Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum



Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com


Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Age: 34
Posts: 3,240
250k Vs 500k pots...???

What's the difference in the tone between the two...?

When would you use one over the other and why...?

Thanks!!!

Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
orcslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ajax, Canada
Age: 66
Posts: 1,439
500k are for a brighter sound & are typically used with Humbucker equipped guitars to reduce the middy sound & brighten it up.

Single coil pups usually have 250k pots to add warmth & get rid of too much "ice pick" treble.
orcslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Age: 34
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcslayer View Post
500k are for a brighter sound & are typically used with Humbucker equipped guitars to reduce the middy sound & brighten it up.

Single coil pups usually have 250k pots to add warmth & get rid of too much "ice pick" treble.
Thanks!!!

Is a volume pot and a tone pot the same thing...? It's in how you wire it...?
Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old February 8th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member
 
fenderkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Emerald Isle
Posts: 5,112
A lot of stacked Noiseless pups recommend 500k pots too. Volume and Tone pots are the same, except a Tone pot has a capacitor soldered into it to reduce high frequencies when you turn it down! 250k pot with 0.022uf cap', gives you almost the same sound as a 500k pot with a 0.047uf cap'. 500k pot with 0.022uf cap= "Very Trebly".
fenderkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker
 
MrMerino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylas Daddy

Thanks!!!

Is a volume pot and a tone pot the same thing...? It's in how you wire it...?
Generally speaking, tone and volume Pots are interchangable. But um, a Lot of Times, Pots with Audio (logarithmic) Taper are used for Volume While linear Pots are used for tone Control.
__________________
"They were no use as transport because their backs would snap instantly, but the Vogons sat on them anyway."

-Douglas Adams
MrMerino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Age: 34
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderkev View Post
A lot of stacked Noiseless pups recommend 500k pots too. Volume and Tone pots are the same, except a Tone pot has a capacitor soldered into it to reduce high frequencies when you turn it down! 250k pot with 0.022uf cap', gives you almost the same sound as a 500k pot with a 0.047uf cap'. 500k pot with 0.022uf cap= "Very Trebly".
What cap and when....?

Is it a personal thing on what cap to use on a 250K pot...?

I have some Fender Tex Mexs pickups coming. What cap (if any) would I use with them...?
Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer
 
stevierayfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Private
Posts: 6,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylas Daddy View Post
What cap and when....?

Is it a personal thing on what cap to use on a 250K pot...?

I have some Fender Tex Mexs pickups coming. What cap (if any) would I use with them...?
hey, man
I have Tex mex's in my Strat now...I think because they are overwound and punchy sounding, then an in between value would be better...022µF prob. .
__________________
"Never Give Up!!!-Stark-buddy.
"Thank you every-buddy who has helped me"
"If we don't learn from our mistakes, we're destined to fail."RB-buddy.

Last edited by stevierayfan91; February 9th, 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: fixed after more knowledge given by FenderKev
stevierayfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Age: 34
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierayfan91 View Post
hey, man
I have Tex mex's in my Strat now...I think because they are overwound and punchy sounding, a less bright cap value would be better...022µF prob. .
Good Deal, Thanks!!!
Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member
 
fenderkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Emerald Isle
Posts: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierayfan91 View Post
hey, man
I have Tex mex's in my Strat now...I think because they are overwound and punchy sounding, a less bright cap value would be better...022µF prob. .
022uf is one of the BRIGHTEST capacitors! If you want less 047uf is the one to go for, but with slightly overwound pups like Tex Mex an 022uf cap' with a 250k pot is what you need. Same advice, different reason.
fenderkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Age: 34
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderkev View Post
022uf is one of the BRIGHTEST capacitors! If you want less 047uf is the one to go for, but with slightly overwound pups like Tex Mex an 022uf cap' with a 250k pot is what you need. Same advice, different reason.
022uf cap it is!!!
Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer
 
stevierayfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Private
Posts: 6,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderkev View Post
022uf is one of the BRIGHTEST capacitors! If you want less 047uf is the one to go for, but with slightly overwound pups like Tex Mex an 022uf cap' with a 250k pot is what you need. Same advice, different reason.
ahh, I see...I wordeed it a bit clumsily..I meant an in between value in that range with 250K so the Tex Mex wouldn'tn't sound muddy?

how would a .1 cap affect the Tex Mex?
__________________
"Never Give Up!!!-Stark-buddy.
"Thank you every-buddy who has helped me"
"If we don't learn from our mistakes, we're destined to fail."RB-buddy.
stevierayfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
nickmsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Age: 28
Posts: 6,950
Hey Randy, these Tex Mexes are VERY bright and punch through the mix very well. I have a set in my "San Diego" 1979 tribute. Mexican Body, American neck.
I love the way they sound. I think you'll like them, especially as an upgrade to the MIM standards. I recommend that you run the 2nd tone to the bridge, because the bridge is way ear piercing on these sets to me. If you find the bridge to be too much, you can put back in the MIM bridge pickup.

And also, the Tex Mexes' wiring colors are a little different. Usually the middle is yellow, but I think it's different on the Tex Mexes. Should have labeled them for ya, sorry bout that. I know the one with the shortest leads is the bridge, if that helps.
nickmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member
 
fenderkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Emerald Isle
Posts: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierayfan91 View Post
how would a .1 cap affect the Tex Mex?
In the words of Dirk Wacker of Premier Guitar, "completely dark and clinically dead”.
fenderkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Age: 34
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmsmith View Post
Hey Randy, these Tex Mexes are VERY bright and punch through the mix very well. I have a set in my "San Diego" 1979 tribute. Mexican Body, American neck.
I love the way they sound. I think you'll like them, especially as an upgrade to the MIM standards. I recommend that you run the 2nd tone to the bridge, because the bridge is way ear piercing on these sets to me. If you find the bridge to be too much, you can put back in the MIM bridge pickup.

And also, the Tex Mexes' wiring colors are a little different. Usually the middle is yellow, but I think it's different on the Tex Mexes. Should have labeled them for ya, sorry bout that. I know the one with the shortest leads is the bridge, if that helps.
Thanks, I will look you up if I need help.
Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
kgbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OC, California
Age: 43
Posts: 1,258
Send a message via AIM to kgbeast Send a message via MSN to kgbeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylas Daddy View Post
What's the difference in the tone between the two...?

When would you use one over the other and why...?

Thanks!!!
You can dial the 500K pots to 250K and get exact same volume and or brightness (on your tone) as you can with 250K maxed out. That is all.

500K pots will just give you more range. A little louder a little brighter., or you can roll down both to about 7-8 to make it the same as the same guitar with 250K pots.

Volume pot is usually audio taper, the tone some prefer linear, so they can be the same, but can be different (a little). I think audio taper on both is pretty good start.

And by the way, going with 1M pots, will not produce any audible result comparing to 500K
kgbeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeast View Post
You can dial the 500K pots to 250K and get exact same volume and or brightness (on your tone) as you can with 250K maxed out.
Am I reading this right? If I've got a bad (defective) audio taper 250k volume pot (in a Telecaster), and I replace it with a 500k audio taper, you're saying that I'll be able to get ALL of the performance typical of a 250k pot, and then some?

And if a 500k pot will do ALL of what a 250k pot does with added benefits, and a 1-meg pot "produces no audible difference from a 500k pot" (as you've said here), then why wouldn't all manufacturers simply choose 1-meg pots?

I don't know what it is, but something just doesn't seem right about this.

Anyone?
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Am I reading this right? If I've got a bad (defective) audio taper 250k volume pot (in a Telecaster), and I replace it with a 500k audio taper, you're saying that I'll be able to get ALL of the performance typical of a 250k pot, and then some?

And if a 500k pot will do ALL of what a 250k pot does with added benefits, and a 1-meg pot "produces no audible difference from a 500k pot" (as you've said here), then why wouldn't all manufacturers simply choose 1-meg pots?

I don't know what it is, but something just doesn't seem right about this.

Anyone?
No, this is not really true. Volume pot is wired like a voltage divider, so guitar sees 500k or 250k input resistance on the pot only. Now, if you connect it to e.g. Boss type pedal, you' have 166k (almost twice less).
Another point which is often overlooked is that if you decrease volume pot and stay at 50% resistance than your pedal sees guitar as electrical source with 250k internal resistance for 500k pot and 125k resistance in case of 250k pot. I don't really know how this might influence sound, but electrically is rather different than original situation where your pickup of roughly 5k drives the pedal.
I've chosen boss pedals as they are typically 500k input impendance, for good amp it would be in range of 1M, but similar reasoning applies.
kaludjerko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA, USA
Age: 51
Posts: 489
You use pedals with 500k input impedance? That would just make a guitar a little darker if it's the first device you plug into. Personally, I'd tune things to the 1M input standard.

You can use 500k audio taper pots and just put the tone at ~7 to change the total guitar load to ~125k, like with 250k pots. The only difference is, the higher the pot value, the less linear and fine will be the tonal adjustment with audio taper pots. That matters when you get to about 4 or 5 on the pot and you like to adjust the sound very finely. In which case, a low capacitance cable will further help with the subtle differences in that range. It is worth it, IMO. If you are trying to get more highs, a low-C cable will produce better sounding results than 500k pots will.

An average Strat PUP has a ~9db average resonance peak at the point determined by the interaction between the pickups and the total C-load (Capacitance load), in this case, cable C-load. If that C-load drops to ~100pF or lower, the resonance peak starts to disappear, and the high end comes up significantly.

Depending on the Q-factor of the pole-piece materials, some pickups have even higher peaks, +12dB. That peak is less pronounced in a higher inductance version of the same design. Badly constructed high inductance (~8H+) pickups can sometimes require 1M pots to have enough bite and high end.

The resistance load serves to moderate the gain on the resonance peak. With 250k pots on an well constructed average Stat, it's a nice round ~3dB. It's as much as ~8dB with 500kpots, and much sharper in shape. If the peak is ~9dB with no load, you can see how 1meg pots wouldn't make much difference. Before you change pots, consider a lower-C cable with the pots you have. When the resonance is at the right point with 250k pots, you can't ask for a better Strat tone.
Aquaflan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
New Member!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Interesting answer. If I understand correctly, resonance peak appears only because of the cable capacitance? So for traditional sound you'd actually want to have non-perfect cable, to give peaky frequency response ...
I just checked, actually Boss specifies most of their pedals as 1M (only DS1 is 470 Ohms???). My bad, sorry for misinformation, I had in my mind 500k as typical for pedals and 1M for tube amps.
kaludjerko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA, USA
Age: 51
Posts: 489
Not really. The total C (Capacitance) load interacts with the L (inductance) of the pickups to form a the resonance. The values of each determines the frequency of that resonance. The cable is essentially a capacitor. It's total value depends on it's rated C/per foot. Wilde BL-150 low-C cable is 20pF/foot. Tone caps work the same way, but their C-value doesn't come into play until below ~4 on the tone knob (for an audio taper pot). The total R (Resistance) load (normally determined by pot values) moderates the gain of the peak and the frequencies above it.

As far as good sounding resonances go, most speakers roll-off highs at ~4 - 5kHz, so tuning the resonance above ~6kHz is pretty useless. 4.2-4.5kHz on the lead pickup is an ideal "bell tone". Above ~5.7kHz pretty much eliminates any peak, which can be more useful for post-eqing. Who can say which you'll prefer?

Yeah, the Boss site shows 470 Ohms on the DS1 input. That can't be right. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 470pF cap on the input of the distortion section, but I’d think it would be a much higher value than that, like 2 - 3nF.
Aquaflan is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pots....500k vs 250k toolshed Stratocaster Discussion Forum 9 November 7th, 2011 04:20 PM
250k vs. 500k Pots... Boognish Stratocaster Discussion Forum 11 July 25th, 2011 12:43 PM
250k vs 500k pots? Darryld1 Tech-Talk 10 May 10th, 2011 11:00 AM
250k or 500k pots for my Pro Tone lilblackduck DIY Strat Forum 0 March 16th, 2011 09:01 PM
250k vs 500k pots? beeastman123 Stratocaster Discussion Forum 5 December 12th, 2010 07:55 PM

Untitled Document

Untitled Document

» Recent Strat-Talk Discussion
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



 


Design by: vBulletin Skins Zone
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2


The words Fender®, Telecaster®, Stratocaster® and the associated headstock designs are registered trademarks of the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
Strat-Talk.com is an independent, member supported forum and is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
© 2007 All rights reserved.

Strat-Talk.com is not responsible for the content posted by private individuals on this website. The views expressed herein are solely the opinions of the individuals that produced them and not necessarily the views of the owner of this website.