Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Best strap locks??

Hey - I wanna grab a set of straplocks for my new Strat, and was curious as to what everyone thinks the best are? I'm interested in what is the best value[price]and what are the smallest in size[I hate how straplocks tend to be so large sometimes]? Any opinions/info would be helpful.......

TSims1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I use the Schaller strap locks. Very positive lock and even if the locking mechanism breaks gravity holds your guitar in place. You may have to (probably should) widen the hole on your strap to properly accommodate the part that attaches to the strap.
PeteG45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Tried a lot of makes...and I adopted Schaller. Both my Strats have Schaller and they never fell off to work. I would now never play a guitar without them.
BigNorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

i use schaller
kurdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Suspended

Schaller.
midifarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I prefer Dunlop....
maddog444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

iv never bought a single pair of straplocks.........i make my own.....they even work better the some iv tried......i just us a washer...under the screw and i puy o the strap...and it wont coem offf....works for me...
Rokit5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
LeftyStrategist

Dunlop, to stir the mix ... IMHO

Old August 24th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I love the dunlop plastic ones - incredibly cheap, instant to fit, leaves the original strap buttons on the guitar and look discrete.

I did go for some funky looking Q-Parts ones on my heavy-metal SG though - like these: http://www.music123.com/Q-Parts-Meta...29744.Music123
Astro1176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks for the input!

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

dunlop plastics or the washers, I'm cheep.

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

I use only the Dunlops but they are large, no doubt about it.

Maybe your should use the Grolsch bottle washers instead of a commercial product.

The cold reason I don't simply do that? Easy. I have one Gazillion guitars and I use just 3 straps for all of them. The Grolsch deal assumes a dedicated strap for each and every guitar. Another thing. Straps kept with/on the guitar will eventually melt into the finish or discolor the finish, some way or another. I've suffered that fate; no more. I keep the strap and the guitar apart when not in use.
Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bubbanov View Post
...Straps kept with/on the guitar will eventually melt into the finish or discolor the finish, some way or another. I've suffered that fate; no more. I keep the strap and the guitar apart when not in use...
Is this just with Nitro finishes or with Poly as well?
Astro1176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Straplocks like schaller and suchs is BAD for the guitar... When you mount them to the guitar you change the gravity and the guitar will be damaged and you have to redo the hole ect ect... therefore:
+1 for
DUNLOP STRAPLOK ERGO LOK - Dansk International Cyberstore

They keep your guitar intact and leave the gravity where it should be
hedegaardo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I replaced the standard strap pins on my Strats with Schallers. No need to redo any holes...they just screwed into the existing holes with the same size hardware. The difference in weight is less than half an ounce. Hell, the difference in weight between my MIA and MIM strats vary more than that by themselves. No damage from installing the locks and the "gravity" is the same...except when I play on the moon, of course.

If you happen to be referring to the "center of gravity", no human will notice the difference unless you have it mounted on a balance fixture in a laboratory. Seriously, do you really think you could pick up two different guitars and tell which one has strap locks if you didn't look first? I think not...
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

yup dunlop plastic ones are the best

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I use the Dunlop Dual Design Strap Locks. That way if I have an emergency (like I forget my strap), I can run to a store and grab cheap strap and use that for the night.

Like Boris, I have only a couple straps I like, and many guitars (and basses) I use them with, so everything gets Dunlops when I buy it.

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Well, that does it. I've decided on the Dunlop Straplok Ergo Locks. They are cheap, don't alter the guitar or appearance, light, and CHEAP!! I've had Schaller's in the past, and they are great, dependable locks but the size and look have always bothered me. I'm excited to see how these Dunlop's work out.....

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Ive tried every strap lock they ever made and the plastic ones are hands down the best.... good choice

Old August 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Boris wrote: Another thing. Straps kept with/on the guitar will eventually melt into the finish or discolor the finish, some way or another. I've suffered that fate; no more. I keep the strap and the guitar apart when not in use.
Great responses, I'm going to try more options, the standard Dunlops arrived on my 'used' Tele, not sure about 'metal' Dunlops, yet. The Grolsch red rubber gaskets are a used by lots of guitar players!

Namelyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote