Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old April 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Great! Sounds like you understand how its supposed to work, and you are right... there should be no need to wind the tremolo arm in so tight that it balls up the stiff Fender spring. Now if I were you I'd go buy 11 more strats to use up those springs before you lose 'em.

joeybsyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
if I were you I'd go buy 11 more strats to use up those springs before you lose 'em.
yeah, let me go run that by the wife....especially since I've been unemployed for a month now. (thankfully, she's got a pretty good job - knock wood)
CrimsonHighway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I guess "balled up" would be the wrong term...more like it kinked it to the side a bit to where it was stuck inside the trem arm hole. I didn't crank it down with undue torque, but I wanted to make sure all the threads were fully engaged. Maybe that was even too much. Anyhoooo, the Loc-tite worked for me, but as its been said so many times before...YMMV!!! Go with what works for you, but there's almost always another way.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Blue 242 Loc-tite has a fairly mild adhesive property...just enough so a bolt, or in this case a trem arm, won't unscrew/ flop around/ cause other untold aggravation. There are stronger levels of Loc-tite...obviously not recommended.
242 is a medium strength loctite, Im a helicopter mechanic and I use it regularly on high speed,critical rotating parts, it has WAY more adhesion then you may think. Its normal mode of removal is with heat.

My own personal opinion is there is absolutely no place on a guitar that any loctite should find a home.

Not trying to pick a fight here...
Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 01:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

loctite is fine it binds to the threads,giving more resistance to the arm,its reccomended by many guitar techs and books,i just read about using it in an issue of guitarist magazine,remember we are not talking about tons of the stuff just a small amount

Rob
hendrixfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Jabs, I'm not trying to pick a fight,either. As a bicycle mechanic, I've used blue Loc-tite for applications where one would not want a threaded part to loosen due to vibration, but where one may periodically have to remove the part (say, crankarm bolts or bottom bracket fixed cup). It seemed it would work for my trem arm and, in fact, did....for me.

This is strictly my opinion I'm tossing out there. As with any opinion, one needs to make their own decision regarding validity or practicality.

So....friends?

Old April 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I will speak for Jabs, dman and everyone else:
We are ALL friends....just trying to help one another out with what we each consider to be 'good' ideas.

We are STRAT people and thus, friends.
CrimsonHighway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Amen! Well said!!

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Nope guys, no issues here! Always friends!

Maybe im misunderstanding your use of this, if you want the arm to move then 242 is not going to do it for you, if your locking it in place then that will work. I assumed the topic was on the arm still being able to twist but just with friction.

The loctite that binds is not 242, 242 dries hard and chips off. There is a kind though that acts like the teflon tape idea would, stays soft and adds a bit of thickness to the threads but doesnt chip or dry hard, I cant remember the name right now but i will look.
Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
By the way, I wouldn't recommend even the Fender springs. I bought a used Squier Pro Tone last year and put a trem arm spring in to cure the "floppy arm syndrome". I ended up with the same situation as Elementlax...the spring all balled up. To boot, I developed a weird smpathetic vibration on some notes coming from the bridge. I finally managed to dig out the spring and the vibration went away when I went to the Loc-tite trick. Was it the spring? Dunno, but both the spring and the vibration are gone now!
I use a little beeswax that I keep to lube neck screws in builds on the spring, it's sticky enough to help the spring stay put when the arm is out and keeps the vibrations down as well.

Old May 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Guitar parts resource has the springs from fender..
Axeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementlax View Post
NEVER do the ball point pen spring thing.
the spring gets balled up, and its been stuck in my guitar for a couple months, cant get it out!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for the necro-post, I didn't want to start another thread.

I did what elementlax describes above.
Has this happened to anyone else and have they figured out how to get the blasted thing out?

thanks
Stevie 202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonHighway1 View Post
I'm missing the little spring that goes in the bridge for the tremolo arm (never had a trem guitar before so I don't even know what one looks like).

The area stores are out of stock.
What makes a good substitute for one?

(I did a search but didn't turn up anything)
I buy mine from ebay. Packet of 6 for just a few dollars. The correct Fender springs work well, arm stays in position and can be moved easily when you want to. New Am Strats come with a small silver sticky label over the trem arm hole to prevent the spring falling out. You remove it and fit the arm. I put the label back on if I take the arm out.

Find your own setup. What's right for Mark Knopfler is not right for Eric Clapton.
Stewie53 is offline   Reply With Quote