Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Stratocaster Harness And Wiring

Does having vintage wiring or cloth wiring harnesses vs. stock standard wiring make a difference in tone? I see many websites that claim their wiring kits with better pots and components are the easiest way to improve my tone. I was also told that if you have vintage voiced pickups they'll sound much better with vintage wire and pots etc.Do these things such as the wire, pots etc. really make a difference? Even if the difference is subtle do the people here in Strat-Talk believe its something that's neccesary?

The Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Some people say that potentiometers make a difference in tone, but I don think it's true. Tapers do matter, better quality pots wont fail as soon as cheap ones, but it wont be a night and day difference. Caps may change your tone. As for the cloth wires, they just make the insides of your guitar look neater, no effect on the tone.
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I was curious about this because a tech once told me that the only difference that it makes is more noise, and since then I have avoided touching the electronics in my guitars. From what you're saying Creep it sounds like the only difference is quality and so my tone will have better quality, if that makes any sense.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bluesman View Post
I was curious about this because a tech once told me that the only difference that it makes is more noise, and since then I have avoided touching the electronics in my guitars. From what you're saying Creep it sounds like the only difference is quality and so my tone will have better quality, if that makes any sense.
The noise can come from a lot of places, sometimes it's a poor wiring design(ground loops for once), bad shielding, faulty parts. However I have rewiried and shielded numerous guitars with CTS, Bourns and Alpha pots and I havent noticed any positive or negative effect on the noise.
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Alright then perfect I am going to "upgrade" my guitar with one of these harnesses soon. Thanks Creep now its deciding which company's harness to go with.

Old September 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post
I have rewiried and shielded numerous guitars with CTS, Bourns and Alpha pots and I havent noticed any positive or negative effect on the noise.
Same here (minus the Bourns).
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

check out rs guitarworks harnesses and capacitors.

if you want top of the line wiring and caps for a good price look no further.

check out their 280 super pot for volume control
mabley123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
i know nothing

are you kidding? better quality component doesn't necessarily equal better quality tone. you are misunderstanding what is said. as far as tone, only the cap is gonna make a difference. the pots will make a difference is you change the value. getting a harness is a big waste, putting it together yourself is a lot cheaper. don't drink the coolaid.
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cyfer View Post
getting a harness is a big waste, putting it together yourself is a lot cheaper. don't drink the coolaid.
it's ridiculous how much people want for a few pots, a cap or two and a switch wired together.
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

If I was any good with soldering or wiring Id seriously perform the task myself, but I have destroyed many things related to wiring and soldering that I try my best to stay away from them.