, and I like them equally for different reasons in whatever configuration they're already in. And what I find is, if I REALLY want a bomb proof tremolo, I reach for one of my G + L trem guitars! :^)
Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
if its about the feel of the bridge, he should go right ahead. but if hes doing it for better results, thats probably because his guitar is not well set-up.
if you are talking about vintage59's guitar, that is the best set up guitar you will ever touch. bar none.
beleayukba is offline   Reply With Quote